Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been around on here long enough and it is time to show some of the mods and antics we get up to. Also soon to replace the smokey 2.8 with a Holden 5Ltr Petrol, so thought a members page would allow me to document the process.

We'll start with a pic of the old girl taken some time ago..

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some extras added

Some of the mods and extras that the girl has had the pleasure of receiving over the years (in no particular order and the above photo does not show or have all these on it at the time):
  • Snorkel
  • IPX Driving Lights
  • Dark Tinted Windows
  • Roof Rack
  • Foxwing awning
  • Shower system
  • dual battery
  • rear drawers
  • 3" lift
  • Air Bags in rear
  • Pillar Gauges: Boost, Water Temp, Oil pressure, EGT
  • Christmas Tree Lights
  • Gas Over Diesel
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Roof Top tent (part time addition)
  • LED Lighting in rear
  • Rear Work/camp light (LED)
  • Roof Console
  • UHF
  • DVD/TV/GPS/Bluetooth System
  • Electric brakes (for Camper Trailer)

That should do it for now...

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a bit dusty, but here is a photo when camping on the snowy River Christmas 2010.
Shows the Alloys and the foxwing in operation. Just need to get those 33" tyres to fill that Gap and give it a bit more clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went down to the mechanics today and discussed the pending transplant. All sorted and Sussed. Taking the donor car down tomorrow and going to pull the V8, stick it on an engine stand and give it a once over. Then the patrol follows.

Should take about two to three weeks once we get into it, not because it is a big job, most will be done after hours...

The excitement level is climbing......

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Donor V8 is out!

Started work on the Donor car today. Removed the Donor V8... Took 2 hours to get the engine out and on the stand. That included removing the Automatic transmission that as attached to it.

See attached Pics..

Next on the list; pull the V8 Apart (a little) to clean up and ensure all gaskets are good. Maybe change the CAM to a mild one as well. Will also put an larger throttle body on it...

Tally so far: 2Hrs labour.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initial Costs

Here is a breakdown of costs so far;

Donor Commodore (Complete): $1600 (VN Auto 5Ltr V8 Calais)
New Gearbox and Transfer case $950 (2.8 gearbox is not strong enough)
Marks Adapters Kit $2000 (Bell housing adapter, clutch Kit, wiring Harness, speed sensor)
HQ Sump: $140
Engine Mounts: $250
Flywheel: Free

Total: $4940

Thats it so far. Should only be some labour left.. I will be doing some myself so that should help keep the labour costs down.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Its not that the 2.8 box is not strong enough.

It cant be adapted to any other motor easily as it and the bellhousing are a single cast.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Will be watching this thread.
Especially on the economy side of things and total costs. Possibly any extra costs not accounted for too.

Good work so far.

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quick look at the victorian Vehicle Standards Information (Sheet 8 - Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles) in relation to Engine Modifiations states;

Replacement Engines
Where it is intended to fit an engine which is significantly different from that offered by the manufacturer as original or as an option (e.g. four to six cylinder or six to eight cylinder), then an Approval Certificate is required as evidence that the vehicle in its modified form is safe and meets all the applicable construction and emission regulations for that model. It is recommended that a VASS signatory is consulted before commencement of this type of modification.
I have also spoken to several Engineers and the opinion varies greatly.

Some say, no I cannot do this mod with this Engine/vehicle.
Others say, yes, but I must put it on Gas.
And others say, sure, go ahead and bring it in when done for a certificate.

No prizes for guessing who is getting my work :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
Get ready to watch your fuel consumption to go through the roof :) My mate did this to his GQ and the fuel consumption is ridiculous. At least for his anyways.

And after driving a V8 landrover around for a few months while my car was getting rebuilt, I don't think I could drive a V8 4wd anymore. I nearly cried every time I had to fill up, knowing I will be refilling shortly.

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not my daily driver, so I quite willing to accept this for the days I go out and the trips I make.

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added to cost Tally:

Set of Andrews Adapters Engine Mounts. I was going to use some a mate made up, but the engineer advised to use approved ones to ensure the engineering Cert had no issues.

Previous Total: $4940

Engine Mounts $325

New Total: $5265

·
Creepy Lurker
nissan
542 Posts
Single 3 inch if you cam it would be perfect! 2.5 inch single for a dead stocker would be minimum I'd assume. Looks like it's gonna be fun mate when finished.

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounding good. What exhaust will you be running?
The Calais came with a set of almost new and good quality Extractors, so i will be using them from the engine down, then I have the decision to make of joining and running a single pipe out back, or running a dual. At this stage and for costs I think I will join it and fit it into the existing 2.5" exhaust I had for the diesel. The Calais had a 2.5", the Extractors fit a 2.5", so to save costs up front I will stick with that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts