Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inlaws are looking at buying a Jackaroo around 98-2001,probably V6 auto but haven't looked at any yet

I know a bit about Toyota's and Nissans but not a lot about these things

Any info,experiences or what to look out for would be appreciated

They have 8-10k to spend and need 7 seats and 4wd and the Jackaroo's seem to fit in to this bracket

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
3.5 V6s were quite powerful in thier day with around 160kw from memory and a fair bit of torque.. In case you didnt know the only thing holden on them is the badge, they were fully built by Isuzu and sold overseas with names like Trooper or Bighorn.

The only donk to watch was the 3.0L HEUI (Hydro Electric Unit Injection) diesel from about 98 to 00, it used the engine oil pressure to fire the injectors and would do all types of wierd **** when it didnt get the correct grade. There also was a recall to some degree on the injector seals which could fail and fill the sump with diesel. It was the first of the High Output smaller engines making some 114ish kw and about 350Nm.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I heard that the diesel engines with unit injection had some issues so i warned them about this

There is a 1999 V6 for sale with lpg fitted they have seen advertised

Does anyone know how these engines take to gas

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Not personally, but they are the same donks (99 I think is a 3.2 V6) as the Rodeo, so Id have a search on the net to see how they go with LPG.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Don, I know two people who have v6 autos, and they have both been reliable vehicles. One has over 200k on it, and virtually no problems.

BUT, make sure the outlaws have deep pockets, 'cause these things like a drink. Mate jokes it's the only vehicle he has ever owned that you can watch the fuel gauge moving south. Cheers

·
I don't have anger management issues - I have moro
nissan
407 Posts
I owned a 99 3l diesel from six months old to August this year. Ground clearance is a problem with the Transfer case cover being pretty low but after I raised it 2 inches and put 265 Cooper STs on it I never had a problem with it and I went out with Patrols and Cruisers.
Every 10000kms I serviced it with magnatec and I never had a problem. That was until it started blowing smoke so we quickly traded it in and now it is Ford's problem.
We towed a camper trailer to Fraser Is, Moreton Is, North QLD, through NSW as well as many dirty, dusty, muddy day trips and if they weren't grenades I would recommend them to anyone.
The petrol is powerful but sucks juice like a v8 and I know a few petrol owners that got rid of theirs because of this.
Parts are also hard to get.
As much as I hate to admit it I reckon you should look elsewhere like an old Patrol or Cruiser.
Good luck

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Not personally, but they are the same donks (99 I think is a 3.2 V6) as the Rodeo, so Id have a search on the net to see how they go with LPG.
Pretty much the same donks. The Rodeo was a quad cam 3.2 and the Jacks from 97-98 on were a quad cam 3.5. The earlier Jacks were a 3.2 twin cam. The RA Rodeo's got the 3.5 quad cam too.
There is a 1999 V6 for sale with lpg fitted they have seen advertised

Does anyone know how these engines take to gas

Regards Don
I had a 99 V6 Rodeo on dual fuel and it went well on LPG but it had a good system. Didn't burn any valves but I bent one from accidently hitting the rev limiter at 6500rpm when I lost traction up a mossy granite boulder one day. Anyway thats irrelevant.:)

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
My brother in law has had a 98 3.5 V6 for years and he drives it hard and has abused it (little maintenance, floggs it offroad). He has well over 250k on it and just did the heads and alternator because he went mud bashing, which killed the alternator and blocked the radiator and then he cooked it.

It had plenty of get up and go, I didn't think it was any thirstier than other V6 4wd's.... Maybe I'm wrong here, it's got oodles of space for a mid size 4wd and is a very well appointed interior and is nice to drive.

Parts can be expensive, depending on what you are after, but that's the trade off you get for getting such a good 4wd for less $$$.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Jackaroos are very under rated. The petrols are thirsty, but so are any petrol 4wd's. If not servicing them yourself, just make a couple of quick calls to find out how much servicing costs are. Eg, in the diesel it's over 3K for 100,000. I was about to buy a Jackaroo with the 2.8 turbo diesel before my GQ came up. That particular engine (also in the Rodeo) is about as bullet proof as the TD42 (I hope benno's gonhorrea and hep C clears up soon ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
My sister has a 93 V6 petrol, manual trans, bought new, with 445,000 Km on the original untouched engine. It sounds a bit loose and clanky when idling and she treats it easy, but it still goes OK.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
It had plenty of get up and go, I didn't think it was any thirstier than other V6 4wd's.... Maybe I'm wrong here, it's got oodles of space for a mid size 4wd and is a very well appointed interior and is nice to drive.

Parts can be expensive, depending on what you are after, but that's the trade off you get for getting such a good 4wd for less $$$.
They sure go alright. I came second in one of the Loveday Challenge mud drags (Only cos I was going sideways on the return run and couldn't see a thing in front for the mud so I backed off the throttle :p) of the modified section in my Rodeo up against a very sooped up RB30 SWB comp rig Patrol in the final. Had only just replaced the bent valve the day before the comp.
They'll take a bit of thrashing thats for sure.

On fuel, I averaged 725km on 112lts petrol and about 325kms to 50lts of lpg.
Some parts for them aren't that expensive actually. For a new valve $33, 12 bucket shims for the lifters, a head gasket, exh gasket, timing belt, thermostat, other gaskets etc, and consumables all up was about $300. All genuine Isuzu from Holdens too!
Labour $0 as I did it all myself but would have been a few hundred if a mech did the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts