Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hoping for some help, just completed a lot of upgrades they are, 3" exhaust, EGT block, HPD intercooler fan forced, cleaned the inlet manifold and the duel throat to the intercooler, dawes valve and needle valve, boost and EGT gauges.
Went for a spin and can't get the boost above 10psi with the dawes all the way in and the needle valve closed.
Back home stretched the spring 5mm, adjusted the needle valve until the actuator just moved on the turbo, can't get the boost above 12psi driving hard. The egt are high spiking above 600, the boost won't move until the rpm is above 2000 and then it moves slowly. Have read and followed the posts on here about adjusting but must be missing something.
as soon as I take the foot off the boost drops to 0 and stays there even if doing 3000rpm and cruising won't move unless I put the boot in.
The EGT has me worried as I thought 400 was a good safe temp.

Any help on how to adjust both would be great.
Patrol 2003, 3ltr zd30

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,086 Posts
With all of the mods that you have done around the top of the engine, it may be worth checking that all of the vacuum lines are attached correctly and that none of them are split and leaking.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Also, try winding the needle valve in 1/8turn as you might be bleeding off boost.

Did you bypass the airbox solenoid?

Reactions: ChartersKnY

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply

With all of the mods that you have done around the top of the engine, it may be worth checking that all of the vacuum lines are attached correctly and that none of them are split and leaking.Thanks for the reply I have replaced almost all the hoses with new ones but good suggestion will check back over them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dronus4x4

Also, try winding the needle valve in 1/8turn as you might be bleeding off boost.

Did you bypass the airbox solenoid?
I had tried with the needle valve screwed all the way in effectively bypassing it all together made a small difference, yep bypassed the air filter resonator solenoid and plumed the return from the needle valve into the air filter resonator.

Pulled the dawes off again and noticed when blocking two ends and blowing/sucking there the third that a pressure or vacuum wasn't able to be held. Have since wrapped the thread in tape and now holds pressure/vacuum when doing the same thing.

Just about to put it back in and take her for a run, will post what happens.
By the way guys thanks for showing a bit of love and replying to the question, this forum works well when people comment.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I had tried with the needle valve screwed all the way in effectively bypassing it all together made a small difference, yep bypassed the air filter resonator solenoid and plumed the return from the needle valve into the air filter resonator.

Pulled the dawes off again and noticed when blocking two ends and blowing/sucking there the third that a pressure or vacuum wasn't able to be held. Have since wrapped the thread in tape and now holds pressure/vacuum when doing the same thing.

Just about to put it back in and take her for a run, will post what happens.
By the way guys thanks for showing a bit of love and replying to the question, this forum works well when people comment.
Good work.

Let us know how your test drive goes.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damm, just got back from a run ended up with the dawes screwed all the way in and the best I could get was 3psi @ 2200rpm while cruising. My EGT gauge is sitting on 500deg so that stuff my theory about the leaky dawes. All hoses are new and are plugged in, and I have checked at least half dozen times to see if I got the hook up right.

Any suggestions ohh great internet forum users.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Damm, just got back from a run ended up with the dawes screwed all the way in and the best I could get was 3psi @ 2200rpm while cruising. My EGT gauge is sitting on 500deg so that stuff my theory about the leaky dawes. All hoses are new and are plugged in, and I have checked at least half dozen times to see if I got the hook up right.

Any suggestions ohh great internet forum users.
Something isn't hooked up correctly.

What is your boost when you take off under acceleration?

Reactions: Alley Cat

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something isn't hooked up correctly.

What is your boost when you take off under acceleration?

I don't get a boost reading until we reach 2200rpm and then it shows on the gauge, my gauge is a positive boost only from 0 to 40psi. As soon as I back off the accelerator after getting a reading the boost will drop to 0 unless I keep the revs over 2300 and then the best we get from 2300 to 2600 is 5psi @ 3000rpm it climbs to just under 10psi but the temp is nudging 600. I have mounted the EGT probe just after the turbo before approx 2 inches from the flange.

Driving me batty.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Can you post some pics of how you have run everything?
Something isn't right as you should have boost as soon as you touch the pedal. With the needle shut it would be even more so.

Reactions: ChartersKnY

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome

Can you post some pics of how you have run everything?
Something isn't right as you should have boost as soon as you touch the pedal. With the needle shut it would be even more so.

I will post them in about 5 mins I just checked all the hoses again and it appears right so I will take pics, gotta say thanks for the help Dronus4x4.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I will post them in about 5 mins I just checked all the hoses again and it appears right so I will take pics, gotta say thanks for the help Dronus4x4.
Anytime. Yep show in the pics where the hoses run.

You might need to reset everything and start again, but we can do it step by step.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Images at last

Anytime. Yep show in the pics where the hoses run.

You might need to reset everything and start again, but we can do it step by step.

Took it for another run after checking every pipe and going over plumbing and tapping dawes thread, 300rpm at 6psi couldn't get any better. Have a look at the set up I had the needle valve open and closed and it made no difference. Is there a way to test the vacuum pump to see if it providing enough vacuum.

Couple of pics of the plumbing, if the pipes look loose or not on properly that was just before removing dawes.

Attachments

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
What is that clear pipe on top of your engine?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
??

What is that clear pipe on top of your engine?

Unsure what clear pipe you are referring to as there are no clear ones, there is a air con pipe that looks white in the pic. Are you on FB

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
In the second pic, there is a clear tube going to a t piece.

Nope sorry I don't have facebook

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3ltr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the second pic, there is a clear tube going to a t piece.

Nope sorry I don't have facebook

That is a foam insulator over the hose from the vacuum pump to the damper. I just pulled the ends of the fittings and defiantly have suction on the hose from the vac pump.
1 just before damper have vacuum
2 Dawes fitting end which goes to intercooler have vacuum when I back the daws out so the spring and ball are out of the way, meaning vacuum all the way thru daws up to T on intercooler.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
The clear pipe that I'm referring to is right next to you oil filler cap

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Also, is your dawes around the right way?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4 wagon
392 Posts
That pipe doesn't look clear to me, it looks like foam insulator with dirt on it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts