Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

531K code help

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mick.. 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 94 GQ ute I recently purchased with some surface rust. I've buzzed it back and primed it.

I went into Autobarn today to get some paint to spray on. My colour code is 531k. According to their system they don't recognise the k, which I presume is the trim. Anyway my problem lies with the 531 colour, they have two on their system that are slightly different, both are white though one has slightly more grey in it. Both are apparently Nissan colours and I can't figure out why they have two different colours with the same code. Short of taking the ute down and there and finding the best match does anyone know how to differentiate the two different colours and determine which one is on my ute?

#3 ·
I've only just started a short automotive painting course, but one of the first things the teacher told us was that there's a number of variations to colour codes, and that there's no exact science behind them.
Never would've thought there'd be 80 for some! Strewth!

#7 ·
I used the one with a little bit of yellow in it, from autobarn. Looks good on the car, definitely can't see any yellow.
Also did my brother in laws car and got paint from a different shop, when asked about the different mixes I said the one with yellow in it. Old mate said yeah righto and paint looks exactly the same as mine

#8 ·
Not all white patrols are the same. For touch ups with a can I wouldn't be to concerned though.

You can get 3 all from the same year and all have different variations in them. To make white they generally have white, yellow, black, a touch of red or green and even a touch of blue or violet depending on the colour. White isn't white by any means and if you where to just go out and paint a door in any of those whites and assume it's good on one car it will be on another you could easily have a car looking like a taxi. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.