Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
I just made a set:Dand made them to adjust for different size wheels, not hard if you know how to use a welder and cut steel.

Except mine dont fold up:-(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Super cheap have them on special at the moment... $42

My old man has one and its pretty handy...

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I have the Haigh one. Had it for about 3 or 4 years and made a folding table top out of marine ply that clips onto the step trebling its size. If you pop it onto your spare it is terrific for roadside brew ups etc

Pro's - Very strong and damn handy if you have a roof rack or for working in the engine bay of lifted trucks

Con's - don't adjust quite far enough for 315's and are real finger pinchers when folding up plus they rattle a lot on the corro's.

I used to use it a lot but not near as much now I have rear draws.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
I got mine prob 4 years ago too, from repco $50 from memory. Mainly use it at home for working on the car.And as evil said, watch your fingers, ive lost skin too over the years. Mine doesn;t fold up too well anymore, note to self remoove off wheel before trying to drive.:doh:

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
I have the Haigh one. Had it for about 3 or 4 years and made a folding table top out of marine ply that clips onto the step trebling its size. If you pop it onto your spare it is terrific for roadside brew ups etc

Pro's - Very strong and damn handy if you have a roof rack or for working in the engine bay of lifted trucks

Con's - don't adjust quite far enough for 315's and are real finger pinchers when folding up plus they rattle a lot on the corro's.

I used to use it a lot but not near as much now I have rear draws.
Quick Hijack but relevant I think.:bs:

Can you post a pic of your folding table thing... What a top Idea for the step:idea:.:bigthumb:

Oh and for OP I got the super-crap one and I reckon they all come out the same factory

dude... On special now tooo... & wool seat covers save $95 Smackers..:cool:

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Quick Hijack but relevant I think.:bs:

Can you post a pic of your folding table thing... What a top Idea for the step:idea:.:bigthumb:

Oh and for OP I got the super-crap one and I reckon they all come out the same factory

dude... On special now tooo... & wool seat covers save $95 Smackers..:cool:
I also am of the opinion they are all the same... well the ones I have seen are anyway

As for a pic of the table I haven't got one handy... its pretty basic.
1 Two pieces of Bunnings ply (or MDF if you like but paint the MDF) 300 x 600
2 One piano hinge 600 mm
3 Fit the hinge along two long sides of the ply
4 Put the step on the spare and open up the ply like a book (IE hinge goes front to back so the step offers the most support) and lay table on the step mark where the uprights are at the back of the table with the hinge centred between them.
5 Cut a notch in each piece of timber so the back of the table slides under the bolts that hold the step to the upright... this will stop any chance of the table tipping forward

You will find that the table when folded is about the same size as the step so they stow together pretty well.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I'm sure I test-fitted a Supacheap one to my 285/70x17 and it wasn't big enough to fit it? Can anyone confirm that they do?

And +1 on the fingers, I opened up a finger just fiddling with one of these things on the shelf in the shop...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts