Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some alloy blocks for my ford maverick swb "89" they are 55mm wide and 2" lift. Now that I have bought them a few people have said I should have bought 75mm because they have heard of people putting them through there floors from impact. Any reviews or opinions. I'm still going to put them in but just some other opinion would be great. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
well its illeagal for starters your only aloud 50mm blocks and i wouldnt reckomend it man the body wont be very stable and might snap bolts alot

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
well its illeagal for starters your only aloud 50mm blocks and i wouldnt reckomend it man the body wont be very stable and might snap bolts alot

i think he is referring to 55mm being the diameter of the block, and the block being a total of 2” or 50mm high.

but on you saying that also,
i have seen on the forum in a post by Big O...
he did some work on a GQ that had a body lift measuring 85mm's.
there was no feedback on whether it was stable or if he had snaped bolts etc,
but if he was using high tensile bolts, i wouldnt see that being an issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
nah were he said 2" block the 2" block is illeagal but a 50mm block isnt but on the width as far as i know the wider the better im looking at doing one on my shorty

·
Part of the furniture
4,567 Posts
nah were he said 2" block the 2" block is illeagal but a 50mm block isnt but on the width as far as i know the wider the better im looking at doing one on my shorty
how can it be illegal?

2 inches = 50mm
50mm = 2 inches

2 inches is actually 50.8mm, being .8 of a mm would not get you a defect notice!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Clearly we are talking about a 50mm/2" body lift. Anyway if the diamter of your blocks is 50mm I would say it is too small. The normal supports are a bit bigger than 70mm, so I would aim for about the same size. I have a 30mm lift with 70mm diameter blocks and used high tensile strenght bolts.

Also take care about getting everything loosened up well before installing. Also that height of body lift will require some work on the gear shifter sticks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gear stick bend or cut floor?

So I have installed my body lift. I have heard that I have to cut out my floor around the 4wd lever. I also heard you can bend the lever how do I go about doing either of these. I would rather bend the leer then butcher my floor cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To get it on the money for you guys, 50mm is not legal in victoria at the moment, 49mm is but once you get to 50mm you require an engineer cert. just be safe and do what we do, use blocks that are 70mm dia and 48mm high.
Check the vic roads site for more info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do I have to remove the radiator shroud?

So I have heard I have to remove the radiator shroud after installing a 2" body lift. I have a dual fuel "89" mav an I heard that only applies to diesels is this true?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
So I have heard I have to remove the radiator shroud after installing a 2" body lift. I have a dual fuel "89" mav an I heard that only applies to diesels is this true?
You will know once your fan runs, it will either make all kinds of wonderful scrubbing noises or it will be alright

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So I have installed my body lift. I have heard that I have to cut out my floor around the 4wd lever. I also heard you can bend the lever how do I go about doing either of these. I would rather bend the leer then butcher my floor cheers.
Did you fit the 55mm diatmeter blocks? As stated by others including you they will be too small and will punch through the floor mount of the GQ.

This happened to me. They punched a really neat 50mm hole straight through the rear body mounts and do you think that was an easy fix??

If you fitted the 55mm blocks then most of the work is done, i would get a set of 70mm blocks and replace each of the 55s one at a time and should not take more than an hour or two if you have just fitted them.

With regards to your lever... You have got buckleys of bending the lever. You need to cut a slot in the floor directly behind the transfer lever to allow it to move back far enough to engage. You will likely also have to cut a little out of the back of the rubber boot of the gear stick or it will get in the way.

Mate there is a heap of threads dedicated to doing a body lift on a GQ on this forum.....use the search feature for info and pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts