Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for ways to improve the fuel economy of my 4.8. Currently getting 21l/100 in the GU3 manual on the highway.

I figured that if I could achieve more power without altering the tune I would effectively save fuel.

I ran the stock Patrol on a dyno for a base line starting point. 113kw at the wheels. Approximately 15kw lost through the mud tyres soft compound on the dyno rollers.

I ordered an AFE Power airbox and throttle body spacer from Summit racing and fitted it. Ran it on the dyno and picked up a 12% increase at the treads. Dyno sheet attached.

Also the air fuel ratio was quite rich originally, with the mod it leaned out quite a bit but still safe so I should save fuel.

I also have ARH headers from Summit and a 4WD Supercentre 3 inch stainless exhaust to fit, I expect bro pick up the same if not more power once this is fitted.

The headers are 6 into 1 sequential firing order merged to achieve scavenging. Nothing on the Australian market other than custom could offer this. Will report back once that is fitted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Interesting. It certainly looks like it flows a fair bit better than stock. It'd be interesting to know how much of the gain is from less restriction and how much gain is from the MAF reading less and making it leaner.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
Interesting. It certainly looks like it flows a fair bit better than stock. It'd be interesting to know how much of the gain is from less restriction and how much gain is from the MAF reading less and making it leaner.
I would love to do back to back to back with stock element, K & N filter element in stock housing and then the AFE.

Struggling to find the airbox on summit though?:(

The AFR has certainly leaned out a bit though

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While it does look big on the net in the flesh it is really big. The surface area of the filter is massive and I guess that is the biggest contributor but the extra air leaning it out has and added effect.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
While it does look big on the net in the flesh it is really big. The surface area of the filter is massive and I guess that is the biggest contributor but the extra air leaning it out has and added effect.

That and the much smoother inlet track

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the paper filter from the kit for the dyno run.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
The headers are 6 into 1 sequential firing order merged to achieve scavenging. Nothing on the Australian market other than custom could offer this. Will report back once that is fitted
What sort of difference would you expect that to be against say the 6-2-1 of the Beaudesert headers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would expect better, that's why I went the extra mile and imported it from the USA. Once fitted and dynoed I'll post the print out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it look like it'd fit up to a Nissan snorkel with minimal modding?
It fits straight up to the snorkel flange and factory bolt holes no problem.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Looks pretty. My old 03 4.8 auto made 125kw on local dyno with Beaudesert extractors and exhaust and K & N filter on 35's. Had about 50 thou on the clock at that stage.

Reactions: klappers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's promising, I've got 126kw now, 350,000 on the clock and standard exhaust.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
What sort of difference would you expect that to be against say the 6-2-1 of the Beaudesert headers.
Thats the million dollar question! Well 2-3 thousand anyway :)

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
Looks pretty. My old 03 4.8 auto made 125kw on local dyno with Beaudesert extractors and exhaust and K & N filter on 35's. Had about 50 thou on the clock at that stage.

Out of curiosity, what was it like to drive compared to stock?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Out of curiosity, what was it like to drive compared to stock?
I wouldn't say I felt a massive change given it was pushing the 35's but it did feel sharper and stronger throughout the rev range.

I never had any issues with how it put the power down even with 35's and stock gearing anyway, bear in mind back then it was nice and new and there wasn't much of people playing with tuning that much. Pulled our 1600kg pop top on the 35's easy enough and easily light an inside wheel through corners.

Sad day when I had to sell that truck, best one I have ever had. Twin locked etc and had to sell with only 75 thou on the clock. Reckon I'd just about still have it now otherwise.

Reactions: klappers

·
Registered
Nissan
7,115 Posts
I wouldn't say I felt a massive change given it was pushing the 35's but it did feel sharper and stronger throughout the rev range.

I never had any issues with how it put the power down even with 35's and stock gearing anyway, bear in mind back then it was nice and new and there wasn't much of people playing with tuning that much. Pulled our 1600kg pop top on the 35's easy enough and easily light an inside wheel through corners.

Sad day when I had to sell that truck, best one I have ever had. Twin locked etc and had to sell with only 75 thou on the clock. Reckon I'd just about still have it now otherwise.
If i can avoid it, I will never sell my 4.8. Great truck. Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Final dyno results with the American Racing Headers and 3 inch exhaust fitted. Gains right across the range. 31% at the wheels increase a 36kw gain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pink on the dyno sheet is stock. The green is with the airbox added and the red is airbox and exhaust.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts