Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol MQ SWB 1984
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be getting a new bus that has a front mount intercooler on it what are the Advantages and disadvantages front mount intercooler any info would be helpfull thanks

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Advantages - cooler air, no ugly as fuk bonnet scoop, more airflow than top mount.
Disadvantages - well since it's already fitted, not a lot. Probably won't be able to fit A/C in there... but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
nissan patrol MQ SWB 1984
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, some people say that they tend to over heat due to being infront of the radiator but isn't it a cooling advise In it's self and cools the air before entering the engine also do they need to b open to air flow as I have a few spot lights I my bar which will cover the front of the intercooler ???

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Not worth changing but IMHO there is no good reason to do a fmic over a tmic in 4x4. A good quality tmic rarely gets over 10 degrees above ambient with shorter plumbing and less load on the cooling system. Cheap cores have a slightly better chance in fmic configuration. Fmics are for track cars not 4x4s.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
What size is it? I wanna go fmic ill swap ya ;)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thanks mate, some people say that they tend to over heat due to being infront of the radiator but isn't it a cooling advise In it's self and cools the air before entering the engine also do they need to b open to air flow as I have a few spot lights I my bar which will cover the front of the intercooler ???
That's not usually the intent of an intercooler. The intent is to increase the air density (by making it cooler), which means you can make more power. Cooler air also reduces the chances of pinging (in a petrol engine), meaning they can tune every bit of power out of it.

Like james said, more airflow and probably a bigger core with front mount, but more piping means boost drop, and front mount is in a more vulnerable spot than top mount (IMHO).

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
A front mount is a cooling medium, but it cools the air the engine is sucking rather than the engine itself.
This does lead to a chance that the car could over heat, but you just have to make sure the rest of the cooling system is in top nick.
And more airflow is always better when it comes to cooling.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Top mount will suffer from heat soak quicker than a front mount due to all the hot engine compartment air rising through the top mount. Front mount will run cooler but have longer pipe work. Also a front mount makes it easier to change spark plugs and access the rocker cover or intake manifold.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,293 Posts
Has any one seen the fins on a front mount cooler, They hardly block air running to the radiator. No issue with over heating.
The extra piping to run a front mount I did not even notice, I did not have to adjust the boost controller or anything just bolt in cooler and piping and instant power .

Disadvantage piping can be a pain in the engine bay but hardly an issue, And if you wanted to run a/c and cooler you need to be a little creative.

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
You already have an FMIC, don't even worry about it, FMIC is far superior to TMIC.

- TMIC suffers heat soak any time you are stopped, whether you have a poxy fan on it or not
- TMIC is a disadvantage while 4WD'ing as it will actually heat the air due to heat soak
- TMIC will fail to act as a baffle to prevent oil from a blown turbo leaking oil into the motor
- TMIC has too small of a surface area
- Bonnet Scoop's do not get a lot of cool air into them despite appearances, test this by fitting pieces of wool attached to blue-tac all over your bonnet to test the wind direction and velocity, you'll be suprised.

Top Mounts are fitted to standard vehicles because they are cheap, i wouldn't waste my time fitting one to a car even if it was free.

Oh yeah and all of my intercooled cars have always had an FMIC (thats 7 of them)

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,293 Posts
Not hard to pull it out and clean , Also better that then your radiator. And mud running cost you more money then a quick wash , so if you can afford mud running a quick wash won't bother you.

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
major advantages of FMIC over TMIC are no heat soak and better cooling efficiency, lower inlet temps and less risk of detonation when running big boost.

IF there was a disadvantage it could be increased lag from longer piping, but usually not noticeable on low spool diesel turbo's. Some mistakes by people are whacking the largest FMIC that can fit which increases volumetric air flow more than the cooling advantage needed, and adds to lag.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Ah the Internet. There are some major wives tales about TMICs in this thread. They are every bit as effective as a FMIC if done properly.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Well i'm backing Paul here all the way. Ive owned two SD33T patrols with FMIC coolers and both were animals. Did not notice any boost drop or lag with the cooler install and I can tell you from actual first hand experience, it was like chalk and cheese. I currently run W2A on my shorty but will be going to a FMIC setup shortly as my W2A is nothing compared to what ive gained out of FMIC.

This is not me arguing against TMIC, simply arguing strongly for FMIC.

Also im with James on scoops, most look like dogsballs.

·
Registered
nissan
387 Posts
Yep, done TMIC first, then a 'basic' air to water, and now fmic.
Should have gone to fmic in the first place.
Tigging all the plumbing up was a bit of a pain in the backside, but that's mostly cause i'm lazy and want everything to be easy.

If you buying a car with FMIC already done, then happy days for you, if heating becomes an issue, get your radiator cleaned at a radiator shop, don't just attack it in the back yard with a gurni.

IMO FMIC would only be second to fancy air to water setups like the lamniova setups and Oldmav's/ARE setup.

Assuming your vehicle is diesel, there's no such thing as too big.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Would love to hear how you guys are getting your fmic's to drop temps below ambient..are you using liquid nitrogen sprayers? Because otherwise the absolute best you can get an IC to do is match ambient, and considering a good tmic will do 10 degrees above ambient in the patrol and you cannot tell the difference between 10 degrees from the seat of the pants then you must have some magic to get below ambient. Or your comparing to crap tmics.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Running 600x300x75 bar and plate ebay FMIC - intake temps of 5 degrees above ambient with 20psi of boost pressure. 2.5" piping - the long way round too...
40 degree ambient - 45 degree intake temps - over 150 degrees coming out of the comp cover...

20psi @ 1800rpm-4400rpm - no lag

How many of you have pre and post IAT sensors on your coolers when testing?
IAT will vary on boost pressure and compressor efficiency...

Probe it, log it, dyno it - otherwise don't comment.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
^^^^ could not agree more. Comments like "it goes heaps better aren't factual".

Running a 600x300 top mount I get... 40 degree ambient - 50 degree cold side - 130 hot side at 28 psi. Surprisingly high pressure drop across the big core.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Seeing as the thread is not headed "Cooling efficiency and data analysis of FMIC/TMIC", I will continue to add my 2c, especially when the question is as broad as "advantages/disadvantages".

The reason people such as Coils and I have gone with FMIC is due to your numerous probes Landy, ill leave the figures up to you mate! Boost&EGT are enough for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts