Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just been playing with the clutch adjustment on my GQ. and just want to know if i am correct in believing that as the clutch wears i adjust it by removing the pin on the peddle and winding the yoke part out a bit then replaceing the pin.
(not quite as simple as it sounds i know)

but how do you know when you have wound it out enough?
like if you go to far the clutch will just slip, so do just adjust it till it dont quite slip or is there some rule of thum you can go by?

I hope that all makes sence :confused:

cheers andy

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
As far as I can tell, the adjustment you've made is actually for free play in the pedal and not for the clutch itself. In fact, if you adjust it too far then you'll actually damage the system.

You'll find that, just like a braking system, it will adjust itself as it wears and there's no adjustment for you to do like you can in a cable operated clutch. I have a clutch issue with mine ATM where it only disengages when the pedal is on the floor and begins engaging from the 1st milimetre from the floor. Testing all other aspects, bleeding the system, checking the slave cylinder, checking the clutch for slip, listening for what noises happen when etc, I'm concluding that this is more of a vacuum problem... a common problem at this age considering the weight of the clutch system it has to operate.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,686 Posts
there is no adjustment the only way to adjust it is to pull the gearbox out and bin the old unit
X2 it'll just keep going then one day, no clutch.
As soon as you notice it starting to slip, replace it asap.
Mind you when I swapped my gearbox 2 or 3 years ago the clutch was half worn then but it's still going strong.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
As far as I can tell, the adjustment you've made is actually for free play in the pedal and not for the clutch itself. In fact, if you adjust it too far then you'll actually damage the system.

You'll find that, just like a braking system, it will adjust itself as it wears and there's no adjustment for you to do like you can in a cable operated clutch. I have a clutch issue with mine ATM where it only disengages when the pedal is on the floor and begins engaging from the 1st milimetre from the floor. Testing all other aspects, bleeding the system, checking the slave cylinder, checking the clutch for slip, listening for what noises happen when etc, I'm concluding that this is more of a vacuum problem... a common problem at this age considering the weight of the clutch system it has to operate.
hi mate old thread i no but whas it just a case of needing a new clutch on yours mine is the exact same atm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.