Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of mates and myself are planning on heading from Perth to Cape York, and in the planning stages,

Looking for any advice from anyone who has done it, and what budget did you use,
the missus has done a rough budget guide and come up with 30k for there and back.
Just seeing if this is accurate or not

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Seems pretty high, don't think I spent near that much. How long are you going for?

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
I am reading with interest - this is a trip I would like to tackle.

I was thinking that it may be cheaper to send my ute over on a truck, then fly over to meet it, then truck it back and fly home once the trip is complete.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Allot of transport companies won't let you transport anything in your car when they take it, which is a bit of a problem.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,030 Posts
I'd say that $30k is about right if you lived in Perth and don't own a 4x4.

Start with a decent GQ with turbo TD42 for $12k.

To Cape York and back from Perth is about 15000km with a small allowance for a bit of sight seeing on the way. Lets allow 25000km so you can take a couple of months and see every side track there is. Fuel consumption of about 15l/100k and an average price of $2/l will be $7.5k so lets round it up to $8k.

A powered site in a camp ground every night will be about $50/night for 60 nights making $3k.

If you do most of your own cooking with just the odd takeaway you should get by on $25 worth of groceries each per day costing $3k for the trip.

Allow $100/week for drinks for a total of $800 which we can round up to $1k or maybe $2k if you have a taste for Grange.

Toss in another $2k for a few oil changes and other miscelaneous stuff and you come up to $30k including the cost of the car.

If you already have a car and make good use of free camps and national parks you can cut your $30k in half.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
540 Posts
Fyi i did it last time this year already owning a gu iv 4.2 with rtt. Perth-ceduna-coober peedy-uluru loop thru-townsville-cape-burke-darwin-wa coast and everything inbetween. 7k fuel 5k food and accomdation. 17000km in 6weeks

if you want to know anything just pm me

Reactions: Bigbennos

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Hi

Perth, Kal, Laverton, Warburton, Alice (Great Central is a good gravel road). A great drive

Ken

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,030 Posts
Have a read through Leethal's thread for the same journey last year. Read the whole thing from start to finish. It is an entertaining read and a wealth of info for someone else doing the same trip.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/trips-touring-treks-23/perth-uluru-cape-york-nt-kimberley-102095/

He towed a camper trailer and achieved the following economy.
We've done 17084 kilometres, used 3199 litres of diesel at an average of $1.77 a litre totalling $5666.26 in fuel.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Fyi i did it last time this year already owning a gu iv 4.2 with rtt. Perth-ceduna-coober peedy-uluru loop thru-townsville-cape-burke-darwin-wa coast and everything inbetween. 7k fuel 5k food and accomdation. 17000km in 6weeks

if you want to know anything just pm me
7k on fuel over 17000 km is an average of $2.70 per litre, assuming you use around 15L per 100km (17k/7k = roughly 40c per km; thats $40 per 100 km, divide that by 15L per 100 = close to $2.70) possible perhaps through central australia but probably a little high for an average, so the OP could probably factor less than 7k and get away with it.

5k on food and accomodation - thats about $120 per day. Most caravan parks are around $25/night for a couple (goes up a bit if you've got kids) and national parks generally half that, so that leaves you with around 80-90 bucks a day for food. Well food shouldn't cost you much more than you'd spend in a normal week at home anyway, unless you're living the high life. Look at a menu plan and limit your takeaways to try and stay close to your normal home grocery budget. As for accomodation, well the odd night in a caravan park shouldn't make too much difference to your budget if you plan on doing most nights in the scrub outside town. Of course if you are a motels kind of guy then it's going to be expensive.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,030 Posts
7k on fuel over 17000 km is an average of $2.70 per litre, assuming you use around 15L per 100km.
He may be towing a camper or box trailer. In Leethal's thread which I mentioned above, he towed a camper and averaged 18.75l/100km

Cheers,

Edit: on rereading his post I see he has an RTT rather than a trailer. This will help to reduce economy but not as badly as a trailer.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Just scrolled this not reading much but do agree $30k is a bit high, check with Leethal his big trip should be able to give a good ball park figure, i'm interested only to point of enjoying travel diaries, my missus into to much luxory to camp it for too many weeks:(
Sorry Aust mod but after our local annual meetup up I'm well and truly over the blow hard factor that can't be bothered posting they can't make it and are so keen on web then don't show.
Don't get me wrong I like those that turn up even if too many cars to be a quick day just the tossers that can't get of thier butts and say hey I can't make it SHIIIIIT MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

·
Registered
nissan
540 Posts
Fuel around uluru was 3.20 ect and the same across the top, 15-17l/100 on the road. Sat on 110 everywhere and quite a few 1000-1400km days. We did all the hard tracks and all the side routes so you use quite alot of extra fuel. The 5k included food, some basic caravan park fees, beers, park passes, soveniers ect.. 2people.

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Fuel around uluru was 3.20 ect and the same across the top, 15-17l/100 on the road. Sat on 110 everywhere and quite a few 1000-1400km days. We did all the hard tracks and all the side routes so you use quite alot of extra fuel. The 5k included food, some basic caravan park fees, beers, park passes, soveniers ect.. 2people.
Hii

Dont you mean $2.20, on 22/5/14 Diesel at Yalara was 2.21. Going Perth, Meekatharra, Wiluna, Warburton,Alice,Kakadu, Darwin, Gibb River, Broome, Cape Leveque and down the west coast in May (fuel that i bought) was below $2 /l except Warburton(2.47), Yalara (2.21) and Drydale Station (2.40).

K

·
Registered
nissan
540 Posts
Last year mate. Peak season thier was a fuel shortage in areas. Some people waited 2weeks at the servos for fuel. I luckily just got there after the fuel came through at all of them.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the feedback guys, sorry for the late reply been up on site.

Already have a patrol 08 wagon,
was a mates missus who came up with the 30k budget, thou in there budget they have also included 5k emergency money, and the mods to do to there car for the trip,

we also looked at training the cars over to save time, and give us more time to explore on the way back, this is the budget broken down

*CAR - mods to be done before we leave.
LONG RANGE FUEL TANK $1,600
REAR BAR $1,500
DVD HEAD REST SET $500
RAC ROAD SIDE ASSIST $350
NEW TYRES X 4 $1,500
ROOF TOP TENT $2,000

*GETTING THERE
TRAIN - PERTH TO CAIRNS (20 DAYS WITH LUGGAGE) $3,150
FLIGHTS ONE WAY PERTH TO CAIRNS FOR 3 PEOPLE $1,290

*FUEL IN THE CAPE
CAIRNS TO CAPE YORK PENINSULA AND RETURN
2100KM @ 20L PER 100KM (21 X 20 @ $3.00 PER LITRE) $1,260
PLUS ROAD CONDITIONS AND EXTRA SIGHTSEEING $1,000

*FUEL GETTING HOME
CAIRNS TO PERTH
5300KM @ 20L PER KM (53 X 20 @$2.00 PER LITRE) $2,120

*EXTRAS
CAMPING IN CAPE YORK PENINSULA FOR 20 DAYS (there is no free camping in the Cape York National parks) $460
NATIONAL PARKS PASS - APPROX $100
FOOD AND DRINK - APPROX $1,500
SPENDING MONEY - APPROX $2,000
EMERGENCY MONEY $5,000
MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS $3,000
POSSIBLE BILLS WHILE AWAY - APPROX $800
CAMPING IN CAIRNS 4 DAYS @ $40 FOR TWO ADULTS (before and after Cape York) $160
CARAVAN PARK ACCOMMODATION ON WAY HOME (will need showers as can't carry enough water) $300
CHARLOTTE'S BIRTHDAY - APPROX $150
EPI PEN - APPROX $200

ESTIMATED TOTAL $29,940

1 - 15 of 15 Posts