Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Safari a couple months ago when I moved to Okinawa... this site has been great! I have already learned so much from you all...

Don't hold it against me but I am a GI from the US... but I have lived overseas for the majority of my adult life... and I love it.

So my rig is a 89 safari Granroad, PTO, 24v, 4.2D, 5-speed, LSD, Rear stab disco in the cab, 147,000 km on the clock. and it is in pretty good shape.

I have some springs for it... but I am waiting on my Old Man Emu shocks to ship over (ordered them from the US)

It has some 33x10.50x15's BFG KM2's and it doesn't rub at all, but I still think the lift will help.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
That's a very nice shorty there. Welcome to Patrol4x4 James.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thats a very tidy unit :driving:. We won't hold it against you because you are an American... ;)

If I had that Patrol on Okinawa I would be exploring all the old WW2 sites. I'm a military history tragic!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hi ya, on a good hole the rear tyres on mine still rub inside the rear guard, tracks overhere aren't smooth,flex ramp photos with 3'' lift

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Nice Rig James, wish they were still in that good a nick by the time we get them here in OZ looks like you got basically ALL the good bits on it too. That in-cab stab disco is worth it's weight in Gold. I've never seen 4x4 pics from Japan so you'll have to post some shots of your first run.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
I picked up my Safari a couple months ago when I moved to Okinawa... this site has been great! I have already learned so much from you all...

Don't hold it against me but I am a GI from the US... but I have lived overseas for the majority of my adult life... and I love it.

So my rig is a 89 safari Granroad, PTO, 24v, 4.2D, 5-speed, LSD, Rear stab disco in the cab, 147,000 km on the clock. and it is in pretty good shape.

I have some springs for it... but I am waiting on my Old Man Emu shocks to ship over (ordered them from the US)

It has some 33x10.50x15's BFG KM2's and it doesn't rub at all, but I still think the lift will help.

Just for your info....

You can bring that Patrol home with you from Japan. Being it is an 89 it is legal to import to the USA in 2014. Granted that is a few years off but once your truck turns 25yrs old it is as easy to import as a bag of coffee!

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
Mine articulates heaps more then that coxsy, but then I have no sway bars whatso ever. I have also spaced the front axle forward. Mine rub on the inside rear guard as well, but not worried about it all that much.
Al

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Mine articulates heaps more then that coxsy, but then I have no sway bars whatso ever. I have also spaced the front axle forward. Mine rub on the inside rear guard as well, but not worried about it all that much.
Al
Do you drive it on the road often? what is it like minus sway bars, mine are at the limit just before binding, was considering removing them if it isn't too much like a 14 foot tinnie in 2m swell. maybe worth just disconnecting them manually before big trips?

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lift installed

here is an update... scored a free roof rack and got some OME shocks and steering stab installed with some 5 cm lift springs (it sure feels like more than 5 cm)

the lift went on without a single issue (more than I can say for the lift install on my 2004 Jeep)

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for your info....

You can bring that Patrol home with you from Japan. Being it is an 89 it is legal to import to the USA in 2014. Granted that is a few years off but once your truck turns 25yrs old it is as easy to import as a bag of coffee!
Thanks... I'll be here until 2015, but I prob won't go back to the US...

I'd like to go back to Tokyo, but I can't take a Diesel there... maybe I could just ship it back and store it till I retire... It would be a blast to have in the US...

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
or bring it back here and somebody like me will for sure buy it!

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
Do you drive it on the road often? what is it like minus sway bars, mine are at the limit just before binding, was considering removing them if it isn't too much like a 14 foot tinnie in 2m swell. maybe worth just disconnecting them manually before big trips?
Sure do. No problems what so ever. Does not under or over steer. can't fit them back on as I have used the sway bar mounts on the axles to strengthen my rear spring seat as they started cracking.
I thought you couldn't remove sway bars as part of the law in Oz, hence why I wasn't bringing my truck over with me when I come home in january.
Al

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Sure do. No problems what so ever. Does not under or over steer. can't fit them back on as I have used the sway bar mounts on the axles to strengthen my rear spring seat as they started cracking.
I thought you couldn't remove sway bars as part of the law in Oz, hence why I wasn't bringing my truck over with me when I come home in january.
Al
Aaah good to hear, yes it is illegal here but to be honest i'm not that worried. i'll probably leave it on but just manually un-bolt them for weekends away. unfortunately 90% of the good stuff is illegal in queensland. Depending on who you talk to... anything above 2" springs, 50mm over original rolling diameter tyres, body lifts, certain bar work. it's all illegal. Part of the game we play with the boys in blue. I'm not sour grapes when i get called on it coz it's a risk we take. i'm just of the opinion if it is a safely performed mod i'll risk the legalities.

Coming home? you originally an aussie? where you moving to?

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Since last post... I've fitted a new clutch, got her through the very tough Japanese inspection process and finally went out for a trail ride.

The mud here is slick and it is deep... next trip will be after a dry spell. We had fun, I jammed up my winch cable, so I'll have to work on that, but other than some minor bumps and bruises it was uneventful, the LSD isn't as tight as I thought it would be and the open front is worthless with the auto hubs.

I ordered some AVM Hubs and am on the hunt for some lockers!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you'll need to free the winch out of its cradle remove the hub on the end then the next section is free to get the cable out, been there done that,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts