Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Authorities have lost contact with an Air Algerie flight en route from Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso to Algiers with 110 passengers on board, Algeria's APS state news agency and a Spanish airline company say.

APS said authorities lost contact with flight AH5017 an hour after it took off from Burkina Faso, although other officials gave other timings, adding to confusion about the fate of the flight and where it might be.

Spanish private airline company Swiftair confirmed it had no contact with its MD-83 aircraft operated by Air Algerie, which it said was carrying 110 passengers and six crew.

Air Algerie plane missing: Contact lost with jet carrying 110 passengers over Africa - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Aliens?

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
Is the earths changing of the magnetic poles stuffing around with the avionics systems on planes or what?

Another terrible tragedy.

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don's right, they reckon they can confirm it has crashed now. Nasty sandstorms in the area...

Hopefully there have been some survivors.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,050 Posts
Hmm, the aviation industry is not having a good year. 3rd high profile flight missing/crashed this year.
Naturally, this year is also the first in which I am traveling internationally on a plane.

Hope there are some survivors to this crash.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,486 Posts
the only up side to these is misses now terrified of flying.
so in 2 years when we go to gold coast for my long service it will be in the mighty patrol.
4wding anyone :D yeehaa

sorry but yeah ehats friggin going on with planes of late??
iits just a little concerning.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,711 Posts
makes me wonder. I am flying from Houston to LA today and then back to Sydney then Adelaide . glad I updated my will yesterday.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
60% of the population is alleged to have a fear of flying. The airlines all claim it is the safest way to travel (why would they say that I wonder?)

Me, I'd sooner avoid it, sometimes you can't so you wear the risk.

When I was about 10 years old I had my first flight. The plane was quite small, a 20 seater I seem to remember and we were only in the air for about an hour. I sat at the window and I'm sure the wing wobbled. I still recall the funny-looking paintbrush things along the edge of the wing.

Anyhow, here's an 'expert' opinion on flying:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
I'm reminded of chicken little :).

I fly long haul often, the world would grind to a halt if we all worried about this, one of my favourite TV shows is Air Crash Investigations, my wife can't understand why I watch it especially if I'm flying the next day, the answer is simple, every time a plane goes down I feel safer knowing that we have learned from the latest experience.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I always sit in the last few seats in the tail section when flying long or short. Its a proven fact this is the safest place on plane to be. I often upgrade but only on 14 hour flights.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,814 Posts
I'm more worried by the fact that Hevensent would choose to go to the gold coast for his long service ...

I fly all over the world all the time and have done so for nearly 40 years, planes and choppers.

Pfft, no good worrying about it all as it is a fact that it is one safest forms of transport known to man.

More pedestrians are killed each year by acts of nature (lightning etc) than there is in aircraft accidents.

To me, the only worrying item is that you have a far greater chance of survival in an land accident that in an air based one.

However, there are some airlines I will not fly with no matter what. I would rather sit in the middle of a war than get on one of their flights (and I did so many years ago, people though I was mad, till one of the evac planes crashed on take off).

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
I don't worry about it. If it is going to crash then im faaarked. I usually fall asleep before takeoff and only wake up for food and beer.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
There sure are some rivet buckets flying around Africa early 1980's. I refuse to get on some no matter how urgent it is. Weve been told no travel across the Ukraine or to use any airliner that flys that route.

A few airlines that worry me is Trans Air Congo operating out of Congo and Kish Air out of Iran. They are serious white knuckle rides and the Pilots high five each other when they land on the run way. I've only done Aeroflot once back in 90's. I dont think they still use old left over cold war bombers now so maybe its all ok to jump on board.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
I only fly Malaysian, Aeroflot, Kenyan and Air China

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
But seriously, I've flown Malaysian and Air China. Would fly with Malaysian before Qantas.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
They say MH17 was a 17 year old aircraft. Isn't that a bit old for an airframe? Not that that was the issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts