Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1999 GQ DX coil cab
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the article in this months 4x4 magazine regarding the 3ltr CRD that didn't make it home due to a fuel pump faliure I was wondering if anyone has or knows of an aftermarket filter for the CRD engine that they can recommend?? Cheers..

·
Registered
63 Posts
My brother fit 2 fleet guard fuel filters in line i will get you some Part numbers if you like for filters and housing.

·
Registered
1999 GQ DX coil cab
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate that'd be great. My filter is the type with the sensor located in the bottom of the filter. Thanks again..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks mate that'd be great. My filter is the type with the sensor located in the bottom of the filter. Thanks again..
Mate it was my truck and the filter i am just about to put on is a Racor 445R cav style filter. Apparently you disconnect the sensor and tape it up. This filter is for the Common rail. It will cost you about $370.00 with fittings from Western Filter in Blactown, NSW.

Cheers

Jas

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hello All
A couple of months ago i posted a bit of information i received from my Injector pumps overhaul centre about the filtration levels of fuel filters on the market. I posted what he told me but at that stage had been unable to confirm.
Today i rang Ryco (1800 804 541) and asked them what their filtration level was on the fuel filters we all use on our Patrols (Ryco 332). The response was that they will filter down to 18 micron which is the same as a factory fuel filter. I needed to contact Ryco as i was unable to locate this information on there web site.
I went looking on the Bosh web site to confirm what my machanic had told me about the 5 micron filtration level on Bosh filters. The Bosh web site was easy to use and i found the following link that confirms the filtration level of 5 micron.
http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/fuelfilters.pdf
The reason i found out this info is the guy who overhauled my pump told me that now the pump was as new i should be using a better quality of filter which i agreed.
I have been using the Ryco filters all the time i have owned the Patrol but i have now switched to the Bosh brand in the hope that my injectors and pump will last a lot longer than last time.
The biggest supprise of all was the price. For years i have been paying around $25-30 for a Ryco fuel filter but i purchased a couple of Bosh units for $15 each.
The only thing i have left out is the Bosh part number which is DN511

i have also emailed Bosh to confrim the 5 micron number and as soon as i receive a reply i will post here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mate it was my truck and the filter i am just about to put on is a Racor 445R cav style filter. Apparently you disconnect the sensor and tape it up. This filter is for the Common rail. It will cost you about $370.00 with fittings from Western Filter in Blactown, NSW.

Cheers

Jas
Sorry to hear about your fuel pump ETNMUD. Apart from the additional fuel filter are there any other lessons we can learn from your misfortune - did you refuel at the same places as the other guys on the trip etc?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Etnmud if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to fix the problem?
Hey guys, The only lessons are that the Nissan geniune filter is not up to the task of Australian fuels. In saying that i have been recommended to use an after market water seperator filter unit which will not only separate the water from the fuel but also filter down to 2 microns on a high filter unit.(Racor 445R). The fuel system replacement come in at a cost of a little over $10000.00. I leave the choice up to you; however Bosch recommended to me an aftermarket fuel filter for the CRD as the nissan genuine filter for a series 6 2007 model CRD is only 17 - 22 microns. Again it is up to you in what you do with your truck but keep in mind that the filters are different from a CRD to old school. I am replacing my filter as i dont want to go down this path again. The other thing i will touch base with is the type of water in fuel. There are three types, 1 is entrained water which if left to sit will be come free water. 2 is free water, the water that sits at the bottom of the tank. 3 is water that is so miniscule it remains part of the fuel (nothing you can do about it). Hope this helps in understanding the preciousness in filtration units.

Jas

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I'm not sure with the crds but with my di I had to install a Holley Blue pump to keep the pressure up, the truck started losing power after I installed a ryco filter.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Howdy ETNMUD,
So does this mean you have replaced your factory filter with the Racor 445R and not put another inline with the factory unit ?

Hey guys, The only lessons are that the Nissan geniune filter is not up to the task of Australian fuels. In saying that i have been recommended to use an after market water seperator filter unit which will not only separate the water from the fuel but also filter down to 2 microns on a high filter unit.(Racor 445R). The fuel system replacement come in at a cost of a little over $10000.00. I leave the choice up to you; however Bosch recommended to me an aftermarket fuel filter for the CRD as the nissan genuine filter for a series 6 2007 model CRD is only 17 - 22 microns. Again it is up to you in what you do with your truck but keep in mind that the filters are different from a CRD to old school. I am replacing my filter as i dont want to go down this path again. The other thing i will touch base with is the type of water in fuel. There are three types, 1 is entrained water which if left to sit will be come free water. 2 is free water, the water that sits at the bottom of the tank. 3 is water that is so miniscule it remains part of the fuel (nothing you can do about it). Hope this helps in understanding the preciousness in filtration units.

Jas

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
...........The other thing i will touch base with is the type of water in fuel. There are three types, 1 is entrained water which if left to sit will be come free water. 2 is free water, the water that sits at the bottom of the tank. 3 is water that is so miniscule it remains part of the fuel (nothing you can do about it). Hope this helps in understanding the preciousness in filtration units.

Jas
with water additives can help or worsen water filtering. a lot of it is due to surface tension. that lets all the water join up and become entrained water. if i remember correctly methanol and petrol makes water get through filters.

the other thing is heat, hot fuel makes filtering worse. that can especially important for CRD's.

I'm not sure with the crds but with my di I had to install a Holley Blue pump to keep the pressure up, the truck started losing power after I installed a ryco filter.
CRD's don't suffer so much from that.

i would run multiable filters rather than just one. a filter dosn't catch everything. you need a 2nd or 3rd to catch what the previous ones miss.

you could also look at something like FASS or Airdog. while designed to remove air from the fuel, simply having 2 extra filters and a pusher pump should help a lot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Howdy ETNMUD,
So does this mean you have replaced your factory filter with the Racor 445R and not put another inline with the factory unit ?

Yer mate thats correct as it is a high flow filter as well. IMHO There is no need to run extra filters as this will cause greater pressure drops prior to the injection pump. As i have had it explained to me from bosch and several other mechanics from Mt Isa the Injection pump creates a vacuum from the mechanical fuel pump which primarily sucks the fuel from the tank throught to the filter. The injection pump draws vacuum from the line and then boosts the pressure up to 30000psi to the common rail before being delivered to the unit injectors. If you place more filters or greater pressure drops accross the filter you will prematurely kill your injection pump as it has to work harder because of the possibility of cavitation, therby destroying your injection pump. All you boffens out there correct me if i am wrong as I can't back this up without the workshop manual only what the supposed call experts have told me. I was told here by Western Filters in Blacktown not to place more than one filter in line with the CRD as that is what will happen. Older ZD30's will use a different filter and will possibly get away with it. Unfortunatley as I have found out CRD's are extremely fussy on the qualilty of fuel. I'll put it another way, I am doing this to save me $10000.00 in the near future. Its up to you individually if you do it. I haven't done it yet but will do in the next 2 weeks as I have to get some time to do it and i also have to manufacture a braket for the new filter to sit on. When I have done the job I will put the photo's up.
Cheers
Jas

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have also fitted a Racor 445R, but I have fitted it before the Nissan filter. I am using a 10 micron filter on the racor with a water sensor. This means that there are 2 stages of filtrations and 2 sensors. I have been running this for 60K without any problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have also fitted a Racor 445R, but I have fitted it before the Nissan filter. I am using a 10 micron filter on the racor with a water sensor. This means that there are 2 stages of filtrations and 2 sensors. I have been running this for 60K without any problems.
G'day mate, is it possible for you to take a photo of install please very interested where and how you have installed. Need some ideas.

Jas

·
Registered
176 Posts
G'day mate, is it possible for you to take a photo of install please very interested where and how you have installed. Need some ideas.

Jas

Jas,

I am up in Brisbane working for the next 3 weeks, I can send you photos when I get back

·
Registered
1999 GQ DX coil cab
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Cheers

Jas
Hey Jas cheers for the quality information & I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune mate. Just one question, do you know if it's still possible to connect the sensor up to the filter?? It's just you mentioned taping it up!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Jas cheers for the quality information & I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune mate. Just one question, do you know if it's still possible to connect the sensor up to the filter?? It's just you mentioned taping it up!
I am not sure but I am told that you can get a racor with a sensor fitted which may be able to be connected to the existing wiring harness.

I will will probably just tape mine up for the time being and get an aftermarket sensor.

Jas

1 - 20 of 37 Posts