1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time writer.

We bought a 2008 GU ST roughly 4 months ago with the run of the mill accessories, factory bulbar/towbar/spots, UHF, Ironman 12000lb winch, 2" lift, dual batt./ Mick Thompson 285/70/17 MTZ

Today the misses spun the patrol around in the wet and was nearly T-boned, probably due to low-ish tread or just muds being muds.

So I am looking for a decent A/T the same size.
I have done some research on a few forums but it seems that a lot of the info isn't up to date with current tyres available.

I have narrowed it down to a few types of tyres.
Cooper A/T3, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Mick Thompson ATZ.

Any ones recommendations, Pros/Cons, where to buy in Brisbane or approx. cost, would be much appreciated.

Hope you liked my story.
Thanks in advance,
Ross.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time writer.

We bought a 2008 GU ST roughly 4 months ago with the run of the mill accessories, factory bulbar/towbar/spots, UHF, Ironman 12000lb winch, 2" lift, dual batt./ Mick Thompson 285/70/17 MTZ

Today the misses spun the patrol around in the wet and was nearly T-boned, probably due to low-ish tread or just muds being muds.

So I am looking for a decent A/T the same size.
I have done some research on a few forums but it seems that a lot of the info isn't up to date with current tyres available.

I have narrowed it down to a few types of tyres.i
Cooper A/T3, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Mick Thompson ATZ.

Any ones recommendations, Pros/Cons, where to buy in Brisbane or approx. cost, would be much appreciated.

Hope you liked my story.
Thanks in advance,
Ross.
I have recently had to make a similar decision. We narrowed it down to Yokohama geolandars, Dick Cepak fun country or Goodyear Duratracs. At this stage we have decided to go with the Yokohamas and are currently just looking around for the best price.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
15 Posts
Been running MAXXIS AT771's and have have no problems in the wet, dry, offroad, upgrading tyres to the MAXXIS AT980, I get these cheaper than the big price brand and they last just as long and work just as well, IMO of course, i'll probably get flamed for it though.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
Been running MAXXIS AT771's and have have no problems in the wet, dry, offroad, upgrading tyres to the MAXXIS AT980, I get these cheaper than the big price brand and they last just as long and work just as well, IMO of course, i'll probably get flamed for it though.
mate i run at771's on work ute,plant trailer and the other halfs car,on mine onroad i run the at 980's and they are a top tyre. was running at751's for yrs on the ute and they perished and cracked before they got to the wear indicators.bighorns are a good tyre as well

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
15 Posts
bl**dy good tyre for the price, I cop it from the joneses here for not owning $1,000,000 tyres like they do, funny when they bust one and they bleed through the wallet, LOL, I'm looking at the new MAXXIS muddies for some play tyres as well, at $270 a tyre it sounds better than $440 for toyo or some other brands.

·
Registered
nissan
53 Posts
I'm running maxxis 751 and bighorns. Found both types to be more than up to the job. 751's are long wearing and have good traction in wet or dry and not a bad off-road choice for beach and track work.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I've had a few different tyres and so far the best AT has been the yokohama geolandars. Good on and off road and last ages.

I know what you mean about the muddies... I had them previously and they were very dangerous in the wet on the road. I'm not sure how they can be considered safe for road use?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dick Cepek Fun Country, not quite a Muddy but an aggressive AT.
Just put a new set of 5 of these on after doing over 100,000km on the previous Dick Cepek AT's (FCII's) that still had 6-7mm of tread on them.........
No punctures on these even after 7000km at half worn though Central Aus with heaps of gibber & sharp rocks, although $350 each (285/75/16's) there was little thought as to which tyre I would buy again.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
419 Posts
Mickey ATZ p3 or Cooper ST Maxx are the best of both worlds (mud and AT) IMO.

Reactions: dronus4x4

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Have you thought about Goodyear Wrangler duratrac? I got 5 from Jax quick fit at aspley for $2250 fitted and balanced.. Awesome tyres.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Have you thought about Goodyear Wrangler duratrac? I got 5 from Jax quick fit at aspley for $2250 fitted and balanced.. Awesome tyres.
hmmm that seem's pretty pricey........ I can't remember the exact price I paid............. but think it was ~380 a tyre a couple of months back @ K-mart........ On another note a mate of mine with a jeep could not get any tyres he was interested in (20in rims......) so ordered a set of Duratrac's from the states......... five day delivery $364 australian dollars per tyre delivered............

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Still, it's a bloody good tyre. And I have 17 inch rims...Extremely quiet on the road, yet one I the most aggressive all terrains out there. I'm up to 30K and they've hardly worn. I bought them because other forum members have got upto and over 100K out of them. I've been to cruiser park on them, 24psi and unstoppable.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
For those running bighorns, how do you find their wet road performance? I'm looking at new tyres soon and have the same concern as the OP about poor traction in the wet. During the week my wife mostly drives our Patrol. I'm looking at 285 70 17 and this size seems to be limited for ATs but there is a wider variety of MTs.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Need to replace my km2s after 3yrs,
Been a great tyre but not getting out enough to warrant them, just got a price on the maxxis 980 for 280, there is a wait on container due in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Still, it's a bloody good tyre. And I have 17 inch rims...Extremely quiet on the road, yet one I the most aggressive all terrains out there. I'm up to 30K and they've hardly worn. I bought them because other forum members have got upto and over 100K out of them. I've been to cruiser park on them, 24psi and unstoppable.
How are they on the road, and in the wet? I like the look of this tyre for off road but the Patrol is the mrs car mon-fri and is used a lot on road carting the kids around.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
How are they on the road, and in the wet? I like the look of this tyre for off road but the Patrol is the mrs car mon-fri and is used a lot on road carting the kids around.
Really good. I drive minimum 500kms a week for work on tarmac. Great in the wet, have a look on youtube for reviews in the snow. Slimy roads will always need care, even with the best tyre available. I researched quite a lot, until I settled on this tyre. The only down side is that they are a little pricey.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Really good. I drive minimum 500kms a week for work on tarmac. Great in the wet, have a look on youtube for reviews in the snow. Slimy roads will always need care, even with the best tyre available. I researched quite a lot, until I settled on this tyre. The only down side is that they are a little pricey.
As Crackers said, they are good in the wet, but still require care, they aren't a performance road tyre so will get a bit out of shape if not careful! I have had them in the snow, and they were excellent!

Not knocking the tyre mate, I have them in 28570R17 also ;) Bloody happy with them, have a look @ Kmart Tyre and auto when it is time to replace them............ they were way cheaper than anyone else for them!

here they are in action ;) http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/testing-duratracs-brindabella-ranges-act-181186/

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
For those running bighorns, how do you find their wet road performance? I'm looking at new tyres soon and have the same concern as the OP about poor traction in the wet. During the week my wife mostly drives our Patrol. I'm looking at 285 70 17 and this size seems to be limited for ATs but there is a wider variety of MTs.

Bighorns are terrible in the wet when worn (I currently have 7mm thread left)

·
Registered
GU IV TI 4.8
356 Posts
i've been running the maxxis at980 in 285/75/16 for a few months now and have nothing bad to report. i changed from some well worn mtz's too. they handle well, produce only a moderate hum on road and are wearing nice and evenly. would recommend them as a replacement for you for sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts