Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to here but got a question regarding a Nissan patrol 3L 07 GU,

it’s a hot day today I jumped in my car to turn my car on car started fine, all gauges working correctly. Put my seat belt on and saw my speedo read 0, revs read 0, fuel was empty, (but I had 3/4 tank) and temp said 0. A/c fan was on but blowing hot air/outside air. ( was a 35 degree day). Naturally checked all fuses and they are all clear. Phoned Nissan and they said that it sounds like more then a fuse and possibly a relay.. just don’t know what one.. ?? Any ideas?
Am reluctant to take it to a mechanic if it’s a simple fix as money is very tight.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,238 Posts
Could be a faulty ignition relay. It's located above the fusebox inside the vehicle. If you remove the plastic trim that sits above your pedals it makes it easier to access the relays. The ignition relay is the bottom left one. As a test swap it with the middle relay (interior fan)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks will try this tomorrow! Are all the relays the same? Was reading up and someone else was saying I can just use 2 relays from another Nisan? Just not sure exactly what relays are blown... am thinking either ECM, accessory or ignition but my car starts easy as Furst go without these instruments so not too sure if it is the ignition?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,238 Posts
ECM & accessory relays won't stop the gauges from working. Only Ignition relay. As long as the relay is blue it will fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh okay I see, will the ignition relay stop the A/C compressor from working?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... all relays are working as they should? When I swap the blower one out ect they still don’t work? And the IGN will work in the blower and the blower will work in the ign...??? Wiring harness??..

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,238 Posts
With the ignition relay out and the ignition on check if two of the pins in the relay holder have power

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,238 Posts
Check the connections where they tapped into the original wire harness. Possibly under the steering coloum cover

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,238 Posts
What would I be looking for?
You are looking to see if you can find where they connected the unit. Normally it's connected to the original wire harness that's runs off the back of the ignition switch. Check the connections to make sure they haven't come apart or a wire has broken.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are looking to see if you can find where they connected the unit. Normally it's connected to the original wire harness that's runs off the back of the ignition switch. Check the connections to make sure they haven't come apart or a wire has broken.
Those connections were all fine, do you know if the ECM and a unified meter control unit are the same thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I now have occasional power loss?...
Now driving on the freeway i found myself having to downshift to try and keep my speed up and even then it still was losing speed.. I pulled over turned my car off and had a quick look, couldnt see anything dirrectly noticeable, jump back in and my car is turning over and over but wont start? i try again and pump a little gas and she starts after a while.. But then soon as she started i went to put my foot on the accelerator and got absolutely no response for about 5-10 seconds then she drove home reasonably okay...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts