Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm about to change the rear diff oil in my patrol (2007 CRD). Reading through previous posts most people are saying to use 85-140 grade. The owners manual says to use 80-90 grade. I also checked the penrite website and it suggests also to use 80-90 grade.
From my understanding (and correct me I'd I am wrong), 85-140 is thicker and more suited for warmer climates. Therefore it should be better to use here in Australia.

So my question is it ok to use 85-140 for my patrol or should I stick with what the owners handbook suggests?

Thanks in advance

NEV

·
Registered
179 Posts
have you already bought the 140?.

If not go get the 90. I used to run 120 which seemed fine, now i run 90 due to elockers. But i would be thinking 140 is getting a little to thick.

Im no oil expert tho lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
140 is for lsd. Is yours lsd or factory rear locker?

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Diffs are expensive. I use a fully synthetic 80w140 LS diff oil in the rear diff. I've had the current fully synthetic mobil SHC ID 80w140 in for about 130k km and it is still clean. Probably should change it. It's been in there long enough that they don't make that oil anymore.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #2
nissan
1,137 Posts
I've got rear elocker and run 85 140, it was recommended to me by hart transmission

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got rear elocker and run 85 140, it was recommended to me by hart transmission

lol thats interesting. I called harrop direct and they told me 90 (but to be fair they are a bunch of morons who wouldnt give a **** once they have our money). Even had any issues with it locking up now and then when cold with the thicker oil?.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Go the full synthetic. It will have a more stable viscosity over a wider range of temps in my relatively uneducated opinion.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #2
nissan
1,137 Posts
lol thats interesting. I called harrop direct and they told me 90 (but to be fair they are a bunch of morons who wouldnt give a **** once they have our money). Even had any issues with it locking up now and then when cold with the thicker oil?.

Sorry for the hijack.
No mate never any issues, I run the same oil in my transfer with 85% gears too

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Diffs are expensive. I use a fully synthetic 80w140 LS diff oil in the rear diff. I've had the current fully synthetic mobil SHC ID 80w140 in for about 130k km and it is still clean. Probably should change it. It's been in there long enough that they don't make that oil anymore.
Changed it today ;)
I was wrong only 100k km and 5.5 years. Came out clean. About 1.5 mm of gunk on the magnetic drain plug which I assume is gunk from the LSD mechanism?

Put Syntrax 80w140 in it.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/F...B054/$File/SYNTRAX 80W-140_467617_2013-12.pdf

Suitable for use where the following apply:
 Dana 5M-31, 5M-48
Nissan 4WD Differentials
 GMH1561, 2010
 Ford ESZ-M2C-190A, ESW M2C-119A, ESW M2C-104A

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
What do you mean? Diffs for Patrols are cheap as chips. Picked up front and rear for $150. I wouldn't be to fussed as long as it still enables your LSD to work correctly. Never had any trouble with the 140 Penrite.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
I use Castrol LSX 85w-140
Info from Castrol......
"Castrol Lsx 85w-140 is a special GL6 mineral based lube primarily formulated for use in differentials of heavier cars, trucks etc.....use in limited slip for smooth performance. The higher level of extreme pressure and lsd additives give added wear protection in BOTH conventional and Limited slip diffs..........."suitable for Nissan 4wd differentials".......

Good enough for me, change every 40,000klm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts