Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I thought that rather than post the "almost" finished pics of our unintended GU project, it might be a little more interesting to see the "Before" (as purchased), "Progression" and "Current" pics.
To give some background and context to this story, here's an excerpt from my first and original intro post:
We've had our GU since October last year and purchased it as an upgrade to our 2009 Ranger. We tow an off road camper van and just found the Ranger was a little on the lightish side for the type of traveling and exploring we found ourselves wanting to do. The Ranger has been great, but we hope the Patrol better suits our needs moving forward. It's our second Patrol, (the first was an MQ Turbo Diesel Wagon a few years back, which was a really great vehicle. We purchased the GU TD42 from QLD as a one owner from new with 120 000km. It was chopped, extend and all QLD plated from new. We bought it back to WA and none of it was recognised by the local authorities, so I've spent the last 7 months reducing the weight with a new tray, lowering it from 5" to 2" and getting a GVM upgrade. A WA engineer has also gone over it with a fine-tooth comb and we're almost ready to get it rego'd (this week?)

Cheers,
Brett.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing that did have a bearing on the dimensions of the tray, (particularly the width) was a slide-on canopy that we picked up on Gumtree for our Patrol. It was custom built and fitted out for a 200 Series Dualcab ute. It is 2000mm wide and 1900mm long excluding the spare tyres and the ladder. It was taken on a 2 week camping trip and sold on (to us) to fund a more family friendly Mark 2 version.

Off to "Jenny Craig" and the Gym. First the big, heavy, all steel tray (1900mmW x 2000mmL) was removed. This was followed by a GVM Upgrade by "Pedders", taking it up to a GVM of just under 3500kg. This also lowered it from a 5" lift down to just over 2".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the new (secondhand) canopy is wider than the old tray was, the planned new tray needed to be 100mm wider (50mm each side doesn't sound like much but it is). This created the first challenge. The original alloy wheels and tyre combo was just going to look weird (narrow). A set of 10" steel rims at -44 offset looked to be the correction that was needed. That created the second challenge. They're too wide for the front now. Maybe some flares will be needed? It's all a part of this "Knock-on Effect" that I'm beginning to understand, comes with a project like this! The mounts for the old tray are also too high and will need to be reduced a little.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The all import Foundations! Size, Dimension, Height, Proportion, Clearance, Access..... A really good fabricator considers all these very important issues. :unsure:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now for some depth! What about that headboard? You know the "straight up and down bit" at the front of the tray that protects the cab from the load?,,,, Yeah???

Well,,, when they did the chop, the cab wasn't made exactly vertical. Soooo,,, a straight headboard doesn't quite look right. "I'm not happy with how it looks vertical", said the Fabricator. "I recon following the line of the cab is the go", he said... I agreed,,, And so it was!

Did we make the right call? What do you think? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,032 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,371 Posts
Me too. Good call. 👍

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,531 Posts
Looks good mate. Chops are almost always done on an angle by shops, so what you have is common.

I would reconsider your rear wheels if I were you. I know they may look right, but a negative offset of 44 is placing extra load on your wheel bearings. Not sure about WA, but in Qld they would not be legal for this exact reason.

Looks like it will be a great touring rig.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good mate. Chops are almost always done on an angle by shops, so what you have is common.

I would reconsider your rear wheels if I were you. I know they may look right, but a negative offset of 44 is placing extra load on your wheel bearings. Not sure about WA, but in Qld they would not be legal for this exact reason.

Looks like it will be a great touring rig.
Thanks for the feedback Shayne, it's confirmation of my thinking too.
I picked up the wheels at a good price at the time that we needed to check the tray width so I grabbed them. Ultimately, if I can invest a little bit in a better set at a lower offset, -22 or -25 perhaps that would be my preference for sure. Not real keen on the tyres. The Nitto MT's that were on the original rims were a little less aggressive and much better suited to what we'll be doing with her.
Almost there but there'll be more tweaks along the way I'm sure! Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I reckon we should repaint the Bull Bar or it might stand out like the proverbial?"
Black like it was, or colour matched?
Ahhhh,,, "Colour matched?" "Yeah, that's what I was thinking too" said Troy. "Good choice" He's not just a great fabricator! He can paint alright too, aye!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hang on a minute? The guards on the back that accomodate the wider tray, that accommodates the wider canopy, means the front guards aren't wide enough now!
Cobra Flares?
Kut Snake Flares?
EXO Flares?
Yeah, EXO Flares! They're the ones that suit this build for sure! Thanks Zoltan, it'll bring the front and the back together beautifully! Also colour matched of course.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts