Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After resetting the ECU, what is the best way to drive to car to get the best performance out of it.....

Should we:
A. Drive like a Nanna.
B. Just drive normally.
C. Give it a big boot full.
D. ????????

If the ECU is learning, what would be the best way to teach it ??

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
Depends on your definition of "best performance" i guess, fuel economy or output power ?

Im gonna go with "B" anyway ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
22 Posts
Drive it like you stole it!!
Fitted my Donator ECU chip on Sunday, tuned it in, to sort out surging, then did the battery disconnect over-night (personally think an hour or 2 should do??) for the ECU to "re-learn"??
Usually did about 6 to 6.8km/L but from other postings this could be normal?? I do have a slightly heavy boot though!! But I can't help but drive fast with its' new chip.... so it's BAD education for my ECU!!
Will have to keep an eye on the Scangauge to see if it learns any good manners, hopefully lower fuel consumption, but not while I enjoy the extra kW available!!
Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
284 Posts
Slight hijack!!
Does disconnecting the battery overnight completely reset the ECU?

Pep

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
After resetting the ECU, what is the best way to drive to car to get the best performance out of it.....

Should we:
A. Drive like a Nanna.
B. Just drive normally.
D. ????????

C. Give it some stick for a day I say for optimum results. You can then drive it like an old granny after that and get optimum economy.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Because there has been know instances where the ECU has not totally reset itself.

whitie for example has experienced this in the past where he disconnected it for a couple hrs from memory. he then disconnected it for the night & a greater difference was noticed when disconnected for the longer period.

I'd just say to do it over night as you generally get home at night & can disconnect it, then reconnect it in the morning before departing for work.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
My guess is that there's some sort of capacitor in the ECU circuitry that holds enough charge, to allow a battery to be disconnected during servicing/replacement without losing the ECU's settings. Leaving it longer (overnight) allows the cpacacity to discharge, and you get a complete reset.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It will remove logged errors & reset all learned parameters, but NOT erase the progamed information.
So is removing the logged errors & reseting all learned parameters enough of a reset.
What sort of info is kept in the Programed Information? (probably stuff i should stay away from:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
It will remove logged errors & reset all learned parameters, but NOT erase the progammed information.
Exactly, so disconnecting the power supply to 're-set' the ecu wont give any increase in performance in the long-term. I have spent 100's of hours on factory mitsubishi ecu's with their software for Evo's and same goes for motecs and autronics for heaps of turbo petrols, and it will over-ride error codes which will quickly be acquired again.

The advantage in the short-term (and what defines short depends on the car in question) is that it will resort back to strandard fuel and spark maps. This is noticed greatly when mods have been added such as exhaust, the oxy sensor will 'fall' outside the normal parameters and richen the mixtures. Resetting the ecu will bring this back to leaner, greater power, but is usually back to what it was within hours. The same effect will happen with a dirty AFM. If poor fuel is used, the knock sensor will pull timing and can be very slow to recover and re-setting in that case is valuable.

And I'm referring to petrols here so spark is not applicable in the ZD case.

Resetting for a fault code like a 'blocked EGR' is a different concept as its not a map but a duel parameter input, so it will be either on/off. Depending on the sensitivity, it may or may not revert back. Boost, fuel, injector timing, afm voltage are all dependent on multiple inputs and wont be 'learned' outside a pretty narrow window which will always revert to a 'comfy zone'.

My guess is that there's some sort of capacitor in the ECU circuitry that holds enough charge, to allow a battery to be disconnected during servicing/replacement without losing the ECU's settings. Leaving it longer (overnight) allows the cpacacity to discharge, and you get a complete reset.
Exactly, or you can turn the lights on or anything else that will pull a current instead of leaving overnight. That can be a problem with some immobilisers ( subaru, new GTR and rx8's etc)

So is removing the logged errors & reseting all learned parameters enough of a reset.
What sort of info is kept in the Programed Information? (probably stuff i should stay away from:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Pep
Your main things of interest is the fuel and ignition maps which are dependent on throttle position and engine load. You'll never modify them by pulling power to the ecu. There are software packages for different engines that can.

The only good ECU I have seen that have a true 'learning' ability is on the R35 GTR, Evo x and I think the new Sti is pretty good too. They'll adjust to exhaust, cams, intakes, etc to maintain same fuel curves.

As far as driving after re-setting, it will have no effect long-term. You can't permanently teach an ecu, it doesnt work like that.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

Should we:
A. Drive like a Nanna.
B. Just drive normally.
D. ????????

on the non-crd just warm it up and let it idle 5-10 minutes. thats it !
afaik it only stores throttle data and thats the only learned data it looses. i suspect its only idle position and fuel mapping is based off that to account for differences in fuel.

CRD is a different story however.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I reset my ECU was after it returned from a service it developed a "Flat Spot" in the power at approx 80km/h........... Wasn't there before the service, I've since reset and it hasn't come back yet, so resetting definately changed 'something' in the ECU

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
The reason I reset my ECU was after it returned from a service it developed a "Flat Spot" in the power at approx 80km/h........... Wasn't there before the service, I've since reset and it hasn't come back yet, so resetting definately changed 'something' in the ECU
Ditto for me after changing the MAF and IMHO it should also be done after the EGR has been blocked as this also alters the MAF voltages.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Thanks for sharing all this info guys! Now that i have everything set where i want it i've disconnected both my batteries and will let it reset over night.. And give it some berries on the way to work..

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Slight hijack!!
Does disconnecting the battery overnight completely reset the ECU?

Pep
No need, disconnect the battery, turn the ignition on to discharge any residual power, reconnect battery. All done in 30secs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts