Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed what sounds like an exhaust leak noise coming from the head. I've checked the headers, tightened all bolts and all is fine. Just wondering could it possibly be the valves causing this noise. If so, has anyone adjusted valves on a 4.8 and what was the best process on doing this?
Cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are shimmed mate. Unless you've done it before I would take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Trust me they suck, even doing them on my bike sucks.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
22 Posts
I had mine done just recently by Engine Solutions in Airport West Melbourne. It was part of my head overhaul to run on LPG. The whole job with a full set of gaskets and new bolts, hardened valve seats, head decked and dipped $1800 including GST. In my mind it was reasonable considering its a 24 valve head.

·
Registered
nissan
181 Posts
done mine around the start of the year, absolute bugger to do but is possible if you have the tools. Basically pull off cam cover then check gaps on intake and exhaust, then depending on which ones need adjusting pull shim out and measure thickness that way you can check what size shim you need or as in my case i took them to GEM motors in coffs who were able to grind them down for me. reinstall shims then off you go for another 60000km if ur on gas lol sounds easy but will take a minimum of say 6hrs by the time you pull everything off, I would suggest doing the plugs while you have everything off as well :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts