Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The horn on my 1990 safari is not working properly; it does not work when the wheels are straight but it does work when the wheels are turned either to the left or to the right. Since I figure I'm going to have to remove the steering wheel to fix this I thought of getting an after market steering wheel. the grip on this one is not very good as it is very thin...

Has anybody replaced the steering wheel on his/hers? I'm looking at ebay for the after market steering wheel; also considering getting a salvaged wheel from a newer nissan like from a titan, or maxima without the air bag.

I've no idea how to take the old steering wheel out though.... so If anybody has any clue on how to do it and point me into the right direction it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
I went to a wrecker and for $20 picked up a late model Nissan Pathfinder steering wheel. Bolted right on and feels/looks great.

Look behind the wheel and you'll see a few phillips screws. undo those and then pop off the horn cover. I think it's a 19 or 21mm nut that you can gun off and pry/wack the old wheel off. Push the new one on and bolt down.

·
Registered
Nissan safari lwb
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jfarsang, I'll check on ralph's junkyard on Mitchell Island see if they have any wheel in good shape. I was worried I would buy an aftermarket that wouldn't fit.

Quick question, the horn cover on the centre of the steering wheel, how did you take it off? Is it screwed on to the steering wheel?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I got mine for about $ 5 by pulling one off a Nissan Mini Van at a local pick & pull type wrecker place. A socket wrench, a small block of wood and a BFH should be about all you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts