Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

Blues Won as Expected. Go the Knights
Well we need to flex what little muscles ls we possess...
That might be a little hard as Australia has almost Sold its soul to the devil...

China's new muscle flex. .
Twiggy sucky, suck up to the Chinese looks in danger...

Maybe this is a little muscle flex Australia needed to show..
Great news..

Edit:
Hmmm just looked at the date of that article...馃 Hmmmm still good new though.

Registered
China are very quick to hold up coal imports for customs or quarantine adminstration reasons whatever the BS excuse they used. Very quick to impose tarrifs and bans on products that effectively amount to trade sanctions as if we were at war. Very quick to hurt our economy to gently press their political agenda. But we are too guttless to respond.

Like DB said, now is the time to be acting to get our manufacturing and self sufficiency back into gear. So next time there are trade sanctions we can gladly respond with well "stuff you then, if you don't like it, you will need to move out of Australia".

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
A few new coal fired power stations or nuke, would provide work and cheaper power, this would help industry also don鈥檛 pay exorbitant wages to the workers, a fair pay for a fair days work.

Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
I'm not sure now would be the time to enact any such clause even if we could, everything is still in the diplomatic stage, a war of words, as we have seen many times China flex's its muscles every few years, this time we are not alone.
Best time to flex our puny muscles, while we have a few temporary allies.

We should of been showing beijing years ago we weren't happy with the way they were dealing with not only us but our poorer near by island neighbours as well...

Who remembers 3 Chinese warships that docked in Sydney Harbour last year???

The Chinese told us that it was a peaceful stop over on its way back home after a counter drug trafficking operation in the Middle East.
But infact is was a bullying mission by the Chinese in attempts to pressure the Solomons / south pacific islands to cut ties with Taiwan.
They were trying to intimate us as well on that visit
There was no need for them to come into Sydney harbour as there's other ports closer they could of Easily had their little stop over at..
That was just a muscle flex and we happily welcomed them into one of our major ports..

Bit off topic sorry.. Bit of a rant really..

Registered
We should of been showing beijing years ago we weren't happy with the way they were dealing with not only us but our poorer near by island neighbours as well...

Who remembers 3 Chinese warships that docked in Sydney Harbour last year???

The Chinese told us that it was a peaceful stop over on its way back home after a counter drug trafficking operation in the Middle East.
But infact is was a bullying mission by the Chinese in attempts to pressure the Solomons / south pacific islands to cut ties with Taiwan.
They were trying to intimate us as well on that visit
There was no need for them to come into Sydney harbour as there's other ports closer they could of Easily had their little stop over at..
That was just a muscle flex and we happily welcomed them into one of our major ports..

Bit off topic sorry.. Bit of a rant really..
But it is quite pertinent in the context of what else they are up to. They create their own Islands in the South China Sea, then announce that it is their territorial water surrounding these pissy little man made islands. What would the response if we were to ask to bring three Australian Navy ships into a Chinese port. I don't think we would get a warm reception.

Registered
nissan gq
Discussion Starter #28
But it is quite pertinent in the context of what else they are up to. They create their own Islands in the South China Sea, then announce that it is their territorial water surrounding these pissy little man made islands. What would the response if we were to ask to bring three Australian Navy ships into a Chinese port. I don't think we would get a warm reception.
Or lease a harbour with access to a major rail link across the country ?

Cheers,G.

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
That bloke down there, is a friggin drop kick. He won't answer questions about what is happening. :rolleyes:

Foo

Registered
4x4
In a fit of intimidation mode,there is now an apparent 80% tariff imposed on Australian Barley imported by a country which has signed a free trade agreement and has contracts for ongoing purchases. Aaand there is a problem with beef too,something about labelling ? maybe the ink isn't red enough ?
How many of us will impose a 100% no buy wherever possible on products imported from that country ? I have looked around a couple of retailers and the number of items imported,which we are fully capable of producing here is staggering,many obviously due to corporate greed for the cheaper production costs,but old Aussie brands either purchased or plagerised to grab your dollar.
A large percentage of these items are one use only,you only get what you pay for when it comes to tools,and short-life electrical items and who would buy their food,the health regs are sketchy at best,melamine in your dairy/chocolate anyone ? I found a Snickers bar recently labelled made in china,went in the bin !
There is obvious pride in their product when a brand of tyres has made in prc letters about 1MM HIGH,well we don't want to make it too easy--.
C'Mon people get the word out,be a discerning buyer and support our local and friendly producers,I don't respond well to intimidation,how about you ?

Cheers,G.
You are so right!!
Everywhere we go though, everything we buy is made in China or Taiwan etc. we don鈥檛 make **** here anymore it鈥檚 too expensive or to hard to get the businesses off the ground. Too much political red tape and taxes for some type of businesses.
I think the only way round this is for the good old boys in power to pull their fingers out their arses and cut taxes and give grants to allow People to start manufacturing here in Australia rather than relying on all the other countries for the things we require! Look at Trump he鈥檚 doing it for America, even UK is starting to look at the state they were in during this mess, not to mention lots of country鈥檚 in Europe as well.
Australian governments have now got to look toward their own people and see what we can do here before it鈥檚 too late, maybe it鈥檚 already too late! I hope not though!

Registered
nissan gq
Discussion Starter #33
I read today there is an "unofficial " ban on Australian coal,what next ?

Cheers,G.

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
Iron ore too.

Premium Member
TD42 GQ
Where do we start?
Australia has become addicted to easy money and cheap toys from Asia, mainly China.
Like any addiction, it's ultimately bad for our health and difficult to overcome.
Our economy is based on digging up rocks and selling them to China. If China stop buying our rocks, we have some painful withdrawal symptoms to deal with.
But, the longer we allow this addiction to continue, the harder it will be to break away from it.
Going 'cold turkey' will be almost impossible for Australia. A staged withdrawal is preferable, if at all possible.
Other markets, such as India, are perhaps available. However that just swaps one dependence for another.

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
That is exctly what the rest of the 38 page doc does, as I said the post was only a snippet of leading observations, what it did was outline how dependant 5 countries are on China for those that may not have been aware. I'm not posting the entire doc here for a few reasons, one reason being I'm not sure I am supposed to have it.
I'm quite sure this report has been distributed among our polies, it has some big international political contributors.
As I emailed you Ross, the cat is out of the bag lol.

Widely available on the net if anyone wished to have a read.

https://henryjacksonsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Breaking-the-China-Chain.pdf

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn

nissan patrol
lol, always good to worry a little, rather than drop yourself in the crapper unintentionally.

Meanwhile, maybe not up to China's imports, but it is a start to diversifying out of China.

Barley bonanza as India opens doors

Only a few more million tonnes to go...

nissan patrol

Registered
In a fit of intimidation mode,there is now an apparent 80% tariff imposed on Australian Barley imported by a country which has signed a free trade agreement and has contracts for ongoing purchases. Aaand there is a problem with beef too,something about labelling ? maybe the ink isn't red enough ?
How many of us will impose a 100% no buy wherever possible on products imported from that country ? I have looked around a couple of retailers and the number of items imported,which we are fully capable of producing here is staggering,many obviously due to corporate greed for the cheaper production costs,but old Aussie brands either purchased or plagerised to grab your dollar.
A large percentage of these items are one use only,you only get what you pay for when it comes to tools,and short-life electrical items and who would buy their food,the health regs are sketchy at best,melamine in your dairy/chocolate anyone ? I found a Snickers bar recently labelled made in china,went in the bin !
There is obvious pride in their product when a brand of tyres has made in prc letters about 1MM HIGH,well we don't want to make it too easy--.
C'Mon people get the word out,be a discerning buyer and support our local and friendly producers,I don't respond well to intimidation,how about you ?

Cheers,G.
Yes, that is where I'm at as well, Ausie built if possible, if only made in china available I will go without!

21 - 40 of 93 Posts