Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just bought a GQ with a gu 4.2 turbo diesel motor and box in it. im having a problem selecting 5th gear. it crunches/grinds everytime. is this a common problem for these boxes? is there an easy fix or is it something like syncros or bearings etc
any help would be great thanks guys

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is it grinding as you try to put it into 5th or is it grinding when in gear?

If it's grinding going into gear it could be the wrong oil in the gearbox, are all the rest of the gearchanges smooth?

If it's grinding whilst in gear then you most likely have a broken 5th gear/spline.

Check the colour of the gearbox oil, is it dirty/rusty coloured?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Its not normal I'd say a worn gearbox could be the issue. But do as Notso said to start with. Change the oil.

If its one of the early gearboxes, they had regular issues with failing 5th gears. Shed loads of threads on that issue.

·
Registered
nissan gq
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah grinds going in. went and seen the guys at big o 4x4 and he said its a common problem on the early gu boxes. he said change oil it might help but its more then likely the syncros. anybody know how hard it is to change them

·
Registered
nissan
559 Posts
Change to VMX 80 and see what happens... magic ...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Castrol. Most auto shops stock it like Repco, Supercrap and Autofarce

·
Registered
Nissan GU 4.2
9 Posts
i had a problem going into reverse for a while, then was on a trip down the east coast and i lost 5th totally, it is a known problem i think that the earlier GU boxes had, the problem is the shape of the 5th gear cog is shaped badly causing it to wear badly and in my case shred its self slowly taking out each other gear, i had to have a full gearbox rebuild with the fixed shape 5th and is a totally different drive!! hope this helps and is another angle for you to look at

1 - 11 of 11 Posts