Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever have a day when you look at or drive your Patrol and think about when she was new (well at least new to you)? Then you start toying with the idea that maybe its time to trade the old girl in, even though, you know you have finally paid it off and its 100% yours? All those K's, all those memories, but in the back of your mind there is this nagging voice that keeps knocking the old girl?

Things like, the paint is faded, dented and scratched, barwork doesn't quite line up dead straight anymore, a couple of electrical gremlins that you just can't iron out, door seals that just dont do their required job anymore, tinted windows are scratched, LOL windows (outside glass) is scratched, knocking bushes (again), clunks in the suspension, power steering growls ...... you know those "little" problems that puts you on the verge of making a decision that will inevitably end in you and the old girl parting ways.

My trol, 02 4.2 TD, 85000k's, mod list to extensive to contemplate regurgitating.

Am I crazy for thinking such thoughts? Should I be directed to Aisle 8 bottom shelf at bunnings for a bag of HTFU?

Dunno just thought Ide throw a thought out there for the hardened Troll owners .......

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Blokes don't have feelings...nothing to see here move along.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
GU Tourer. I hear where you're coming from matey. Unfortunately my last 4x4 left me on sad but unexpected circumstances. I spent thousands on mods on my 98 Prado, suspension, stereo, tires and rims, you name it. A few weeks before I was due to fit a snorkel, I went 4WDing for the long weekend up at LCMP. I had been playing in the mud pit both that weekend and previous times without any issues, yet I went through a shallow creek on Hawkins Road (I think that's it) and as I came out, the engine seized from water getting in through the air intake (stupidly enough, its located in the wheel arch D/S). Since then I bought a 97 GQ Patrol RD28 and have spent a mint so far bringing up to standard due to neglect by the previous owners. Now It's getting to the point where some things are going wrong in a vehicle for its age 281,000 ks, I ask myself the same question you ask yourself.

What to do?

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
GT

Your truck aint that old....you have already made the list of things that are ****ing you off. There is your todo list for the next year hop to it and you be in love again in no time. Or be the first and buy a new 2011 Model and give us all a drive of it on the weekends.

Cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts
GU Tourer. I hear where you're coming from matey. Unfortunately my last 4x4 left me on sad but unexpected circumstances. I spent thousands on mods on my 98 Prado, suspension, stereo, tires and rims, you name it. A few weeks before I was due to fit a snorkel, I went 4WDing for the long weekend up at LCMP. I had been playing in the mud pit both that weekend and previous times without any issues, yet I went through a shallow creek on Hawkins Road (I think that's it) and as I came out, the engine seized from water getting in through the air intake (stupidly enough, its located in the wheel arch D/S). Since then I bought a 97 GQ Patrol RD28 and have spent a mint so far bringing up to standard due to neglect by the previous owners. Now It's getting to the point where some things are going wrong in a vehicle for its age 281,000 ks, I ask myself the same question you ask yourself.

What to do?
Sorry BigRemz not the same issue for the OP since he already has a patrol, I'd say your experience would be more of a enlightened moment. where as OP would be considered blasphemy!!!!

the OP should GHTD!!!! geeze if you feel like that about a GU hate to think what a MQ owner would think, my GQ has all that you mentioned its a 4b and gets used of course its going to squeak every now and again, just wait after a while and a hard wheel some of the squeaks actually go.... but get replaced by other issues

ash

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,994 Posts
When i look at my dents. . and misaligned barwork, and ruined bushes. . . . . . my automatic reaction is to try and remember how i broke that:confused:. . .good memory's:D. . . then just get it fixed.;)

I found a big dent in my right rear passenger door on my GQ once at the carwash(i usually find damage there -its a dangerous spot i tell ya!;)). . . didn't know where that dent came from until years later when i was watching some of my old videos. . . iv got This video of mick sliding sideways off a track into a big tree stump! and as he drives out of the ditch you can see the paint left on the tree! -haha!:ahah:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess another thing is, I spent a shed load on the suspension (the first time) getting it "right", well as right as a patrol can be (still illegal though, in the eyes of PD Fuzz and his merry band of ringmasters). Now, 6 years down the track (and yes I understand that all things wear), I have to go through the damn process again, the whole wagon just feels "tired". Being Troll owners, you already know the grief of trying to sort out flex v roll v legalities v decent sized rubber.

But I know its up for at least 5K in coin to get it back to par (Thats just supension), not talking about paint, interior etc.....

I'm not looking for you guys to tell me not to keep my beastie but just little "group hug", I suppose(???) for the seemingly endless $$$ we spend on these machines.

Whatever happended to the leyland brother landie that just kept going n going lol.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

substitute the red hair for brown .... less weight .. less ghey shirts ... and jimmy with coke in the glass .... LOL

and YOM ..... bugger off, this is a PATROL forum ........... ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Fair call by those said. I love my recently acquired GQ and don't plan to upgrade for quite awhile :) It is my new toy truck and I plan to keep adding mods to it over the next coupla years :D

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
The best way to fix your problem is to spend a week driving a GQ with 450000ks on the clock then get back in yours and you wont hear a thing.:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jacket_1985;483510[/ATTACH said:
now thats done. . . . buy some portals, and make it your project again.:p
ooo ooo ooo can I play?

What about a ute chop.... don't have to worry about the rear quarters then :driving: :santa: is comming you know

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,994 Posts
What about a ute chop....
:shock::shock::shock:

getting a 4.2diesel GU wagon and spending 15k chopping it into a ute is like buying a VE commodore ss wagon and spending 15k chopping it into a sedan! -stupid! it not only costs 15k, .. . it actually destroys the car you had at the start that was more valuable than the car you turn it into! -even if you end up with an awesome job.

if you want a patrol GU 4.2 ute, just go and buy one! same goes for the commodore! if you want a sedan. just buy it to start with! its cheaper.:rolleyes:

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
So we look at it kinda like this
You bought it,modded it,flogged it,bashed it around,ruffed it up a bit
And now its showing signs of abuse and neglect

And you want a group hug !!!!!

How bout a kick up the butt for not looking after things
Would that be better ???

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Maybe you should look at those dents as the fun things they are. It's only a car.

·
Registered
nissan
11,211 Posts
dints are like scratches just with better stories.
i say drive a gq for a while then yours will be like a stretch limo.
and 5k just to fix suspension jeez what you running kings coilovers or something???
i say just fix her up. deal with the few little lekky gremlins or get em fixxed and enjoy her for a while longer. what are you going to get that will be the same as the gu.
the new trol is a soft roader by a long shot. cruisers are no better unless you get the rough as guts 70 series. or a disco and well i wont even start on them.
so id fix up the gu and enjoy it for a while yet.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Things like, the paint is faded, dented and scratched, barwork doesn't quite line up dead straight anymore, a couple of electrical gremlins that you just can't iron out, door seals that just dont do their required job anymore, tinted windows are scratched, LOL windows (outside glass) is scratched, knocking bushes (again), clunks in the suspension, power steering growls ...... you know those "little" problems that puts you on the verge of making a decision that will inevitably end in you and the old girl parting ways.

My trol, 02 4.2 TD, 85000k's, mod list to extensive to contemplate regurgitating.

Am I crazy for thinking such thoughts? Should I be directed to Aisle 8 bottom shelf at bunnings for a bag of HTFU?

Dunno just thought Ide throw a thought out there for the hardened Troll owners .......
Yeah I think your crazy. It's barely run in. Plenty of life left the 'old' girl.
You might just do the same to a newer model anyway and go through all this BS again lol.
Start writing in the dents things like: 'Black C**katoo 4WD Park was here' etc and you'll stop taking it so seriously. (yes it's texta'd on one of my dings)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts