Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a '91 safari with the auto tranny and the darn thing started acting up on me last night. When I first started driving it everything was fine, then less than 10 minutes into the drive the D gear starts slipping; no 1st gear or reverse either. I decided to park the car and shut the engine for a few minutes then start the truck again. Same thing happened again. it runs in all gears for about 5 to 10 minutes, then the gear slipping began again. it took me almost 2 hours to get to south Vancouver from North Vancouver. I changed the ATF and filters less than 2 months ago and checked the fluid levels and colour, smell etc and it all seems fine.

I read on another thread in here somebody had a similar problem although not sure if it is exactly the same issue.

I'm going to try disconnecting the batteries and leave it for a day and see what happens but I'd appreciate any feedback and fearing the worst, where to get the tranny fixed and buy parts etc.

Luis.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Thank you, Paul.

We might have to give you a call... If you could PM how much would you like for it, that would be great...
I will have to get ahold of clutch, flywheel, etc... Any idea where to get all the hardware...

Take care,

Juan

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,799 Posts
Ok, just checking as it's not unheard of to hear fellows check it wrong. Now I am no auto guru but you may benefit from a visit to the tranny shop. I know of an auto rebuilt on the Island for about 3k (maybe 4K, I can ask if you want) and another in the Prairies that has the torque converter replaced after clunk and nothing.

he reason I asked about the tranny fluid, Dexron 2 is known to eat the clutch material. About a year later the clutch material disintegrates.

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll connect back the batteries later today when I get home and if the problem persists I'll call a few places. I'll see then if rebuilding the auto tranny is the way to go or swap to a 5 speed.

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Paul,

I'm not sure if you Pm my brother about the 5 speed gearbox that you have. When you get a moment, could you PM me and tell me how much would you want for it? I want to see what makes more $$ sense, if rebuilt the auto or insert a 5 speed.

Thanks.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Thanks for the post. So far no luck with the shops. I'm waiting a call back from Ateb in Burnaby; Southside Nissan wouldn't give me the time of day....
You may consider an Australian Wholesale Automatics Transmission if it is going to be a full rebuild. I highly recommend John at Radd Cruisers on the Island: Customization and Restoration Professionals - Services For Restoring 4x4s - RADD Cruisers, Duncan BC. Phone is much better than email. Outback is also a distributor for them but they won't put it in for you.

But before, you do anything, I suggest that you drain the fluid and check to see if it is contaminated with metal bits or paper bits. If it is clean, your problem may be electrical and not mechanical/hydraulic. The auto is a computer controlled unit. All it takes is a bad connection to put it into limp mode.

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi John, thanks. I'll give them a call. My main problem seems to be to find a shop to take a look at it. I live in a condo so I'm not allowed to do any mechanical work there. I go to my brother's place for oil changes and all that but I don't think I can make it there with the truck the way it is, in particular because I need to use the highway and getting stuck on it is not a good idea. I'll see if RADD Cruisers has a rebuilt tranny and maybe ship it to a shop in Vancouver.

Luis.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.