Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited a solar panel mat made up of 12 flexible solar panels.....but I have no idea of it's output.
I have just purchased a Pirannah DB180 S dual battery management unit that has a provision for solar panels up to 50 watts (I think) and I'd like to use this feature as a trickle charger using these solar panels.

The big Question is....how do I know how many watts my panels are putting out? If I lay them down in the sun I can just measure volts.....any help appreciated before I start making smoke.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I have a piranha DB180S and I was looking at using solar through the input on the unit, yes I believe it is limited to something like 50W (the new DB180SX is up to 100W). I rang Piranha in regards to the setup with it and if I recall correctly I was asking about putting an 80W panel into it. I was told it is simply that if you plug an 80W panel into it you will only get 50W output, so no point going over 50W as you will lose the benefit of the potential panel output. If however you already have some panels and no idea what they are and only really want that 50W you could just plug it in and see how it goes. Obviously I'd recommend calling piranha and asking to double check that it will not cause damage to the unit.

No doubt someone else will pipe in with a good way to tell how many watts the panels are, I would have assumed there would have been a label on the back or something.

Goodluck

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll send them an email thx. The panels are intended for military use and yes there's a label sewn into the back...but it's half missing and I can't gather all of the details :-(

I have a 75w regulator already but would like to use the Piranha unit to simply my cabling.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are you going to run the panels permanently? Why not just run them directly to a battery, this way you get to pick which battery you want to charge.

·
Registered
nissan
1,528 Posts
Try charging a flat battery on a sunny day with an ammeter in series, see how many amps you get then work out the power using the measured volts & current. It's rough, but will give you an idea. If your output happens to be near or exactly 50w then your panel will most certainly be greater than 50w.

Cheers,

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I have a piranha DB180S and I was looking at using solar through the input on the unit, yes I believe it is limited to something like 50W (the new DB180SX is up to 100W). I rang Piranha in regards to the setup with it and if I recall correctly I was asking about putting an 80W panel into it. I was told it is simply that if you plug an 80W panel into it you will only get 50W output, so no point going over 50W as you will lose the benefit of the potential panel output. If however you already have some panels and no idea what they are and only really want that 50W you could just plug it in and see how it goes. Obviously I'd recommend calling piranha and asking to double check that it will not cause damage to the unit.

No doubt someone else will pipe in with a good way to tell how many watts the panels are, I would have assumed there would have been a label on the back or something.

Goodluck
That's interesting, I have a 120 watt panel charging my AGM battery in the back and I have a piranha db180s and wondered about the 50 watt max.
I wonder if a can divide my wire that goes to my regulator and send some current to my main battery via the piranha solenoid
Currently the panel just charges second battery for the fridge , but the patrol gets parked up for weeks at a time so a trickle charge would be good for the battery .

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
That's interesting, I have a 120 watt panel charging my AGM battery in the back and I have a piranha db180s and wondered about the 50 watt max.
I wonder if a can divide my wire that goes to my regulator and send some current to my main battery via the piranha solenoid
Currently the panel just charges second battery for the fridge , but the patrol gets parked up for weeks at a time so a trickle charge would be good for the battery .
Now that would be an interesting setup, not sure how that would work if either battery would draw as much amps out of the panel as it needs? up to the 50w. I'd say it's worth a call to piranha to see what they say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts