Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Im sure its been asked 1000 times but ill go again.

A mate of a mate up on the north coast is looking to off load a Patrol that has been fitted with the 6.5ltr V8 Chev Diesel. (non turbo). Its low on Ks and im pretty keen on it.

I love my Patrol but also bitch about the lack of power whilst towing my boat so this could be the go.

For those who own one of these beast...

1. How do you like it?
2. Whats it like to tow over 1500kg (esp up hills)?
3. Whats it like on the juice?
4. Repairs, parts..Is it hard to get parts?
5. Would you turbo it?

Any feed back welcome please. Positives, negatives..share it all.

Thanks

Huffy

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
1. How do you like it?
5. Would you turbo it?
I dont own one but have driven a GU fitted with one (3.9 diffs) and have had a bit to do with the marinised 6.5s.

1. Didnt; loud, slow and harsh, but thats me. These 6.5s were never intended to be a power competitor to the diesels offered by ford (6.9IDI and 7.3) or dodge (5.9 cummins) but to be a more economical alternative to the large V8 petrols of the day. They met this criteria but I dont consider them to be powerful by any means. I rather a 25psi 4.2 in all honesty.
2. Would pull it easily off the line, N/A diesels suck at high revs, dont care what they are.
3. Dont know
4. Very easy to get anything from america and very cheap. As long as it one of the post err 94 blocks were GM went to a better grade of iron to fix cracking in the earlier ones then it will last for a while.
5. Not unless I could fit one hell of an oil cooler, intercooler, enlarged the oil capacity (stupid 7ish litres standard) and big radiator with upgraded water pump. And I want it to be the better block before I even considered it.

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
I suggest you take it for a drive and see if YOU like it more than anything else. Your going to get all sorts of differing opinions on this forum. Personally I think they're a waste of money when you can get more hp out of a td42 but buying one with it already done might be worth it if you can get it for a decent price, thats just my opinion though not trying to upset any 6.5 owners.

I haven't owned one, but I have been in one and was very unimpressed.

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Hi guys

Im sure its been asked 1000 times but ill go again.

A mate of a mate up on the north coast is looking to off load a Patrol that has been fitted with the 6.5ltr V8 Chev Diesel. (non turbo). Its low on Ks and im pretty keen on it.

I love my Patrol but also bitch about the lack of power whilst towing my boat so this could be the go.

For those who own one of these beast...

1. How do you like it?
5. Would you turbo it?

Any feed back welcome please. Positives, negatives..share it all.

Thanks

Huffy
Huffy,

I've had my n/a 6.5 since November 2006. Mine was converted by the original owner (I'm the 3rd owner), when the rig was brand new in 2000. He bought a 4.2TD off the showroom floor and drove it 300klm to Brunswick Diesel to have the conversion done. It now has 256,000klm on the clock and is very reliable.

To answer your questions:

1. I do like it....sounds awesome and goes well.
2. I only tow a 1250kg camper trailer; BUT the rig itself is VERY heavy (about 3500kg)....so I guess that's sort of like a standard weight Patrol towing an 1800kg trailer/van. It doesn't like hills, but has been better since I got rid of the restrictive Safari snorkel and cobbled-together a home made 4" snorkel with larger head/ram and a more direct route to the large Donaldson filter.
3. I use about 18L/100klm.......99% of my travels are with the trailer; so I'm about 4700kg most of the time and I have a spare mounted above the roof, so the word "aerodynamics" doesn't enter my vocabulary very often. :rolleyes:
4. If you can get off your arse and order parts from states, they are pretty cheap. But if you use the local suppliers, they can be expensive. I've only had issues with the engine's ancilliaries....EG: starter motor, alternator, vac pump (replaced with an electric unit). The clutch is currently giving me some grief; looks like I'm up for a new one soon. These are all things that you'd expect to start playing up after a quarter million klms.
5. If I could justify the expense I'd probably opt for a supercharger rather than a turbo. There is a good video clip on the net (see attached below) of an 80 series and a GU. Both are fitted with a Chev 6.5. They are parked on the side of a highway, Patrol is in front...it is fitted with a turbo. The 80 series is parked behind the Patrol....it is fitted with a supercharger. The video camera is mounted on the 80s dash. You see the GU take off onto the highway, the 80s takes off after him. The 80s EASILY accelerates past the GU....leaves it for dead. Of course there are a lot of possible factors that may have played a part (tyre size/pressure, overall weight, diff ratio, driver competence....the list is endless)...but to me it looked pretty conclusive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoZZpxYfXE

As it stands, mine drives like a heavy truck.....I often joke that I can win a traffic light drag any day of the week.....with a B-double behind a Kenworth!!!! hahaha:idiot:

Cheers

Roachie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys. Yea i need to take one for a drive. Problem is they bloke is 12 hours up the coast. I have no problems going up there but would like to hear some info first.
I suppose no one in Sydney has one they are willing to show me?

I am mainly after the bigger motor because as i have said, i want something with a bit more grunt to tow my boat. I am sick and tired of the performance of the 3ltr. Im not after a pocket rocket. I just want a car that can tow my boat up a hill without going from 100km/ph to then 1/4 up the hill dropping to 60km/ph and crawling.

I hope im not expecting too much of the 6.5 either.

p.s. nothing tows the boat like an f-250. Just too easy.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
I have one of these, except it is the turbo intercooled jobbie fitted to an 06 GU-ST.
I tow a 3.4t boat and before the current truck I had a 2002 GU-DX 4.2td with increased boost, injection pressure and advanced injection timing to get more exhaust into the turbo at lower revs.
It was dismal on any sort of incline, long minor hills and I was down to 40kph, which was a real pain. Towing through traffic would see me getting dirty looks from all and sundry for holding up traffic as it took so long to get up to speed. The heavy boat also saw the clutch go from new to buggered in short order (up and down boat ramps, backing into my house, which is up hill).
Bought the current truck from Brunswick Diesels and could not be happier. A recent trip that saw some long hills I was down into 4th, but still pulling 100kph. That sure beats 40kph in 2nd that the same hills had me doing with the old truck.
Admittedly, I have installed a water spray to the intercooler and that helps a lot (need to put in a smaller jet as it eats up the water pretty quick).
These beasts are not drag cars, they will not drag off the V8 ute sitting beside you, but it sure keeps up with the general traffic. I am getting 13.8lts/100km around town and 15.7lts/100 dragging the boat on open road (mind you, the roads here in the west are pretty flat). I have never worked out the consumption dragging the boat around town as its only 2kms to the boat ramp.
Have not had anything go wrong with it and the motor is still under warrantee, but before I committed to buying it I looked a parts on the internet, and as Roachie says, buy it locally and pay heaps, order it in from the states and pay peanuts.
So answers;
1. I’m in love
2. Just keeps on pullin
3. Pretty good
4. If required, get from the US, don’t buy local (sorry Mr. Harvey)
5. Definitely
All the best, Kim

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Same figures I get out of my 4.2 towing a 1.8t van on the highway and empty around town. dont know how many times I have wished I had the V8 for the effortless towing ability, but 20K buys a lot of diesel and time usually not really an issue, then theres the V8 Rego, insurance shouldn't be any different. 10 yr old patrol would be vastly overvalued by spending 20K on it.

·
Registered
nissan
51 Posts
Hi Huffy,

I have got a GQ with a 6.2 n/a and I love it. It isn't as powerful as I expected and it is loud and rough. But when I tow I can hardly feel it. It just keeps pulling. You've gotta love the sound of it if you wanna buy one or it will disturb you, my wife hates it. The extra grunt has helped me out more than once offroad too.
It's pretty good on fuel and a reliable engine but you shouldn't have to pay much more than for a 4,2
A youtube search on 6.5 / 6.2 chev should give you an idea if it's what you want..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
How much does he want for it? What model Patrol??

I love the 6.5 in mine. There is no way I would go back to a small turbo diesel by choice. I've owned Patrols with L28, 4.2Turbo, The RD28 in the current GU and now the Chev in the same GU. NEVER would I go back to a small engine. Mines N/A and I really have no intention of turboing it. Because I would lose the duel battery from under the bonnet.

As for power, it's no street racer. Will outrun a standard 4.2TD easily. Will pip a bombed 4.2TD (pipe, pump and boost) As for torque, it has heaps. Hill climbing is good. And whilst towing. A mate of mine has a new Pwado. D4-D Auto. He tows a Kimberly Kamper. I can easily push him up hills towing mine. I weigh 4.4 Tonne fully loaded. Including camper, roof rack, fuel, kids, the kitcken sink. I was also getting 15Lt/100kms.

At Stockton beach, the only patrol to match mine on the dunes was a chiped ZD30 with no weight. On the beach, you'll NEVER use low range. It will rev to 4200 RPM. Around town, 2nd gear start from idle to 3000 rpm, straight to fourth. It makes max. torque at 1700 Rpm. 470 odd NM. Makes good power all the way from idle through to 3000 rpm. It will pull with the traffic from 1000 Rpm. (might be a bit smokey though)

As for normal towing, a ZD30 has nothing on a diesel V8!

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
5 Posts
Hey Huffy

1. How do you like it? Love it.
It's a truck, though. It's not fast, last cab off the rank.I'm 52 now so it's easier to drive slowly, don't worry about the traffic light burners, they can go round me, under my tail or over the top, their choice. I just hang back a few car lengths at the lights and get moving a bit sooner than I would with my smaller family sedan.
Really lazy drive, 100kph around 2000 rpm will sit there all day.
I had test driven the new Patrol 3L "Pilbarra" will all the fruit and it had no grunt, so with extra touring stuff and luggage I wasn't impressed.
Tows good, my camper trailer at around 1200 kg loaded, is only there when I check the rear view mirror! On long steep hills will need to drop to 4th but easily maintains 100 on long climbs.
Around town to work and stuff: 10.5 to 11.5 l/100km.
With the camper around 14.5 to 15.5 l/100km.
About the same as the ST 3L turbo.
Only had it less than a year and its a 2008 model so haven't needed engine parts yet.

5. Would you turbo it?
I see Brunswick are selling more of these now with turbos than they did a year ago.
Might go down there one day and get Greg to give me a drive in one.
No idea how much difference this would make.
Still, for the same cash I first need roofracks, drawers, fridge etc.
Insured with SGIO, no questions asked, as long is licensed for the road they are happy.
I did ask them three times, you do know it's a V8 6.5? Yep no problems.
One claim so far for body damage last year, settled no questions asked.

Also I have no overheating problems with the newer cooling setup.
Have bumped into some guys on the road with older conversions that do overheat: keep this in mind.
Hope this helps.

Go drive it for an hour, in town, up hills etc see what you think.
Not everyone's cup of tea.

ChrisB

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
I agree with Chris B....but gee I wish I could get the sort of economy you and a few others are reportedly getting. I know mine is heavier than most, but I never seem to get anything better than about 17to 18L/100, even when not towing (not often).

I too would love to drive a turbo'd or supercharged version before deciding to go down that path. Mine was done in 2000 and I was initially having some over-warming issues when I bought it in 2006; but a Toyota 3F viscous hub/fan, plus a flush out of the (Brunswick's) radiator as well as increasing the oil capacity to around 10 litres (by fitting a bypass filtration system), have all combined to see her running quite cool most of the time.....rarely goes above about 90oC.

Roachie

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
1. How do you like it? Alot.:D
2. Whats it like to tow over 1500kg (esp up hills)? Too easy i have towed 3 tonne no probs.
3. Whats it like on the juice? 13.5 hwy & 15.5 giving it some around the hills & town4. Repairs, parts..Is it hard to get parts? Not easy here in Aust
5. Would you turbo it? I did.

Mine is only a few moths old so it will get better as it loosens up & its loaded with steel roof rack & tyre up top, draws & fridge, dual batts etc etc
Yes they are expensive but anyone who thinks a 4.2TD is in the ball park "Is Dreamming" i own a 79 Series with 1HDFTE with the normal pipe-chip etc & the Toyota kills the 4.2 Patrol.. Sorry but we have stood up to several... Now the Chevy eats my Cruiser ute.

To get big numbers from a 3 or 4.2 you have to spend $$$$$$ & your pushing its limitations there is no arguement against that fact.... You dont buy the Chevy for power you do buy it for the tourque & buy it because its a lazy mans truck gear shifts are 1 to 3 to 5 or 2 to 4 to 5 & pulls from well under 1000rpm.

You cant do any of that in a smaller cubic inch engine, my turbo comes on at 2,000rpm so under that its the same as a N/A. I like to change gear at 1700 you can at less & over 2grand its an animal but not a sprint car.

Just fitted up a pyro & sitting on 130 in 4th it reads around 420 degrees so no heating issues around town under 200 degrees & the thermo is mounted post turbo.

Loud yes & i love it i especially love giving it a boot full here n there...but its old technology its expensive its out of the normal & F**K if you can afford it WTFN.:D:D:D:D

If you want to be quick buy a sports car.
If you want muscle buy a chevy.
Why ring the neck out of a 4.2TD when a larger engine will do a better job & do it easilly with no stress put on the engine components..... No substitute for cubes......EVER & these are facts not ego talk.
Many will be jealous of you & many will not understand the geometry of the chevy & what it was designed to do & those will be the ones rubbishing it very few owners will rubbish it.
Just like most 3lt owners who wants to rubbish what they drive?

We all have varying opinions thats why this forum is so good for researching & why drive a 6 if you can afford to drive a V8....

·
Registered
247 Posts
one of the best threads i have read on this forum.

Good luck with the purchase i could only dream of getting of getting one.

What else could you want in life? the best 4x4 and a V8 power and sound.....

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
Just another thought as i was chatting over some breskies with some fellow 4wders we came up with the below equation..

Lets say you have 50k to spend.... a very newish 3lt CRD or a redhot secondhand 4.2 assueming you want a patrol... or a mid 2000 Gu with the chevy conversion
Check Brunswick website for what they have on offer.

I chose the chevy due to me already owning a brilliant 4.2TD and for 15 grand i could get a 3ltr blown up with a straight rust free body & convert it for low 40's total by the time i spend 50k it will be totally decked out for serious touring & i have spent 3 weeks working on it over xmas.

Whatever floats your boat but i could have got a 4.2 with 100klms for about 40k now i have a new 6.5 chevy in a 2001 wagon which i wont cry over when i scratch or dint it.. Just my personal choice & we all have different views & ways of justifying how we spend our hard earned cash....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts