Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol cab chassis
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I own a 2008 ST Patrol Cab Chassis with a trademate on the back - very much like a Telstra vehicle. We had heavy duty shock absorbers installed by ARB at the time of purchase. In the 3 years that we have owned this vehicle we have had to have the tailshaft replaced twice and now the vehicle is doing the same thing again indicating the tailshaft needs to be replaced for a 3rd time!. What is happening is that when you first take off you get a slipping sensation similar to the feeling you get when you have moved your seat and it hasn't locked into position. Nissan are now saying to us that the problem is being caused by the after market shockies and telling us we need to go back to standard suspension before they will even consider repairing it. I am just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced anything similar??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
What keeps happening to the tail shaft?

Shane.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
If they are fixing it under warranty then play the game. fit the stock suspension, and then get it fixed and swap back.

What is happening? Shaft angles too harsh?

Is it a true 5inch lift? What was fitted when they did the lift kit? Was it just shocks and springs? or Dropboxes, or caster, etc...

bit more info on your rig.

·
Registered
nissan
11,123 Posts
cannot imagine in any way shape form or fashion that an aftermarket shock would cause a tailshaft to go out of balance. is it throwing the wieghts and stuff off or just wears out the slip joint.
do you grease the shaft every 5k or so???
are they replacing the shaft or just a rebalance?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Nah, he would have a 2" lift but we never have problems with a 5" lift so a 2" lift is going to be fine.
If it were a SWB then it could be a difference story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tail shaft has been replaced twice by the same dealership - both times it has been sent back to Nissan but we cannot get any information back to tell us what was wrong with it!

The car gets serviced every 5000kms - so would they grease the shaft when they do a service??

Suspension Stuff - have you done much work on ST models?? Only ask as most other people - like Telstra have the DX models and I believe the tail shafts are different (so we have been told)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
The car gets serviced every 5000kms - so would they grease the shaft when they do a service??
some places claim they change oil and then dont. So dont assume anything. remember its an apprentice on $2.00 an hour.

misread the 5inch bit from shanes post.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,088 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me either.

Something else other then the shocks is the cause I reckon. You need to locate the noise, that appears to be the first thing to chase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There isn't a noise - just a slipping sensation at take off. It doesn't happen when we are towing our camper. It has everyone stumped!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think there is something wrong with your tailshaft that they have never fixed properly. I have heard Nissan blame all sorts of things on after market suspension. It is just a cop out.

I have never thought about tailshaft differences. The Telstra vehicles do have the big H260 diff so it is possible they could be different. Someone else will know.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
If it's lifted and it has the larger diameter rear tailshaft like some Patrol utes do (I have a GQ coil cab ute chassis which had a larger diameter rear shaft than the wagons), the tailshaft could be hitting the chassis crossmember when the rear suspension is drooping or even at close to ride height. When this happens pressure is put on the slip joint while it's rotating and could be causing problems.
When your camper is hooked up and I'm assuming your loaded up in the back too, the suspension is compressed more and the tail shaft is further away from the crossmember.
The common fix for this is to flip the whole shaft around end to end so the narrow part of the shaft is over the crossmember and further away from it.

I'm just stabbing in the dark that this might be the problem though as you haven't given any specific details about your rear suspension. Look for rub marks on the shaft and top of the crossmember too.
Is it lifted, leaf or coil sprung etc???

I cant see how aftermarket shocks themselves would cause tail shaft problems in any way shape or form! :confused:. What BS!!!

And why wont the dealer explain what exactly is happening? I wouldn't leave them alone until they explain?

Cheers, sudso

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I haven't been on hear in ages........life has got in the way.

After many visits to many different places, having the chassis measured to ensure it is not twisted, we have ended up at a Driveshaft Balancing Place in Malaga WA who have told us that they have seen this problem in quite a few GQ Patrols and they have told us that because of the load that we carry/tow on a daily basis (not the odd weekend like most people) that the Splines in the Tail shaft have a tendancy to wear out - being metal on metal - their advice to us is to replace the splines with Teflon coated ones and this should give us 100,000kms before we have to think about fixing it again.
Nissan still says it is the suspension so won't have a bar of fixing, replacing or even helping in any way shape or form.
We have decided to go down the track of teflon splines - for the cost of $568 - we can at least get back on the road and live the life that we should have been living for the past 3 years.
As far as Nissan goes - they have lost our faith & therefore our business and when it comes time to think about a replacement vehicle we will be looking at a Toyota. In the meantime we will be writing letters and telling everyone that we know, meet or just bump into about our experience.
Thanks for all the advice - I will post a new thread about the whole tailshaft thing as we are very interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem

cheers

Kaz

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Thanks for all the advice - I will post a new thread about the whole tailshaft thing as we are very interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem

cheers

Kaz
Thanks for letting us know what the actual problem was. Yes the splines do wear. Were you getting 'rumbles' through the body?
The spline in my front tailshaft has the same problem, lots of slop in the spline. I found a second hand tight one to put in though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for letting us know what the actual problem was. Yes the splines do wear. Were you getting 'rumbles' through the body?
The spline in my front tailshaft has the same problem, lots of slop in the spline. I found a second hand tight one to put in though.
No "rumbles" just a slipping sensation when you first took off.............now does it between gears as well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts