Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents,

Let me start off by saying, this has been consuming me for a week. I should have turned to you sooner, but I wanted to be a big boy and solve my own problem for once. It didn't work out.

I'm in the process of replacing the carrier arm bearings. Got the first side done no worries, couple of hours but no trouble. The other side the big M20 bolt & Nut seized. Unfortunately the nut is supposed to be held captive but while using my gentle persuader to turn it it has rounded the nut. No more captivity.

I soaked it in WD40 and attempted to hold the nut by jamming a screwdriver in, no joy. I went out and bought a Dremel since there's very little room and thought this would be a good tool to just cut the nut off, there just isn't enough room in there even with the small pencil Dremel attachment. I've tried giving this thing a million slices with the dremel and then beating it with a chisel. No joy. I've tried drilling through the nut, but it's too restricted I could only get 1 hole, and broke most of my drill bits in the process.

I rang around all the mechanics in my area and they're too busy to see me for a month... and by then I should be on a holiday in this giant pile of trouble.

Could someone please show me the light

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,820 Posts
That bit of steel on the right hand side of the nut (assume that's what stops it turning) looks like the weld is broken. Can you break it off then get an open end spanner onto the nut. Use an impact wrench on the bolt, that's more likely to loosen it than the breaker bar.
I can't tell if it's a Nylock nut or not. If it's not, heat it up & put a wax candle on the bolt where it goes into the nut. The wax will wick up inside the thread, then it should come off easily.
If those methods don't work, tack weld the nut to the bar.

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@AndrieK Unfortunately yes, ARB don't put much thought into servicing their products :(

@62woollybugger Love your name mate, my favorite fly. I ended up pulling out the angel grinder and going to town. Unfortunately now I can't seem to get the bloody M20 bolt out. I think it's seized onto a bearing inside the housing. This has turned into war

·
Registered
Nissan
7,068 Posts
@AndrieK Unfortunately yes, ARB don't put much thought into servicing their products :(

@62woollybugger Love your name mate, my favorite fly. I ended up pulling out the angel grinder and going to town. Unfortunately now I can't seem to get the bloody M20 bolt out. I think it's seized onto a bearing inside the housing. This has turned into war

View attachment 530490
Looks like you need fire. And beer. Fire first though.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,068 Posts
@klappers I've retired for the day for beers. How would you use fire to solve this stubborn bastard?
Heat the bolt to try and pop it off the bearing. From the top with a gas axe/butane torch

·
Registered
41 Posts
agreed, we had similar problems with the bolts holding the upper triangle in various VW / Audi models, they would seize inside the bearings. heat was the only was to get them loose. heat and the big ol' hammer :cool:

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,820 Posts
Just get a new bolt & leave it as is & head off on your trip, guaranteed it will come out by itself at the most inconvenient moment.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,992 Posts
Yeah oxy and a few 'love taps'
If you have a decent air compressor an air hammer is ideal, otherwise the swinging the biggest hammer you have around will work and is, at this point, arguably more therapeutic.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,319 Posts
Would it be too much of a crime to open up the steel below the bolt a bit with a grinder so you can get a straight hit on the POS with a suitable drift?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,150 Posts
In my experience with such problems, if you heat the mongrel up it will come out easily.

·
Registered
nissan patrol; gu iv
25 Posts
In my experience with such problems, if you heat the mongrel up it will come out easily.
Would it be too much of a crime to open up the steel below the bolt a bit with a grinder so you can get a straight hit on the POS with a suitable drift?

Unfortunately yes, but i had to do it.....

Mine was completely rusted in. Had to grind off the top Bolt head, then use another bolt (same size) to use as a punch while my mate hit it with a bloody great big hammer. (lots of times).

Just need to get it fixed up again.

Looks not too bad far away, but bloody awful close up.

Baz

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
for future reference too, in the VW/audi scenario i described earlier we lubed the shafts of the new bolts with tefgel, that should eliminate the problems in case they need to be taken out again. morale of that story is: when you mount a new bar lube the shafts of those bolts with tefgel :)

Reactions: J0SHMAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
That bit of steel on the right hand side of the nut looks like the weld is broken. Can you break it off then get an open end spanner onto the nut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts