Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi there everyone hope your enjoying your weekend. I have just installed a 6" lift in the truck (GQ LWB) and have inherited a vibration in the FRONT end. This only occurs when the hubs are locked in. From 3rd gear and up when i take my foot off the accelerator or when i put the clutch in its like a free spinning grinding noise right under my feet. i have replaced all uni joints notched out cross-member i have even taken the front tails-shaft out and the grinding noise disappears.I have found about 5 posts on here from different people with same problem but there is never any answers so im calling on you all the experts to share your wisdom and knowledge my truck is fitted with the following lift components

6" Dobinson coils
6" Dobinson shocks
Adjustable drag link
Adjustable tie rod
Adjustable panhard rods
Tough dog HD XTC steering stabiliser
superior engineering drop boxes 6"
new gear box mounts
spaced the gear box up

longer arms go in next week

any help would be muchly appreciated its driving me nuts

also before this lift i had a 4" springs with 30mm coil spacers and no drop boxes with no vibrations thought id do the right thing and remove coil spacers with more spring and drop boxes and now i get vibes ???

·
Registered
Nissan
438 Posts
The best way to fix it would be with a double cardan joint in the front tailshaft. The angle on the uni at the transfer case will be too harsh. When you consider the front of the transfer case points slightly upward, then the shaft drops down steep to the diff flange, it's a lot of stress on that uni.

Double cardan joints aren't cheap though

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Hmm, I wouldn't recommend a double cardin, it shouldn't be necessary.

What's this spacing up the gearbox that you mentioned?

I have raised my gearbox 2 inches and run 4 inch springs which actually lifted my truck 5 inches coz my front end is so light.
So I've got the equivalent of 7 inches of lift, as far as driveshaft angles are concerned, and I don't have any vibrations.
Also, many others are running a similar setup to you with no vibrations.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put 10mm spacers under the gear box mounts to see if it would help the angle but didn't change a thing.And Im very glad you have no vibrations its a ****e feeling and frustrating atm i want to burn it on the front lawn

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Ahh, so you spaced the gearbox down not up, we'll that can only help. And that is aswell as the drop boxes? so you've spaced the gearbox down 20mm.

I'd suggest trying another shaft in good nic to see if it's your shaft or not. It could be slack in the slip joint.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i raised it up, I put 10mm plates between the gearbox mounts and the gear box.ill try get another shaft thanks for the advice. i dont think i can space it down due to having drop boxes ?? because the drop box bolts into were the radius arm use to go ?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Yeah right, so you did space it up. You could take them out if you want coz they wouldn't be helping.

You can get crossmember spacers which lower the gearbox and can be used with drop boxes.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Don't drop your gearbox more than 10mm or you'll start chewing engine mounts. You can get a double cardan joint out of a ute but it shouldn't be required.

Does it make any difference if you reverse the shaft?

When you tested with front shaft removed did you lock the hubs?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i locked the front hubs when front tail shaft was removed and there was no grinding.i also tried spinning the front tail shaft also no better either i will try drop the gearbox is there any way to fix engine mounts being chewed out could they be raised or lowered ??

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
You can't lower the engine on its mounts without making new custom mounts.

You should be alright lowering your gearbox crossmember a bit more, you might put a bit more stress on your engine mounts, but hey, the most stress you can put on your engine mounts is a high torque motor and people don't avoid doing that because of sympathy for their engine mounts.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again steel your advice is always appreciated cheers if you ever head up rainbow beach IOU a beer :)

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
thanks again steel your advice is always appreciated cheers if you ever head up rainbow beach IOU a beer :)
No worries at all mate.

Maybe I'll get there again one day, I was there in 2002, but they wouldn't let me on Fraser with me dog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts