Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, have had this car for 6 months now, bought sight unseen off Gumtree after I wrote my hilux off and needed a 4wd urgently. I have spent those 6 months lurking these forums without posting, gaining a wealth of information. Figured its a good time to share what I have. Its a 1992 Leaf Spring GQ with a brand new chevy v8 in it (now got 10,000ks)
Current Mods include
  • Lift kit (not sure exactly how much) Tough Dog shocks and extended shackles
  • Long range tank
  • Bullbar and winch
  • 33 Inch Baja Atz
  • Compressor
  • Redarc Dual battery setup
  • 2x Light bar and spotties (took these off)
  • Water tank and 'Shower'
When I bought the car ill be honest I didn't know too much about patrols/4wd's at all. The past 6 months have been a massive learning curve. In retrospect I would of shopped around for a coil cab or at least coil front, but hey I'm still in love with it. Its old, packed with character, clunky (in a good way) and loud as all hell and gives me a massive smile when I drive around.

End plan for the car is a tough tourer setup, me and my partner do a lot of camping and adventuring. (just relocated Broome - Cairns and camped the whole way). Eventually have a full canopy and new tray setup with a re designed 12v system. Interior and Cab/Rust is the first task at hand though. I have a ridiculously long list of mods I am planning on doing, this thread will be a tool for me to help keep track of everything I am doing and to ask for advice, help along the way. My dream would be to swap engine and cab onto a coil chassis but at the moment its too big of a task for me to try tackle by myself. Im working on getting interior and rust sorted first.

I plan to use this build as a learning curve for myself as I have always wanted a long term 'tinkering' project. And if there are any like minded individuals around Cairns, hit me up! I've just moved with my missus, we don't know anyone and would be pretty keen on some adventures. (Corona virus pending of course)

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great place is Cairns. I once lived in Cooktown. We have a few members who reside in FNQ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Rgren2, happy with the move so far. Can only go for a forby within 50km of my home because of Covid -19 but im still managing to find a few cool places.

After moving from Broome, I decided to give the car a pretty thorough clean and started brushing some dirt/grime build up under the edges of the flooring. This lead me to a lovely discovery under the floor.

Rust! the whole floor panel had pretty much rusted out and there were multiple golfball size holes in the panels. I grinded back as much as I could and found someone off facebook to come weld a plate up for it.

Wasn't overly happy with the final welding product as a lot of the tacks from the welds were just blasting through the panel. Only cost me $150 though and it was just some guy from facebook so I can't expect perfection. Its tenfold better than what it was so I can't complain too much.

Final product after paint. Next is sound proofing, dynamat is just to pricey for me so I went with the stuff from JayCar Electronics, worked well enough for what I need and if I can afford dynamat down the Road it won't be hard to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got itchy feet, so I threw the seats while waiting for the new vinyl floor to arrive and went for an explore

Not tooooo bad for a leafy I reckon;)

I have also managed to tear off the plug on my winch control box, drove around to a few stores yesterday and couldn't find anything to replace. My plan was to get something from a caravan and hopefully wire it in.
Any ideas on where I could find a 6 prong round plug like that? Most Caravan stores were 7 or 12
Pics Below:

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
633 Posts
Not sure where you are, but if you can get to a Jaycar or altronics they will have something like that. Even somewhere similar to them maybe...

Ute looks good though, pity about the rust but at least that's sorted. My old man has still got a gq with a 6.2 Brunswick in it. Doesn't use in anymore though, the motor is getting pretty tired anyway.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
The Bloomfield track to Cooktown is a very easy drive now, stop at the Lions Den for a feed. The Creb is still a challenge and shouldn’t be tackled on your own, you’ll more than likely need your winch for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts