Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one convince me its worth replacing my 40 for an 80 channel UHF?

Anyone ever use channels 41 - 80 at all?

Unless the truckies move up from 40 i cant see the point in spending the coin

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Me neither, Doubt if truckies willever move off 40.

Wonder if possible to rechip/tune a 40 upto 80, remember seeing a label on a 40ch when 80s started to appear saying to contact supplier to open channels 41-80, was a GME

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might just get another handheld, a 5 watt instead of 2 watt, which'll (lol) be 80 channel.

My in dash unit is a GME.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
The reason hardly anyone uses 41-80 I guess is because most people still have 40 channels.

For that reason when I go fishing up north we use 55 specifically because there is heaps less traffic and less likely to have f-tards talking over the top of you or interrupting.

But if you have a perfectly good 40 channel I can't see any reason to replace it.

The communications authority is re assessing next year whether to make 40 channel units illegal in 2017, but I couldn't see it happening.

Channels 41 up are in between the first forty in frequency, so it goes 1, 41, 2, 42 etc but in 12.5khz increments instead of 25, so newer ones transmit in a narrower band, which is why 40 channel units cause interference in newer 80 channel units.

Supposedly.

I've never had a drama with mine.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem I think is that all the newer 80 channels sounds really quiet on an old 40, so it's hard to hear people taking sometimes. But not really that much of a big deal, especially with a speaker.
Yeah i have noticed that at times, but never correlated the two.
I had a speaker on the A pillar in me ute and cant remember noticing in it, but I have noticed in other vehicles now that you mention.

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Yeah i have noticed that at times, but never correlated the two.

I had a speaker on the A pillar in me ute and cant remember noticing in it, but I have noticed in other vehicles now that you mention.

Yeah something to do with the new frequencies being halfway in between the old ones or something. Some radios amplify it back up.

We used to have Motorola radios at work, they were really good, soooooo ****in loud.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
The communications authority is re assessing next year whether to make 40 channel units illegal in 2017, but I couldn't see it happening.
I thought 40ch radios were already illegal? I changed over to 80ch last year when I read about it...not sure where I saw it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers you 2, maybe I will get a new dash unit then.

No problems the other way? ie, people with 80 channel units having problems hearing those on 40 channel?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Can hear 40 channel alright, just they can't hear me all that well.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
This is the new rules surrounding wireless audio but do they apply to us?

Wireless audio transmitters must not be operated in the frequency range 694-820 MHz after 31 December 2014.
After 31 December 2014, wireless audio systems in the UHF band must operate between 520 MHz and 694 MHz.
Digitally modulated wireless audio transmitters are now allowed.

I know this applies to the radio mics that we use in industry but these band allocations also seem to fit in with UHF CB band width usage. So are out CB's excluded from running only in the 520Mhz to 694Mhz? Or is the allocation for wireless/radio mics like it is to stay away from CB's band width?
Channel 1 = 476.4250
Channel 80 = 477.4125

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
Get an ICOM radio then it can be reprogrammed for 80 if/when they make 40 channel units illegal...

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Plenty of the older GME units can also be reprogrammed to suit 80 channel.

If yours is GME Steely ring WACB centre and ask, they will do it for you if your model suits.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Righto cheers, but will reprograming eliminate the volume issues?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,526 Posts
well i guess that's why in a club convoy they have trouble hearing me. i have 80 and they all still have 40. this post has been very helpful and informative.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I have an icom 400 pro which was a 40ch. I still have 40ch programmed on the standard factory bank, but I've also programmed the new 80ch on a private bank through my laptop. It was so simply and DIY. I also have the ability now on the 80ch to select my transmission power from 1w, 5w or 25w with a simple button on the front of the unit.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Righto cheers, but will reprograming eliminate the volume issues?
I believe so. I understand they've had the capability for quite some time but couldn't do it until the law said so.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
I have an icom 400 pro which was a 40ch. I still have 40ch programmed on the standard factory bank, but I've also programmed the new 80ch on a private bank through my laptop. It was so simply and DIY. I also have the ability now on the 80ch to select my transmission power from 1w, 5w or 25w with a simple button on the front of the unit.
Brilliant! I knew you could use 25w on those but didn't know you could swap it at will for if you really needed it... Does it tell you on the screen so there's no misunderstanding of what power level you're transmitting at?

Hmm might have to buy one and post it to Sooty with a bottle of scotch :)

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Brilliant! I knew you could use 25w on those but didn't know you could swap it at will for if you really needed it... Does it tell you on the screen so there's no misunderstanding of what power level you're transmitting at?

Hmm might have to buy one and post it to Sooty with a bottle of scotch :)
From memory when your on the private channel bank there is no visual indication when you are at 25w which is the default however if on 1w or 5w it has a Lo 1 or Lo 2 indicator. So you do know what your transmitting at.

On mine the factory bank is locked at 5w and limited to only storing 40ch's, no doubt the new 80ch versions will be locked at 80slots. With the private channels I can also add access to all the 80 ch frequencies including the data and other ch's which are usually skipped or blocked on factory units (not that you really need them).

Once you have the programme and a cheap cable off eBay it really isn't too hard to do. You can even save and email/download preprogrammed channel banks.

I have no idea about selcal stuff, as I have never used it, but you can even program in set unit numbers and have an address book setup for specific call functions, goes over my head with all that stuff though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts