Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All
I have just cleared up a myth with a Dept of Tpt compliance officer QLD, regarding led light bars and lights on roof racks etc. Qld now has legislation in place that allows you to use just a single light bar or light or odd numbered lights on your vehicle rack or roof rack so long as if does NOT exceed 4.3 m above ground level and they are symmetrically mounted, ie not all over the shop. He did say that it can't cause a danger or protrusion from your bull bar and be a HAZARD to pedestrians. So mounting them on the top of the top rail on a Bull bar is not ok. Apart from that everything else is ok, just have to have them wired legally and all is sweet. THERE is always a BUT. If you cross into another state or territory you MUST comply with their local regs and these may exclude the mounting and use of roof mounted light bars or lights(as is the case in NSW). He quoted ADR 13 and read it to me on the phone. Might make a good read!!!

Cheers All
Daniel

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
Thanks Daniel,

It sounds very much like you obtained this information through a verbal phone call with one person at DOT ?

In my experience with obtaining information in that manner, I have found out the hard way, that when it comes to Vehicle Modifications in QLD, "verbal" information, unfortunately is not really worth a pinch of poo poo.

The sad truth is, that if you talk to a "different" DOT officer, you may get a totally different interpretation of the rules, and if this officer is the one inspecting your car on the side of the road, you may still be issued with a defect.

I have been previously burned, I personally made 2 separate phone calls to DOT about rules, I spoke to 2 different people, both one week apart, they both said the same thing, so I took it as gospel, then when I went to register my car, I found out they were actually "both" wrong, and I then had to jump through more hoops than writing space on this page :(

You really need rules and regulations in writing, other wise, its just one persons interpretation of the rules, and may not actually be the correct interpretation.

May I suggest you ask the said officer to send you a link to the written info, or to email you a copy of the rules as he reads them, or........ask him to personally put it in writing (haha, he will never do that) without any of this in writing, it will stand up in court about as well as "me" telling you the same info at some party after consuming half a carton of jimmies :)

Anyway, here is a copy for you to interpret yourself .......

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 Amendment 4

1 - 2 of 2 Posts