Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok yes im female so may get details a lil wrong. we have got oil inside the turbo including the piping running over the top of the engine. the fan inside the turbo has minimal movement. plenty of power still. will it need replacing or just a rebuild? and how do I track a rebuild kit down? iv searched the internet but cant seem to find the correct info. it says schwitzer on it. it also runs on lpg as well as diesel.
Im located in central queensland.
Please help

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
need a few more details in relation to how many kays motor has done.....

but oil in the turbo and crossover pipe if not large amounts could be from the pvc valve on top of your engine....this can be stopped by installing a catch can

if making good power and no blue smoke out the back you find that turbo will be fine.

get it tuned and checked out at a reputable workshop before committing to work that may not be required.

·
Registered
Nissan
62 Posts
Oil in the inlet piping is pretty normal. So long as the blades don't grab on the housing in the turbo when turned by hand and lightly pushed to the housing your fine.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,149 Posts
They guys above have it right most likely.

If the impellor (the fan you call it) spins smoothly, limited movement, and does not have minimal damage, then likely it is ok.

Try and trace the oil. The rocker cover has a breather hose on it, which will run back into the intake piping before the turbo. Check to see if this is the source of the oil. If it is, then that is common. Many of us have fitted a catch can such as a Provent to collect the oil.

If the oil is leaking past the turbo seal then it will need repair by a professional. Given your turbo is generally considered to be less desirable than some others such as Garrett or Mitsubishi, then you should consider the cost of getting a new turbo. In my case my old turbo needed about $700 in repairs, and I bought a new Garrett for $1200. If it is only a few hundred bucks then a repair may be your better option if you are happy with the current performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts