Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Chaps

Thursday 24/7/14 I got an Eaton Harrop E Locker put on the front diff of my Patrol. I live in Melbourne Victoria so I went down to their site and got them to fit it.

They advised me that the Genuine Auto Nissan Patrol Hubs can break with the diff locker on and I should upgrade to AVM Heavy Duty Manual Hubs?

Tell ya the truth, I leave them on Auto all the time, I just use low and high range fwd and never had an issue getting into and out of anywhere yet, maybe I'm not trying hard enough?

Doing some research I get the feeling some small bolts that come with the AVMs are **** and as sson as I buy the AVMs I have to go and buy High Tensile steel bolts to replace the NEW AVM ones?

So, is there any other better/kick arse Hubs available?

Is the Nissan Geniune Auto hubs breaking just hype or for real?

As a side note: I am very impressed with the professionalism Eaton Harrop displayed when I went there but I am ****ting myself that I am going to be doing 100klms down the freeway and accidently hit the E-locker button:eek:

Personaly, I'd like to see some sort of protection over the top of it?

So what would happen if something/someone did hit the button at 100klms?

Regards Ed.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Personally, id forget about AVMs, convert your auto hubs to work as manuals (retain the same hubs, but remove the auto function)

The Nissan auto hubs are pretty strong as long as they are locked in manually, this prevents them engaging/ dis-engaging when you start lifting wheels, it is my firm belief this is why people break auto hubs so often, as they become weak from getting "smashed" on/off, people are quick to blame the auto hubs, but i believe it is simply user error, ether from themselves or a previous owner.

With the auto function removed from your hubs, accidentally activating the locker at speed will do nothing, because your hubs will remain free ,until you get out and lock them with your wheel brace.

Ive never broken a auto hub (but i always lock them manually), and i play pretty hard and often, for over 12 months ive run a front LOKKA and so have converted my auto hubs as described, all with no issues.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
It is possible to rig up a relay so lockers can't be activated unless in 4wd. The vehicle knows when it is in low range (there's a green light on the dash), so you could wire it so unless this green light is on, the lockers don't activate.

I had (aging) auto hubs, which started making noises just after front elocker installation. They were then converted to manual.

The only catch was needing a socket (wheel brace too big) and driver to lock hubs in. I have one as part of my toolkit, ready to go in the vehicle for this purpose. The amount of times I was nearly caught out, needing to lock the hubs, but no socket. Multi grips just work.

During a recent trip I found one hub basically cycling itself from locked to free and back again. There's some avm red ones in the mail.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I blew two sets of auto-hubs and upgraded to the AVM heavy dutys on both my Patrols (both have front lockers) and haven't blown a hub since.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Depending on what type of locker people have, front lockers and auto hubs often don't mix as they sometimes don't want to disengage, this is why the autos are made into manuals using the method shown in a link in the DI archives Post #10 with pics.

Ive never heard of auto hubs breaking once this simple mod is done, I could be wrong but I've never actually seen or heard of it.

The Eaton E-Locker is the rolls royce and should not cause you any issues, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just got some GQ hubs and put on mine and works fine.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to infer the locker broke the auto - converted - to - manual hubs.

They're probably just old like the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Mate if you hit the switch at 100kph on the freeway absolutely nothing will happen. The driveshaft isn't turning so the whole assembly is stationary until you slip it into 4wd.

It's more likely you'll bump it offroad and not notice until your steering gets really heavy or you blow a hub. I wired my eaton into the factory diff lock light in the dash so I can see immediately if the wife has bumped it with her handbag.

I've been running the stock auto hubs with the e-locker for a few years now and haven't had a prob yet. I don't often bother manually locking either unless I know I'm going to be doing some back-n-forth wheelin.

Did have an auto hub go recently on another truck but that one doesn't have a locker and got caught up bad on a log just prior.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why not just leave the auto hubs as they are and lock them manually when wheeling?? I really don't understand why people remove the auto function?? I lock mine manually when airing down and run lockers and never had a problem, got a cut down wheel nut spanner that is nice and small and lives handy in the door pocket, I find the auto function fantastic for those oddball times you need 4wd for 10feet or so like if you pulled over and didn't realise the side of the road was super boggy for example, Don't have to get out = win

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
^^^^
Sorry to hijack but the reason I changed mine to manual hubs was so I can reverse the caravan around in low range without axel windup of being in 4wd, I have a long tight driveway down to my shed so it saves the clutch being able to shift into low end idle down to the shed.

Shane

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
ed12371. There is also considerable difference between diff types and how they react with auto hubs, an Eaton should not be an issue, but if you had fitted a lokka etc, they may not want to disengage in auto even if you reverse.

As indicated by CRDshane, a lot of people convert their auto's to manual for towing purposes, it enables them to use low range in 2 wheel drive for certain situations.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
the reason I changed mine to manual hubs was so I can reverse the caravan around in low range without axel windup of being in 4wd,
An advantage.

My AVM'S **** them self after 6 months so I wouldn't use them...
The internals let go and locked up on me...
What do you use now?

Why not just leave the auto hubs as they are and lock them manually when wheeling??...

, I find the auto function fantastic for those oddball times
The auto function is awesome.

Most people convert them to so they have low range 2wd, or the auto part is stuffed.

There's also a held belief that (and I say this, because I haven't combed through it myself) manual hubs are stronger than the autos. The autos also take half a wheel rotation to unlock, and a whole rotation to go from forwards locked to reverse locked.

Speed kills:

Drive a 2.8 and live longer!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah fair point if using low for reversing purposes, I do it a lot in my driveway but it doesn't bother me with the autos as the driveway is not paved, if you had to screw around a lot on paved surfaces different story but if it's relatively straight line it won't do any harm

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
I'am using a aftermarket set of hubs that look like a GQ std hub but I will be going back to a the std gu after I make them manual only...
The reason for that is because these ones have rubbed very lightly on the end of my axle from the day they went on ...

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You made me laugh

Depending on what type of locker people have, front lockers and auto hubs often don't mix as they sometimes don't want to disengage, this is why the autos are made into manuals using the method shown in a link in the DI archives Post #10 with pics.

Ive never heard of auto hubs breaking once this simple mod is done, I could be wrong but I've never actually seen or heard of it.

The Eaton E-Locker is the rolls royce and should not cause you any issues, I'm jealous.
LOL man. My Patrol is my project (obsessive love affair) now. thanx for the advice.

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx everyone

Ok. so between posting and loggin back on I brought these:

Auto TO Manual Hubs Conversion KIT Nissan GQ Y61 Patrol ALL Models C W Braces | eBay

From Ebay.

I like them because they only have 6 High tensile steel bolts (no little ones) per hub.

Now I'm reading the posts from seniors and I'm thinking just leave the Autos on and see what happens? I can always put the new hubs in the back draws and if I blow the old ones, the new ones are there ready to change over.

Cheers guys, I appreciate the knowledge and advice.

Regards Ed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Like others have said, lock them manually and should be good to go;)

I was told by Opposite Lock, they like to wire the E locker up to the 4wd light, that way the front wont accidently be locked, seemed like a good idea:cool:

I have the auto hubs, I lock them when airing down, I just use the tyre iron:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts