Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 GQ RXST Patrol TD42
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Well I have recently Purchased a 1996 GQ Diesel 4.2 No Turbo (upgraded from 2011 Navara). The wiring was a mess but other than that she is a little ripper.
Now all was good until I started removing an old car alarm. It had 4 relays tied together under the dash and a horn under the bonnet. I have found where I think they cut into the ignition wire but I think it has immobilized the engine as there is no accessories or ignition. I was hoping to sort it out myself as a good way to get to know the old girl but have run out of ideas.
Any help would be appreciated rather than call mobile auto electrician to come over.
Cheers in advance.
Catweazle

·
Registered
nissan
2,138 Posts
Normally when alarms are fitted they cut the wires near the ignition switch. These two wires are then connected directly to the alarm unit or sometimes relays. All you need to do is find where this has been done, disconnect the alarm wires and rejoin the factory wires back together.

The main power going into the ignition switch is a large White wire with a Red trace. If this wire doesn’t have power check the main fuse under the bonnet near the battery.

The ignition power coming from the ignition switch is a large White wire with a Black trace.

They would of cut one of these wires (possibly even both)

Another wire that they possibly cut is the starter motor signal wire Black wire with a Yellow trace.

Some alarms also connect to the indicators, just disconnect the wires they have joined onto the factory indicators circuits. This is also normally done around the steering column

·
Registered
1996 GQ RXST Patrol TD42
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help mate, Yes they have cut the By and spliced it to the relay the Wr has a wire spliced to it and also went to that relay(power supply?) the other wire on that relay was all 4 blinker wires joined together to flash I guess. Now I join the cut By and still have no power. I can hear solenoids click and feels like glow relay is working but it has cut all accessories. I will go remove the join in the blinker wires and see what happens.
Cheers

·
Registered
1996 GQ RXST Patrol TD42
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks Yendor that worked there were 2 little diodes on the blinker wires Now she is purring like a wildcat.
God I love the sound of that engine. I had one a long time ago in a swb with a turbo and I was young and stupid thrashed it and sold it lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts