Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,369 Posts
I want to put some some rear drawers in my 2011 wagon. Looking at ones from 4x4 supacrntre is there room at back of drawers for eletricals. Chargers,inverters,fuse block etc also would like to put a rear cargo like in skegs pictures. Need to keep rear seats
There isn't any room inside the drawers (3mm) but as you can see by my pic there is ample room between the drawers and the cargo barrier. Barrier is adjusted to be close to the seats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,369 Posts
Thanks that’s where I was thinking of mounting like in your photos with a cargo barrier I can cut the bottom out?
Sure can. Took me 15minutes with the angle grinder and a can of black spray paint. Structural integrity of the barrier isn't effected and there is plenty of airspace for cooling.
Easiest way to mount equipment is to mount devices on a board or 6mm plastic like I do. Then use double sided tape to adhere the board to the back of the drawers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No problem mate.

Sure can. Took me 15minutes with the angle grinder and a can of black spray paint. Structural integrity of the barrier isn't effected and there is plenty of airspace for cooling.
Easiest way to mount equipment is to mount devices on a board or 6mm plastic like I do. Then use double sided tape to adhere the board to the back of the drawers.

Hi Guys
Iam at the same sort of point on drawes as well. Do you know if you can still get access to the rear child anchor point when the draws are installed. Looking at the 4wd Super centre drawes.

·
Premium Member
25,369 Posts
Hi Guys
Iam at the same sort of point on drawes as well. Do you know if you can still get access to the rear child anchor point when the draws are installed. Looking at the 4wd Super centre drawes.
No. You will need a CRAB bar.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Stephen

I've got the same set up as skegbudley, titan rear drawers and a full size cargo barrier.

Works well, how ever, a cargo barrier starting at the top of the drawers would be fine too.

Just see what you can find 2nd hand
FYI - came across a less than 6 month old set of Kings drawers with wings on Gumtree for less than 1/2 price - couldn't tell that it wasn't brand new! They are now happily residing in the back of the Patrol! I'm now on the lookout for a cargo barrier.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,685 Posts

This is what I have just sorted for my GU. Cargo barrier still in place. What I have done and you can't see, is I cut the marine ply short on the passenger side so that I can at least access the child anchor point on that side. Big bonus is that the fridge is on the floor and I don't need to spend another 600 on a drop slide

·
Registered
Nissan
700 Posts
What’s the gap of where your fridge sit?
Thinking of doing exactly the same but I have a 80l fridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
6,685 Posts
What’s the gap of where your fridge sit?
Thinking of doing exactly the same but I have a 80l fridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Either side of the fridge slide is 50mm +

Is that enough?

·
Registered
nissan GQ
61 Posts
Hi Stephen,
If you're towing a van, be careful with weight. Telstra in Townsville, back in the mid 90s fitted the "Outback" drawers to their Toyota, Nissan wagons. Yes, they were fantastic until the vehicles were weighed & out they came!

I made a plywood box (has now been in two Patrols & now in my D-Max) that I slipped two plastic boxes (similar to a milk crate) where I kept my spare oil, water, spare parts (in one) the other held last minute "odds & sods". My tools were in plastic containers slipped in alongside of the other boxes & two flasks completed the "fill". My fridge & slide was on a piece of ply covering the whole of the rear passenger area, bolted to the floor in original bolt holes.
I have seen lightweight aluminium shelves made up (courtesy of Bunnings & the Grey Nomads Forum).

The load most Patrol wagons can carry is just over 600kg (includes you, passenger(s), all the steel work added since the car left the manufacturer's factory, etc. Yes you can get a GVM increase (which I did) but that only gives you 10% on your GVM BUT does not improve the GCM!
Cheers,
Warren (I only changed cars because of the weight issue)

·
Registered
nissan GQ
61 Posts
Stephen, I fitted a cargo barrier in my GQ because of two things. The wagon had sliding rear windows (ease of access) & a near roll-over at work saved the driver. Behind the driver, the roof was squashed in.
When I bought the GU, I did not fit the barrier screen because access was near impossible. I did see on this forum some time ago a folding barrier but I decided against it.
Warren

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Stephen, I fitted a cargo barrier in my GQ because of two things. The wagon had sliding rear windows (ease of access) & a near roll-over at work saved the driver. Behind the driver, the roof was squashed in.
When I bought the GU, I did not fit the barrier screen because access was near impossible. I did see on this forum some time ago a folding barrier but I decided against it.
Warren
Thanks @Warren600 for your replies, particularly concerning the 'weight' issue - it is starting to concern me a bit too, particularly if I go ahead with my 'tow an off-road toy-hauler' idea. That could be a 2.5 tonne, +250kg downforce on the tow ball, upset to all of this! Stephen

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dept of the Interior makes excellent timber ones around half the weight of steel
Mine have done three cars and 500,000km and still working great
Have 20L bladder in passenger side rear quarter

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Dept of the Interior makes excellent timber ones around half the weight of steel
Mine have done three cars and 500,000km and still working great
Have 20L bladder in passenger side rear quarter
Thanks jwmr - I'll have a look at them. Stephen

21 - 36 of 36 Posts