Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that may have done it - Pulling the engine out next weekend for a clutch change, but I dont want to dump the AC gas and recharge, any clearance issues with just unbolting the compressor off the block and leave it hanging it there on a strain cable while the engine comes out for the new clutch.

Aw come on, surely some of you handyman types have pulled one of these from a GU before, I've pulled a few GQ's but just let the Gas go and its a PIA, but bad JuJu nowdays....

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
why not leave the eng in and drop the box.? i normally just open the passenger door, remove trims etc around g/stick. remove g/stick and slide eng crane in with a sling for the box. prop rear of box with trolley jack, remove gbox xmember, run sling from eng crane arm in the cab through hole in floor and presto box out.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Purplebus, box out is the easy part, but its too bloody heavy to push back in, done that a couple of times before, also don't forget, you have got to twist the gearbox the last bit to get it to line up, seen too many with sledgehammer dents in floor pan cause they got caught out. Engine out is the easiest and fastest, besides I want to fit my new turbo whilst its out, and do the valves, easier to do it on the engine stand where I can get at it all. Got a broken rib at the moment, not really big on lifting and pushing. Got all the gear in the Man Cave, cranes, stands, tools etc I need.

Ah well a bit of

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
I thought someone would have given you an answer to this one mate - the gurus must be sleeping ! Anyhow, from my GQ experience I'd say give it a go, if you need to bend the lines a touch, do it once and tie them up out of harms way. That compressor is heavy, and will be in your way I'd have thought, but with a bit of TLC you might get away with it. Another concern is the front mounted condenser, I think you really need to take that out, but I may be wrong. Give it a go, what you got to lose ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts