Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan 2.8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i have just purchased a 99 2.8 gu patrol with 250k and so far have had a few dramas, Its the first patrol i have owned and after about 250km after pick up it blew the top tank on the radiator!! I got a 2nd hand 4.2 top tank put on it as i needed to get home and its all he had at the time. Anyway i have been losing fluid through the overflow tank and had it pressure tested, they found a hose leeking and told me that will be it for sure so they fixed that and rekitted my clutch fan while they were there, Since having all this done i have noticed it still throws water out at higher speeds but it still has plenty of fluid in the tank above the overflow so i guess it is just levelling itself out from having to much fluid in the overflow from when they filled it? Also a question i have is the clutch fan suppose to be on for 90% of the time cause i hear it all the time even when its still warming up? Any info you guys have is appreciated and i hope she starts behaving now

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Hi Nato,
The 4.2 has a different top tank. there is return pipe from the top tank to the overflow bottle for the 2.8. The 4.2 does not have this pipe. I have snapped this pipe before and i blocked it for a day or two and my overflow bottle spat the water out everytime I stopped.
I would check this before spending anymore money.
Cheers
Troy

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
Hey all i have just purchased a 99 2.8 gu patrol with 250k and so far have had a few dramas, Its the first patrol i have owned and after about 250km after pick up it blew the top tank on the radiator!! I got a 2nd hand 4.2 top tank put on it as i needed to get home and its all he had at the time. Anyway i have been losing fluid through the overflow tank and had it pressure tested, they found a hose leeking and told me that will be it for sure so they fixed that and rekitted my clutch fan while they were there, Since having all this done i have noticed it still throws water out at higher speeds but it still has plenty of fluid in the tank above the overflow so i guess it is just levelling itself out from having to much fluid in the overflow from when they filled it? Also a question i have is the clutch fan suppose to be on for 90% of the time cause i hear it all the time even when its still warming up? Any info you guys have is appreciated and i hope she starts behaving now
only time my clutch fan is on on 90% when its 30+ deg outside temp and naturally i put my aircon on aswell, hope this little bit info helps

·
Registered
Nissan 2.8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and that pic woulds be helpful though it only throws water out when im driving at higher speeds not when stopped, worth a look for sure.

·
Registered
Nissan 2.8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:oops:Im pretty sure i have the hose your talking about it goes from the top tank cap to the overflow? about halfway down the overflow tank? I may have worded it wrong, I blew the tank on top of the radiator core.

·
Registered
Nissan 2.8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but now im a bit confused,(Not that its hard to confuse me!) A pic would be great.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Do you have a hose running from the upper overflow tank to the top tank of the radiator?

Do you also have a hose running from halfway down the drivers side of the engine, across along the bottom of the radiator to the bottom of the upper coolant bottle?

Is the radiator cap marked 0.9 on the radiator or on the upper coolant bottle?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
are those radiator caps on the right way ie: pressure relief cap to the expansion tank and the blank cap on the radiator?

·
Registered
757 Posts
90% of the time seem to be a little often for the clutch fan to be operating. when the engine is cold is the fan difficult to turn? Maybe they have put to much gel into your clutch fan.

Has your water level settled down?

·
Registered
Nissan 2.8
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Water seems to be ok i am going to take some water out of the overflow to see what that does to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts