Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,222 Posts
Any unit with the male fitting on the compressor won't have a pressure switch. That way the unit is open vented and won't build up pressure unless connected to a tyre.

·
Registered
Nissan
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok thanks Dkrill.

All - what heat considerations are needed (if any) for a compressor mounted ito the devs battery area?

Grunge

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,724 Posts
Yes, great points to consider.

Geeyoutoo what is the brand of that smaller hand held gauge you use to confirm the pressure?

Grunge
Sorry for delay, this is what I have, 2 of them, one in car and one in shed, they come with a case. Had them for many years but cannot remember where I bought them. Mine came with cases.

·
Registered
nissan
359 Posts
Many thanks Neardood1. I will check it out.

do you run this unit off a second battery?

how is the heat load after 4 x tyre inflating / defeating?

your reasons for singe over twin cylinder?

Grunge
I run mine off my second lithium battery, though it's not advised for a regular lead-acid type one.

I have 35"s and it does get really hot, I will install a cooling fan eventually as I give it a couple of minutes of break after every tyre.

In my experience the twin compressors are woefully unreliable. My one burnt out on its first weekend away, and the next weekend I helped a bloke in a patrol out who's twin had failed. The motors seem to burn out on them.

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
I have had a delco Remy aircon compressor with tank under my then 1994 Nissan. I have tried many portable compressors since and all take about 10 minutes to go from 25 to 40kps. I took a gamble and bought an AEG 12/18v compressor. It is great and would recommend it.
Output device Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
873 Posts
Took delivery of this today. 9L tank and working pressure between 120-150 PSI with a 100% duty cycle at 100 PSI
Around $360 delivered, but I added a lot of pipe and all the fittings I need. The 2 expensive bits were the 2 nitto fitting at $50 each. Air front and back of the vehicle, remote drain and a separate regulator for the ARB locker which can only handle 105 PSI. Sold as a kit and add what you like. Looks solid with all the wiring and switches included. Will start it up later during the week and see how it goes.

Automotive design Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

·
Registered
2013 GU Patrol Wagon ZD30 Auto
35 Posts
I got myself Dobinsons 170LPM compressor, it has a pressure switch and a little tank built in, and comes with a nice soft rubber hose. But most importantly, it fit perfectly in the back of the truck in that not very usable space to the left of my drawers. I upgraded the air connector with Nitto 200-series one which allows one touch/one hand connection for even easier operation. I put it on a piece of rubber and strapped to the floor so that it doesn't touch anything and makes less noice during operation.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
873 Posts
Fired it up earlier tonight. Much much quieter than I expected. Going to fit it in my drawer system. May not even hear it with the engine running or while driving. No vibrations even. Planned to do the installation over the weekend but got all the bits ready and removed the top of the drawer system. Ready to go in. Then the big work doing the plumbing to the front. Still not sure how I will get there. Don't fancy drilling new holes in the cab. Right next to my fridge installation with a 200A cable ready to supply the power. The only longer wire I may pull through to the dash, is the supplied relay wire and toggle for the dash.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts