Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok peeps,

Ive rendered my ol girl cactus., I think my great grandad's -dad owned it and its ready for retirement.

The Mrs piped up and said she'll buy me an early dads day pressie. Her and I went to Supercrap and looked blankly at the Japanese writing on the packets and then walked out. RE: Some were 30W,40W,60W some 80W.

Watts the go? <---get it? for general tinkering and setting things on fire, what is the difference. heating times I gather?

Do I pay 18 bucks for the 30W or 22 bucks for the 80W? Money wise I see the latter being the pick?.:confused:

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
You want/need electric?
What you want to do with it?
Solder gutters or electronics?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh sorry, 240 volt mains

Solder small stuff for "add on's" -----gauges/mods/electrics into wiring in cab

Be gentle as I know as much about electrics as I do designer handbags and fashion.:) but ya cant put a bloke down for havin a go to an extent.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say what? Butane iron?

Yeh daddy likes.The second link is a kit that looks like it could get me in trouble.

Now I can set chit on fire in the cab all nice and easy like.:)

Ok off to jaycar this weeknd for a look see at that kit. Thanks bud!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
25-30w for general auto and wiring. 80w for anderson plugs and the like. I have 3 soldering irons and use them depending what im doing. If you can avoid being a cheap ass and plan on doing various jobs get a soldering station. It holds the iron when not in use (saves burning holes in things) and has a variable temperature.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,988 Posts
id go a 40-60W

they will heat up more but if you don't want to burn the copper/insulation then don't have it in contact with the copper as long...

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I thought it would be simple, I appreciate it guys. I will investigate more. Keeping in mind my last iron got used for 1 hr per 12 months...maybe.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Do your self a favour and spend that little more and buy gas, 240v is bloody slow unless you spend the money to get something decent

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have a few soldering irons. The gas ones are awesome for working on the car.
I have a gas one too (and a few cans of gas) it was awesome but became a tad unreliable but that was more likely due to it being old and abused... a bit like me i guess... haha. I saw it the other day in the shed.. cant remember the brand but it was blue and i think it started with py... in a plastic case.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Elec isn't that slow. Particularly when you hit the tip with a gas torch before :D

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have had a "Scope" 100w soldering iron/station for years. Saves having to buy multiple irons. You can adjust the heat easily depending on what size cable you are doing. You can also buy all the bits and pieces that wear like tips and carbons.

Soldering Stations - power supply unit, duty soldering station, medium soldering station - Warren & Brown Precision Tools
Thats the go. Ive been keeping an eye out at jaycar and aztronics for one to go on special.

Some here http://shop.aztronics.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=14_39_161

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I see a pattern here. GAS.

Ok so I and everone on the planet has a mobile butane gas barby (I call it me bunsen burner)

I have several spare cans in my camp kit. Is this what the GAS irons use?

cheers

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
It comes in a can that has little nozzle adapters to fit into the port on the bottom. Dunno if its the same stuff that goes in those cookers.. i think you do it upside down to load liquid in.

I didnt like the gas one so much as the temperature was inconsistant and the heat that came of the burn chamber was dangerous...

If you are rarely going to use it... get electric. It will work the next time you need it without having to look for gas.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts