Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that a close friend died last night. I was only having a cup of tea on his varandah 2 days ago. He has a wife, and 2 kids aged 4 and 12.

Make sure you let your family know how much you love them. there may not be a tommorow.

Gordon

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Sorry to hear mate. Sad news. What happened if you don't mind my asking.

FWIW I only told my little bro I loved him just the other day. Feels good to know he knows.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heart attack

He had a heart attack brought on by asthma. He was a very fit guy, bannana farmer.
He was only in his mid thirties.

When I heard he had died I was sure it would have been from rolling a tractor on himself out on the bannana farm, I NEVER thought it would have been health related, he could walk up a 45 degree slippery hill with 50kgs of bannanas on his shoulders for 10 hours a day. I can't believe he's gone.

Any advice on how to help his family in the coming weeks?

Gordon

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Mate, all I can say is make yourself available, but don't keep offering. I imagine they want some time. That said, i've never lost somebody so tragically so I'm guessing.

Wrt his health... You never know. Sometime I suppose your time is up and the big fella upstairs comes knocking. again, my condolences.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spread the love.

Sorry to hear mate. Sad news. What happened if you don't mind my asking.

FWIW I only told my little bro I loved him just the other day. Feels good to know he knows.

Why not end every conversation like that. Some blokes think it makes them appear like a sissy but I think the opposite, it takes a real man to tell another bloke that they love them, same goes for woman and children too.
My dad never told us that he loved us, I tell my own kids about 10 times a day.
Spread the love, people.

Gordon

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
So sorry for your loss Gordon, as Mic said, just be there for them when they need you, and they will, trust me.
Best friends are very hard to part with, especially when it's too early.
There is an old saying, " when the good times roll, you can count your friends, when times are tough, count em again" I'm sure you will be there mate, regards Rod.:(

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Why not end every conversation like that. Some blokes think it makes them appear like a sissy but I think the opposite, it takes a real man to tell another bloke that they love them, same goes for woman and children too.
My dad never told us that he loved us, I tell my own kids about 10 times a day.
Spread the love, people.

Gordon
How true, good point mate, not that I think it needs to be said but you are obviously a good friend to him and his otherwise this thread wouldn't exist!
Stronger man than I :bowdown: :bigthumb:

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Gordo, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of a good mate.I know that feeling, it is horrible. Best thing you can do is be there for his family if they want someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on. Ask the wife if you can look after the kids as she will have some heartbreaking things to sort out. Maybe take her to the appointment with funeral directors, things like that, just be a shoulder to lean and cry on.

You are a strong person and she needs a rock to lean on in this time of grief. She will need help when the funeral and things are finalised and that is when others will walk away, remain there for her.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gordon, I feel for the family as well as you as their close friend.

I lost both my parents last year as well as a close friend who had two kids (though divorced and 53). My wife is currently in Scotland, just buried her father and her mother is very ill, it's heart wrenching to say the least. They say that time heals, I have yet to feel it, but I guess it will come one day.

I'm not a guy who displays his emotions to people I dont know and especially on a forum like this, but I do to the people who matter, my family and close friends. I am always climbing in to jets and choppers, working in dodgy countries and am very aware how fleeting life can be, so I let them know my feelings all the time (one mate in Noosa keeps calling me gay for it, but I know deep down he loves it).

All the best to your friends family and yourself, remain close with them as the kids will want to know who their dads friends were, and what he was like, one day.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
gordonmichaellee said:
Any advice on how to help his family in the coming weeks?
just let them know your there for them any time of day/night for any reason.
If they need help with arranging anything, 'heres my number and address'.

Its hard but try not to get in their way/face if you know what I mean.. EG: its hard to know when your doing too much or you can seem to be too pushy.

My ex-boss here - great bloke, he hired me, he moved to USA 18mths ago - his son works here. His son got a phone call 2 days ago ' your dads in hospital, cancer taken over, he has pneumonia, get here as fast as you can'... :( Not sure what to say to him either.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Condolences Gordon, life can really serve up some hard balls. One thing. Make sure you don't neglect yourself either. I know it may sound a bit silly, but he was a mate of yours and this will affect you too. don't be afraid to ask for help yourself, even if you are giving it out to others.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
SBP, that's a damn good point, Gordo take note of that.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
To all involved....... Thoughts and prayers.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Mid thirties...thats just sooo WRONG!
It's one of lifes hard knocks...if he was that good a mate then keep an eye out for his family/kids. He'll be proud that you're watching over them and you'll get a huge kick knowing the same...it'll help honestly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts