Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday,

I am in the market for an Air Compressor for the shed and would like to get some opinions / recommendations from people. 240 Volt 10 Amp preferred as I'm in a Rental at the moment and don't want to pay to upgrade this blokes shed to 15A or 3 phase.

I just bought my Unimig welder this month so the minister is not releasing any funds for more "toys" until mid November.:(

Main Tasks: Rattle Guns / Air Ratchets / Pumping stuff up.

I could get away with a cheapie for that stuff, but I need one that is capable of painting a car too.

Now, the budget. I have been told by higher powers that $500 is sufficient "For a thing that blows air".:rolleyes: But that budget could be extended slightly :Cough: $800 ish

So what have you got / your mates, and how good / bad is it?

Cheers.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,584 Posts
What ever you do, don't buy a cheapo. The recycle centre at my local tip has rows and rows of Super Cheap and Bunnings Specials. For most work, 12 cfm should be plenty although some will recommend up to 20 cfm if you intend to do some serious spraying.

Personally, I have an old 6 cfm twin cylinder belt drive compressor that was ancient when I brought it 20 odd years ago for $100. It runs almost continually when doing any spraying or running any air tools for any length of time, but I have found for home use it has been entirely satisfactory for the purpose and has never ever let me down or needed any major service work. This thing is seriously old school and was made to do a job, not a price. In fact I have been so impressed with this unit that should it die, I will only be considering buying a second hand replacement of similar quality, especially after wandering down to my local tool shop and seeing that most of the new compressors are Asian made these days and of, perhaps, dubious quality.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread may help. Its from a nissan zed forum but is still good info.

What size air compressor?
Cheers mate, there is some good info in this thread.

What ever you do, don't buy a cheapo. The recycle centre at my local tip has rows and rows of Super Cheap and Bunnings Specials. For most work, 12 cfm should be plenty although some will recommend up to 20 cfm if you intend to do some serious spraying.

Personally, I have an old 6 cfm twin cylinder belt drive compressor that was ancient when I brought it 20 odd years ago for $100. It runs almost continually when doing any spraying or running any air tools for any length of time, but I have found for home use it has been entirely satisfactory for the purpose and has never ever let me down or needed any major service work. This thing is seriously old school and was made to do a job, not a price. In fact I have been so impressed with this unit that should it die, I will only be considering buying a second hand replacement of similar quality, especially after wandering down to my local tool shop and seeing that most of the new compressors are Asian made these days and of, perhaps, dubious quality.
Yes I have contemplated looking for a good quality 2nd hand one. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Have come to the conclusion I'm going to need at least 12 CFM Free Air Delivery

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
G-day mate have a renegade 15 twin cylinder belt drive and it"'s great i spray cars no worries and use air orbi's and rattle guns and all that stuff.
I used to use it when i was building boats so its been flogged pretty hard and has never missed a beat.
Also have a chippy mate who has the 13 and hes had his for 13 years in the back of his ute and still going strong.
Keep in mind if you get a large compressor you may need to get a 15amp power point installed, i had one allready for my pool so i just use that..
Trade tools sell renagade air compressors. I think i paid $750 for mine about 6 years ago..

Cheers

Tom.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a one lunger slow speed thing that was old when my old man had it when I was a kid. I think the compressor itself is a Ross. Not sure if they are still in business.

A mate of mine bought one of those cheap twin or tripe cylinder things and the first time I was in his shed and he turned it on I damn near S*#t myself at the racket the thing made. It really did give me a hell of a fright. With all the noise I thought it must have had sufficient output to run a jackhammer but it was only 10 CFM.

Not surprisingly, the thing didn't last long. I don't think anything that seemed to be running at 25,000 rpm would!

As my old plodder is only 8CFM, it can run out of puff when spraying but I have overcome that.
I got a couple of old out of date car Gas cylinders from a local LPG installer and after Draining the gas into a few 9Kg BBQ gas bottles ( Bonus!) I coupled the things up to my compressor with some 3/8" airline.
When i have a bigger job, I open the taps on the external tanks and let the old girl pump them up in her own sweet time while I'm doing whatever i have to to prep for the job.

The large capacity of air means I never get near running out when spraying and the compressor can catch up when I'm refilling the pot or whatever.
Seems to work really well and gives me an artificially higher CFM rating.

I turn the tanks over from time to time and let them drain under pressure but they don't get nearly as much water in them as what seems to go into the main tank which has a proper drain valve anyway.

Another mate took the same idea and uses a couple of those upright 75?Kg LPG gas bottles that he just "T'ed" together with some copper line brazed to BBQ fittings.
Awesome idea, was toying with the idea of having a 2nd tank for bigger jobs. Actually have an old G size Oxygen cylinder sitting in the shed. Think I just found a use for it :bigthumb:

G-day mate have a renegade 15 twin cylinder belt drive and it"'s great i spray cars no worries and use air orbi's and rattle guns and all that stuff.
I used to use it when i was building boats so its been flogged pretty hard and has never missed a beat.
Also have a chippy mate who has the 13 and hes had his for 13 years in the back of his ute and still going strong.
Keep in mind if you get a large compressor you may need to get a 15amp power point installed, i had one allready for my pool so i just use that..
Trade tools sell renagade air compressors. I think i paid $750 for mine about 6 years ago..

Cheers

Tom.
Thanks mate will have a look at the Renegade's this weekend.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Make sure you get a retractable hoes reel. So much easer to keep tidy than just having a hose to coil up.

This, and also, get the good quality ones the first time, otherwise you'll be up for another hit to the wallet.

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you get a retractable hoes reel. So much easer to keep tidy than just having a hose to coil up.
This, and also, get the good quality ones the first time, otherwise you'll be up for another hit to the wallet.

Cheers guys, had one of these donated to me from work so that side of things is all sorted. Just gotta find a quality 2nd hand compressor now.

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
Yeah I'd X2 on quality 2nd hand. Try go for the belt drive as suggested they are pretty indestructible, and not as noisy as the direct drives. I got a quality old 2nd hand one, been going for yonks and not showing any signs of slowing down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.