Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm in the market for a compressor for the shed.

Wanting to run rattle gun, some air tools etc. i'm not a workshop so dont need to spend thousands, just wanta good all rounder and no cheap chit from Superchit Auto.

Recommendations please?

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Hey patrolla,
I spent my money on compressors and two air tanks in the Patrol and run my air tools from there. I can run a small volume, high torque rattle gun, in short bursts, a die grinder, air socket wrench etc.
Works well but obviously I don't have the big air tank capacity or high volume to run things that need big air volume.

I am now thinking about a workshop compressor for my new shed I am building.

Supercrap had their compressors on super sale the other dauy and I went in to look at a $900 compressor that they advertised as reduced to 300 but of course they only had two at that price and both gone. So I rekon have a look at their compressors but also get around to other auto stores. They all seem to be made in China anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
The biggest you can run and afford
larger the tank the better

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I have had a 12 cfm for 20 plus years now but I think when it dies I'd double that.

One thing to keep in mind is that for many air tools you need pressure AND flow so they work properly and continuously.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
1,093 Posts
The best compressor you'll have is the one you make yourself. I have made two so far.

Use a compressor from a closed cuircut fridge unit (no wear from dust etc) and an old gas bottle size of your choice. I bought an old container fridge unit for $18 at an auction and piffed everything bar the compressor. I still haven't used that unit so must consider selling it.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
As a general rule, belt driven, at least 2 cylinder and at least 50L tank.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Judging from mine I'd say 12 cfm minimum, I have a peerless P17 (17 cfm) which is the biggest you can run on 240v needs 15amp socket tho unless you do the dodgy earth pin grind down, not recommend!
The only air tool it won't keep up with is non-stop die grinding like after 15-20min straight it'll need a short break to catch up. Great unit no problems in 5 years, aussie made cast pump can be had for around $900 I think these days.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Judging from mine I'd say 12 cfm minimum, I have a peerless P17 (17 cfm) which is the biggest you can run on 240v needs 15amp socket tho unless you do the dodgy earth pin grind down, not recommend!
The only air tool it won't keep up with is non-stop die grinding like after 15-20min straight it'll need a short break to catch up. Great unit no problems in 5 years, aussie made cast pump can be had for around $900 I think these days.
This is what I would recommend I bought a Peerless 30 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. Mine is 12 cfm which is too small for some tools. I found it useless when trying to run HVLP paint gun, As you need a big volume of air to run them.

I run a rattle gun, Air ratchet, Pop riveter, die grinder in very short bursts and use it for a multitude of things and I couldn't live without it. Just checking the tyres at home is easy.

Reactions: patrolla

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
I have an old twenty year old ingersoll rand 18cfm 40 litre three piston I bought second hand fifteen years ago for $250. Belt driven and noisy as hell...still going strong and four complete car resprays plus two whole house and roof resprays...never misses a beat!

Ingersoll rands now new are starting at $1000 for a 10cfm and knocked up in a Taiwanese factory...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts