Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

just starting out to accessorise this vehicle for off grid camping with a camper trailer.

I have no need for air lockers but mainly tyre inflation / deflation …

Would Like to read your views on the options to have onboard (plumbed in) compressed air or having small portable units?

recommended brands for both options?

thank you

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,104 Posts
I use one of these in mine, didn't plumb it in as I wanted it mobile, si it sits in the draws at the rear, I did a lot of research and after buying I tested it out with great results, used it many times. The idea was to buy something practical, not the most expensive just durable and effective. I did however cut off the screw on fitting and replace it with a clip on, much more gooderer. There could well be better ones around now.

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks GYT.

I am liking the idea of portability. How long have you had this unit for?

regarding some basics - I read about the use of tanks / reservoirs with air compressors in 4WD’s.

why do these smaller portable air compressors not have tanks to draw on?

Your thoughts on the new 300 L/m max tracs portable compressors?

Grunge

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,160 Posts
Tanks are only really useful in a limited way. Most of the smaller 12v compressors don't have sufficient flow rate to make it worthwhile.

And for those that do have adequate flow, you need a larger tank than can be easily fitted to most vehicles.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,104 Posts
Tanks are really meant for a surge, like if you have replaced/repaired a tyre on the side of a road, but there are other ways around that.
I've had this for 6 years now, where you wish to store it will effect the size of the unit you buy. I should have added one more point in why I bought this, it was also not the most powerful, but put all its performance points into one package and I think I bought very well.
That unit looks OK, twin head. where your going to fit it will govern.

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you GYT and dkril.

I have just read reviews of your dr air flow pro unit.

a few statements refer to inaccurate gauge readings from the supplied gauge. I see this is a common concern stated amongst many other portable units. Why do the supplied guages have this common issue / concern?

Grunge

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,104 Posts
Thank you GYT and dkril.

I have just read reviews of your dr air flow pro unit.

a few statements refer to inaccurate gauge readings from the supplied gauge. I see this is a common concern stated amongst many other portable units. Why do the supplied guages have this common issue / concern?

Grunge
I never believe gauges outside of the one I carry, only use them as a guide, most gauges aren't very robust these days. I've got to get a good gauge for the gun I have on my big shed compressor, current one is 5 psi out, no big deal really as I always check with my good gauge, BTW I never trust garage gauges either.

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That’s really comforting to know. Thank you.

can I ask what brand of your mini accurate gauge you use?

how do you feel about not being able to lock / set a desired pressure and let it cut out when it reaches that desired pressure?

I understand those Mac Tracs units allow you to set desired pressures and not have to always sit / kneel with the charged wheel…,

grunge

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,211 Posts
One thing about portables is you have to wait quite a while to pack them away after use, due to the heat. After reinflating 4 tyres from 20back up to 40psi, most small compressors will be hot enough to burn you. If mounted in your vehicle, make sure it's clear of any material that could burn.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,160 Posts
That can be an issue for onboard air compressors too. I have learned the hard way to inflate the front tyres first, because after inflating 4 tyres the disconnect gets too hot to touch when disconnecting the hose. The rear air point, being further away doesn't suffer the same problem.

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. That’s great to know.

Is the use of gloves often applied for hot disconnects?

the latest “150l/m Dr Air FLow Pro” Compresor is housed inside a steel army like container.

I don’t think it is supposed to be extracted from this steel box during use to mitigate the risk of burns.

your thoughts on this design?

Grunge

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,160 Posts
And how are you supposed to disconnect the hose without getting burned? Or put the hose away in its little cubbyhole next to the hot compressor?

Good packaging to prevent damage, and convenient for storage (you can stack stuff on it) but it doesn't solve the basic problem of "compressing air = heat."

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,104 Posts
Interesting. That’s great to know.

Is the use of gloves often applied for hot disconnects?

the latest “150l/m Dr Air FLow Pro” Compresor is housed inside a steel army like container.

I don’t think it is supposed to be extracted from this steel box during use to mitigate the risk of burns.

your thoughts on this design?

Grunge
In my vid I actually comment about the low heat mine produces, sure they will get hot after a lot of use but by the time I wrap up hose etc, it is cool enough to pack.
Checking with separate gauge doesn't worry me, I just want tyres set to correct level.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,104 Posts
Yes, great points to consider.

Geeyoutoo what is the brand of that smaller hand held gauge you use to confirm the pressure?

Grunge
Will let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
nissan
333 Posts
I recommend the kings thumper max, the single cylinder one NOT the dual. From the research I did, it's actually a rebranded tigerz11 unit, and that scored really well against the other units when 4x4 Australia magazine did a test a few years back.

I mounted mine in one of my rear storage draws, hard wired it into my electrical system (I have a wireless remote control wired up to it) and hung the hose on a hook off the rear cargo barrier. It works a treat and cost a fraction of the price of the ARB ones.

·
Registered
Nissan
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Many thanks Neardood1. I will check it out.

do you run this unit off a second battery?

how is the heat load after 4 x tyre inflating / defeating?

your reasons for singe over twin cylinder?

Grunge

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Gday mate asking about portable air compressors is like asking about tire recommendations on this forum everyone has a preference, like tyres there are many brands out there but for me the best one would have to be the ridge ryder brand from supercheap ive had mine for over 9 years now and use it alot, price is decent and it does what its ment to do..
Light Product Output device Microphone Font

1 - 20 of 28 Posts