Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

After the last few weeks installing a turbo to my patrol inbetween working away and family life I think I've come to the point where my mechanical ability out weighs perceived mechanical ability. Chances are this is now going to cost more to finish then what it probably would have to get a professional to do in the first place. Problem is I enjoy playing with my cars and chances are that like before I will not learn from this. Admitting defeat is hard considering I like to think of myself as pretty handy.

Who else has discovered this and what do you do? Keep on tinkering or now just hand over the green notes and enjoy the fruits of someone else's labour?

Crack

·
Registered
nissan
11,150 Posts
What seems to be the problem. Fitting a turbo I'm guessing to a td42 isn't hard. I hate admitting defeat and will persevere for ages. Absolutely bloody ages. I won't give up haha. And I don't even enough to pay someone. Being a mechanic does help though haha.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it fitted and runs. There a whine coming from somewhere I think maybe the intake I just can't worknout where and I'm to scared to drive it to UFI so might get local mobile mechanic to have a look

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Don't admit defeat!
There's plenty of info and help on here, just ask:)
I'm not a mechanic but pretty handy around a car, If you would like a hand let me know and we can see what can be arranged, a few others in WA that would be willing to help too, a lot cheaper starting point than a workshop and you get to learn as well.
Whine sounds like an intake air leak, check gaskets etc or could be turbo bearing, if bearing type turbo, lack of oil feed to turbo, could even be alternator noise, hard to say
Just don't give up, defeatist attitude is rot setting in !:)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Don't give up, just turn the radio up till you can't hear it.
:)

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well wasn't there before turbo. Motor has 1500km on it so that another reason Im scared to proceed. All clamps are done up and bolts snorkel is sucking air. Could try a bag over it and see if it stalls. Turbo got looked at by UFI said was all good just a bit of dusting to compressor wheel which could be the reason behind last motor detonation. Oil feed is from Allen bolt inside engine mount. I've followed the dts instructions and Internet which was basically the same maybe more in depth.

I've never been greatly mechanically minded but I've always had a good mechanic that if just tow my car to and he would give me a Hand when things went wrong haha. No longer have that advantage.

·
Registered
nissan
11,150 Posts
As long as the oil pressure to the turbo is good and there isn't a rag or something in the intake manifold. You cannot hurt it to run it. Did you prelude the turbo before you hit the key or was it second hand? When does it make the noise. All the time or just when you rev it.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Came off the same car just a different motor. Turbo already had oil dripping from drain and supply line so didn't worry about prelubing the lines. Rags are out lines are clear. Does it at I suppose high/peak revs or under load so I guess over the 2000rpm range. Oil pressure seams fine now I've change to the correct oil filters.

·
Registered
nissan
11,150 Posts
Sounds like either a boost or exhaust leak. Gaskets and stuff to turbo and manifold are all good? When I put my new turbo on the manifold to turbo gasket blew out fairly quickly and screamed like a stuck pig under load. Could be similar for you.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm could be that. I reused the gasket as it was in good nick cleaned it up and put a light coat of high temp silicon on it.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as a boost leak goes where would that come from? The little hose from turbo to actuator?

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Never admit defeat...

You have duct tape, WD40 and and gas axe don't you.

If it needs to be tight or sealed, duct tape it.

If it's tight and needs to be loose, use WD40

If it should not be there, use gas axe.

Reactions: madk1w1

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No gas axe. I've tried loading a short video up but it won't load for some reason. Ell try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Never admit defeat...

You have duct tape, WD40 and and gas axe don't you.

If it needs to be tight or sealed, duct tape it.

If it's tight and needs to be loose, use WD40

If it should not be there, use gas axe.
Cable tie's and a BF hammer would also go well in there too .

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,150 Posts
hmmm kinda sounds air leak related. can you get it to do it not driving ie just in the garage. also remove the intake hose to the turbo and see if that make a difference. just trying to isolate it.
otherwise run up on a dyno i reckon it would be found in 10 minutes. but i dont believe you will do damage by driving it.

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh does it just reving it aswell. One of the kids is at school tomorrow so I'll try a couple things that have been suggested. Failing that or I'll do it in morning and give the turbo joint a buzz. Seems to drive fine just a horrible noise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts