Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys yesterday i had a brain far and thought id play with my actuator arm (turbo dynamics S2A td42) in the hope it would possibly make my turbo spool quicker or get some more boost in 1st and 2nd, the actuator is pretty much wound in all the way i suspect its been like this since the late 90's runs 15-17psi, i would it down but without a manual boost t it lets go at 5-7 its a 7.5 actuator, and makes egts run hot as hell i thought i put it back most of the way but im about 5psi off and it gets pulls up to 500c heaps quicker and easier i need a few more turns back on it

is there any benefit to me taking it back to standard preload and getting an adjustable boost t to do the adjusting will it make it run better, i dont think the turbo is capable to run any more boost anyway id just like a bit more lower down, it sits close to 5psi at 100 and when you put the foot down climbs up to 15 pretty quick

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Having more tension on the wastegate is extremely superior to having a bleed valve doing alot of work to achieve the required boost.

If it is adjustable, I always use the arm to get the boost within a few psi of target. Then use the boost controller to go a few more psi so the wastegate still has some decent amount of movement.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate, ive wound it all back to where it was but im still down atleast 5psi im not sure if it was stuck shut before i still have about 2 threads visible on the arm, but i just cant understand why it was opening at 16-17 now i cant get it to pull to 10psi, maybe ill just leave it disconnected all together egts were heaps better with 15psi than just under 10

at the moment im only getting about 3psi at 100kms cruising i know they arnt a great turbo and its pretty old but i dont have the money for a new one, it seems reliable and i get pretty good economy its no powerhouse from take off but, a 3inch exhaust and 3 inch dump might help it more

1 - 3 of 3 Posts