Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
sounds like the resitor has gone on the fan speen switch, they normaly only owrk on number 4 when this happens. replaced heaps in tojo's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
IF it is only working on speed 4, there is a good chance it is the resistor, it is screwed to the fan housing. It has 4 wires going in to it Blue, Blue white, Blue red and Blue with grey flecks.
on speed 4 it bypasses the resistor, there for running at full.
I think if you check resistance between the
blue wire and Blue white,
blue red and Blue white
Blue grey and Blue white.
if there is infinite resistance then you will need to replace it.
I do not have the actual resistance values between each wire but there should be some. getting more and you move between the wires?
I have not checked this it is theoretical looking a wiring diagram.
See how you go- post the results and if necessary I can check mine for you.

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF it is only working on speed 4, there is a good chance it is the resistor, it is screwed to the fan housing. It has 4 wires going in to it Blue, Blue white, Blue red and Blue with grey flecks.
on speed 4 it bypasses the resistor, there for running at full.
I think if you check resistance between the
blue wire and Blue white,
blue red and Blue white
Blue grey and Blue white.
if there is infinite resistance then you will need to replace it.
I do not have the actual resistance values between each wire but there should be some. getting more and you move between the wires?
I have not checked this it is theoretical looking a wiring diagram.
See how you go- post the results and if necessary I can check mine for you.
Hi CJT and dassloth

How easy is the mongrel thing to find and replace? I'm assuming the item's cost is low?

Sorry CJT, I'm not an electronics kind of person (I don't even own a multi meter!!). Is it hard to remove and fit a new one?

Thanks for the help though!

·
Vendor
1,530 Posts
You will find it in the heater fan housing behind the glove box. I can't remember if you can see it from underneath or just drop the glove box out as it will make it easier to find. Would be 99% sure that will be your problem.
Assume you have a QG by the login. About $100 give or take $15. There are a couple of different ones.

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will find it in the heater fan housing behind the glove box. I can't remember if you can see it from underneath or just drop the glove box out as it will make it easier to find. Would be 99% sure that will be your problem.
Assume you have a QG by the login. About $100 give or take $15. There are a couple of different ones.
Hi NB

Actually, its a 2001 GU. I kept the same username from when I had the Mav'. Have you got a link to your shop?

·
Registered
15 Posts
replaced my fan speed resistor 3 or 4 weeks ago as i was having the same problems..about $80 from nissan and its just under the glove box..no need to take anything apart just get on your back and stick your head under..if need be i can take a picture..its jusy 2 screws with 4 wires going into it..they are blue and white from memory

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replaced my fan speed resistor 3 or 4 weeks ago as i was having the same problems..about $80 from nissan and its just under the glove box..no need to take anything apart just get on your back and stick your head under..if need be i can take a picture..its jusy 2 screws with 4 wires going into it..they are blue and white from memory
Ta dude

And will do!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
One more thing to check while you have the dead resistor pack out.
Make sure the fan spins freely - had the pack replaced in the mav only to have it burn out again in 2 days. Problem was the fan motor bearings sticking. Replaced fan motor & fan with a S/H unit, new resistor pack and it's been great for 3 years. I did relube the fan motor bearings before it was fitted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts