Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to a guide on replacing the condenser on the above Patrol?
I have searched and come up with nothing, but my google-fu has failed me in the past!

Cheers,
Luke

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Take it to an auto electrician that does aircon, most of them do. He will be able to source the correct one for your vehicle, and you need him anyway, to do the gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well where's the fun in that?

I've already paid for a regas which is still valid for a further regas (carried forward due to finding the leak) and balk at the likely cost of getting a retail new condenser if I can avoid that by getting a 2nd hand unit and fit it myself.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,141 Posts
Download the ESM. There's a link in my signature. It'll guide you through the process.

HOWEVER, as @andrew1964 said, you need to have it done by a professional. Not only is it illegal to let a/c gas off into the atmosphere, the stuff is also dangerous to your health in close proximity.

If you insist on doing the swap yourself, you need to first get someone with the correct equipment to recover the gas that is currently in the system.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well where's the fun in that?

I've already paid for a regas which is still valid for a further regas (carried forward due to finding the leak) and balk at the likely cost of getting a retail new condenser if I can avoid that by getting a 2nd hand unit and fit it myself.
Well, maybe you can find one at the wreckers, then take it to your aircon bloke to get installed and regassed.

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The system is empty due to having a shot condenser so there is no issue with gas being released, it's already been released.
I find it strange that this is the first time I've really seen people pushing to have a garage do something rather than the owner! I get that I need a professional to regas it, but given its a currently empty system I'm not sure why there is a reluctance to tackle a component swap at home.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,141 Posts
The system is empty due to having a shot condenser so there is no issue with gas being released, it's already been released.
I find it strange that this is the first time I've really seen people pushing to have a garage do something rather than the owner! I get that I need a professional to regas it, but given its a currently empty system I'm not sure why there is a reluctance to tackle a component swap at home.
It's all about the gas in this instance. If there's no gas in the system there's no reason why you can't swap the condenser yourself. I haven't done it myself on a Patrol, but I have on other vehicles. It's definitely not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think you need special o rings too, not plain rubber ones.

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll do some further digging around. If the system was full or partially full I'd certainly not be touching it. Just wondering how many other bits I will need to remove before I can reach it as they seemed to build Patrols like onions - layer over layer!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I’ve got a GQ, so it might be a tiny bit different, but basically just need to remove the grill and bonnet support bracket on mine, undo the inlet and outlet pipe work and any brackets holding it in, and it should come straight out. Admittedly, I’ve not actually done it, but just looking at mine it looks fairly straight forward.
I know with GQ’s there were different systems with different components and pipe work depending on whether it was installed in the factory in Japan, or in Australia as a Nissan dealer install. I don’t know whether the GU suffered from the same confusion or not.

·
Registered
2005 Patrol ZD30 DI
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've realised that I never came back to this thread.
I took it back to the garage when they had a bit more time and I'd taken the grille off the car, and got them to do another vacuum. With better access to the pipework I realised the issue wasn't the condenser, but one of the pipes from the condenser to the receiver/dryer.

I ordered a 2nd hand one from eBay, swapped them over and took it back.
Whilst it still showed a minor leak it regassed nicely and has held the gas for a few weeks now. The aircon is lovely and cold.

I suspect the slight leak is from seals which will have been dry, but hopefully with some use they will now have been lubricated and swelled.
If it should leak to the point where it needs a further regas I will add a leak seal product before the regas.

So far, so good.

Worked out easier and cheaper than a new condenser and fitting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts