Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post! So let me give you a preview into my 95 pathfinder and the plans for this beast in the near future

Had this truck for 2 years now, done a bit of everything to it, auto to standard tranny swap to name one. After this summer I plan to completely remove the drive train and throw in a 4bt, with Dana 44 upfront and 60 in the rear, add a 6" lift, 1-2" body for tire clearance. But that's in a couple months...

Now my issue is 4wd doesn't engage.. I figured the hubs are just seized.. So I took them apart. I do have photos, can't figure how to upload them yet.. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I cleans them up greased them and threw them back on.. Still no 4wd

Would there be an outside issue that I could investigate? Front driveshaft locks when engaged but wheels move freely (drove around the block acouple times and still doesnt) make a note I am doing a sas in 4 months but I am planning to go wheeling every weekend I can until then. I have looked into manual hubs and they are about 250$ I can probably get a discount down to 150-200$

Now I don't want to replace auto hubs with manual then figure out its something else, is there a way I can test this? I have an idea of taking the hubs off until you seethe axle and see if that spins with the front driveshaft. Would that work?

But the main question, is it worth it? (4 months with this ifs then I'm torching it out) Thanks guys, I hope to hear back from someone soon!

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hey there cvd-lok, welcome to the Patrol4x4 forum.

Although this is mostly a Patrol forum you will find there are a few members myself included, that have or have had Pathfinders as well.

To test your front hubs are locking in, you could lift one front wheel the vehicle off the ground and rotate it by hand to feel if the hub clicks in to lock then you should feel some more effort as it starts rotating the diff and then the other side hub locks.

The auto hubs on my 1992 Pathy were worse at locking and then coming unlocked again after they had just been regreased. Don't pack too much grease in or the lock mechanism does not work properly.

I could usually feel if the hubs were working, with both wheels on the ground I would get under and rotate the front drive shaft by hand, turning the diff then feel it lock the hubs and I could not rotate the shaft any further (as wheels are solid on the ground).

Pity you are not in West Australia as I have a set of manual locking hubs you could try.

If you are after more help closer to home, have a look at the NPORA forum.

http://nissanpathfinders.net/

Good luck with the build-up and the solid axle swap, I always wanted to do that to my Pathfinder but the laws over here to get it engineering approved were not worth the cost.

You might even be able to pick up some cheap manual hubs:
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35617-manual-locking-hubs-temp-gun-and-few-other-parts/

Cheers
Geordie

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks! Well I did my research and went to a couple stores and I found a set for 120! Less than half of the cost I was quoted, but that was warn hubs. It's the name..

I have done all those test, my next one is to take off the hubs and expose the axle, while I rotate the drive shafts ill have someone look and see if the axles rotate, if so I'm ordering manual hubs, if not, I'm counting the days until I torch this ifs out!

I figured this wasn't a pathfinder forum but it doesn't hurt to ask around. I will try that other site out aswell. But I'll make sure ill post a link to my project when it finally starts in October. I'm sure a few guys will be stoked to see how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts