Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used or know where to buy an aftermarker lift pump for a GQ TD42?

i have found ones on ebay for hilux, cruisers, troopy etc but not patrols and the bloke sellings these cant get them.

After something similar to this:
Landcruiser Primer Lift Pump 80 Series | eBay

couldnt find anything on the forum or google searches

any info would be much appreciated

Cheers Glen

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Carter HP4600 or a Holley red.

I use the carter but its still a bit noisy.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,201 Posts
Think he means the factory primer pump Mike, not an electric one.

Have you tried Nizzbits Glen?

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Hi Glen
Mate fit an electric pump and forget the lift pump, just fitted a Walbro FRD11 to the ute and it works a treat. Fitted due to lift pump in injector pump playing up but is great when run one tank out and it gets a gut full of air, this pump will self prime don't know about others MikeH mentioned
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
the holley, walbro and carter should all self prime. along with being able to prime up the filter and ip when changing filters and stuff. its next on my mod list for the truck as my ip gets a flat spot around 3k when up it.

·
Registered
nissan
140 Posts
I put a carter hp4600 on mine last week works a treat. Mikegq on here put a intank one from a vl if i remember correctly the only reason i didn't coz i have sub tank. bought off ebay bout 120 bucks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas very interesting:

I have read a few posts on here of members fitting electric pumps near the fuel tank with pleasing results and im considering doing it myself.

I thought those that had done it still has the stand lift pump fitted but i now see thats not always the case.

I was more after a standard one to minimise electrics and standard lift pumps also have the fine mesh fitted. however now i have a few questions :p

1 do these electric pumps have a oneway valve fitted internally to stop the fuel back feeding to the fuel tank when the vehicles is turn off, parked on a hill etc?

2 If the electric pump fails will the injector pump be able to supply the engine with sufficent fuel?

3 is there any side effects or disadvantages to removing the standard lift pump and pressurising the vehicles fuel system instead of having it under vacuum?

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
1 do these electric pumps have a oneway valve fitted internally to stop the fuel back feeding to the fuel tank when the vehicles is turn off, parked on a hill etc?

2 If the electric pump fails will the injector pump be able to supply the engine with sufficent fuel?

3 is there any side effects or disadvantages to removing the standard lift pump and pressurising the vehicles fuel system instead of having it under vacuum?

cheers
1- Some might be one way, but it won't make much difference, the standard fuel lines don't have one so it won't be any worse than standard.

2- If the electric pump fails there won't be sufficient fuel to the engine. The standard injector pump struggles at the best of times. Trying to draw fuel through a dead pump will be nearly impossible for the injector pump to handle.

3-The only disadvantages I've found are: 1 Electric rotary pumps are noisy. 2 If you have low fuel level in your tank, the electric pumps tend to pick up air easily (in my experience)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Patrol_Maverick

thanks for the reply.

please correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt that vacuum from a stand lift pump act as a oneway valve when the vehicles is off?

I suspected Q2 would have this outcome, this is one of the main reasons I was chasing the standard pump.

does fitting an electric pump with a standard lift pump already fitted have any advantages except giving the lift pump as easy life?

·
Registered
nissan
140 Posts
From memory the carter hp4600 is a free flow so if it dies fuel can still pass threw. not like without pump on im guessing but enough to get you home.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the links and pic glort

My lift pump is standard similar the cruiser one i posted which is located under on top of the fuel filter on the RHS of the engine bay. (near brake booster)

I have also use the cav filters and there is no doubt that they filter finer than a standard filter.

have you had any issues with your current set up?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
thanks for the links and pic glort

My lift pump is standard similar the cruiser one i posted which is located under on top of the fuel filter on the RHS of the engine bay. (near brake booster)

I have also use the cav filters and there is no doubt that they filter finer than a standard filter.

have you had any issues with your current set up?
Do you mean the pic and link i put up?? Best thing ive done, having the glass bowl is great to see if any waters in the system, i got rid off the original set up for cost off filters and the hand primer was on its last legs, also the plastic water trap screw to let it out was sucking air. This set up cost $80, and i change fuel filters every second service, so 10,000 K's. At $5 each filter buying bulk its worth it.:)

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
It would appear to me, that there is a confusion here between terminology. a lift pump and a primer. Jeff's and the op picture to me are primers, the electric ones are lift pumps. That is unless I have been led astray which is possible always!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
It would appear to me, that there is a confusion here between terminology. a lift pump and a primer. Jeff's and the op picture to me are primers, the electric ones are lift pumps. That is unless I have been led astray which is possible always!
We should have cleared this up earlier. Shantillylais is correct about the confusion.
Glenry is reffering to the primer pump, but the terminology of 'lift pumps' has taken the thread in the wrong direction.

Anyway, what glenry is best to do (IMO) is fit an electric lift pump and a CAV filter. That way he doesn't have to worry about the fuel starvation problem that will happen at some point (we've all been there), and the CAV filter will keep filter replacement costs down. A hand primer won't be needed as the electric lift pump will do the priming instead. Also cheap hand primers are known for sucking in air and causing problems.
Hope this sorts out all the confusion:D

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Same here! I think the original post was where to get a primer pump body, then OP was told not to bother and fit electric pump!!!. I just put up the pic. for the OP so he can see whats available!! in what he was originally after. lol:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts